After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Doing KORD-KBOS right now, GPU usage only at 45%. How. Why.

Yep doing ULLI to ULMM just now to test this. My CPU usage hasnā€™t gone above 30% and GPU not above 40%. FPS stuck no higher than 30 with no limiter applied.

1 Like

Okay. Rolled back the GPU to 496.17 and my GPU usage is back up to 75% giving more stable fps about 45. But CPU usage still refuses to budge above 30%

not badā€¦ so again a driver stuff related to the gpuā€¦ as mentioned the 30% cpu may be one core ( check single core view ) and this can you may be only avoid with lower some settings ( may be LOD ).

PS: this happens if users duplicate here single issue into different topicsā€¦ the discussion is now more like a spider-net: Worse Performance - SU7 - FPS - #261 by Radioactivegoos

What aircraft were you using?

I tried it in the FBW A32N thats lower frames but similar result with GA aircraft like the DA42 and so on. Although with higher frames. But the GPU rollback and switching LOD to 150 instead of 250 has made it far more playable. But obviously not how its supposed to work. Because 250 used to give happy 50fps

2 Likes

Darn I hate this issue XD
It was all fine for the most part two months ago! What possibly happened?

I think the NVidea driver never really got fixed with the game, thereā€™s something specifically in MSFS that makes those drivers not workā€¦

Iā€™ll try rolling my driver back next time I fly and update.

Iā€™d prefer to be on the most recent driver that worked but I think that was like 20th November or so. But this july driver I mentioned above seems to be alright

last year nvidia driver ā€œkilledā€ Prepare3Dā€¦ so its not specific for MSFSā€¦ the drivers becomes simple to complex, there is to many ā€œuselessā€ stuff in it. We see it just at the size of these so called ā€œdriversā€ā€¦

Okay I just checked, 496.84 was 16.11.2021 so Iā€™d say its probably the most recent before the one that broke everything.
Its frustrating though. Things are supposed to workā€¦ apparently not lol.

I had 40 fps when i started the flight at a complex airport and at cruise level i normally have almost 60fps and limited by GPU. After 3 hours and 37 minutes into the flight and at FL380:

Something on the main thread stays active when it shouldnā€™t and it accumulates when the flight progresses. When i reload the flight the FPS is back to normal. For me this has been the case from the beginning and even with my previous PC.

3 Likes

Itā€™s an insane issue and a huge oversight in my eyes. What this says to me is that the good people at Asobo are not even all-round flight simmers. They are those that fly low and slow and look at pretty scenery. Thatā€™s also pretty evident with the stock ā€œairlinersā€ they sold us. Unusable without third party mods.
Thereā€™s nothing wrong with that way of using it, but they have to understand that thereā€™s simmers like us too who want to do properly simulated airliner flying.
I canā€™t believe they havenā€™t made an announcement of this issue. Sure itā€™s in the feedback snapshot ā€œunder investigationā€ but we have no idea what that actually means. Iā€™d like a real announcement. Maybe its not affecting as many people as I think though, who knows. From what I gather itā€™s affecting most people in most every plane.
Iā€™ve said this a lot, but again, if they want to keep this crowd for when X-Plane 12 comes out theyā€™ve got to fix stuff like this.
Cheers

3 Likes

If i were Asobo i would run a bunch of PCā€™s 24/7 with long flights running to see what happens.

In the debugger they should be able to see how much frame time every task is using.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s just my thoughts as well. When youā€™re at FL380, what is the game even rendering/calculating?
Surely less than when youā€™re at the stand at a detailed payware airport, no?
Thatā€™s whatā€™s aggravating about this issue to me is that it seems like it shouldnā€™t exist at all.
Iā€™m not a game dev, I could sound reaaaally stupid to a dev right now, but to an amateur computer hobbyist it makes no sense.

Now i landed in Kristainsand, Norway after 4 hours.

a

And i go to the main menu and start a new flight on the parking in Kristiansand:

b

Mainthread frametime has doubled after a 4 hour flight.
After a restart it went from 40 to 19ms.

2 Likes

These are interesting findings. Thanks for your effort.

ā€œManipulatorsā€ has almost trebled as well. I wonder if that is the root cause?

1 Like

Here here. I second that