After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

While I agree with your statement, to be fair default aircraft in EVERY sim from fsx p3d and xp are gargabe too

Yes “Manipulators” is higher, maybe this runs on the main thread i’m not sure. It probably does because when it spikes the mainthread spikes too.

I would like to know what “manipulators” does.

It’s a shame the developers are not on these forums.

1 Like

These manipulators are basically click regions that change datarefs, or they can be used to UV map panels onto the objects.

That’s why I suspect this is why the majority of users reporting this are flying airliners. Either it’s the sheer number of interactables in the cockpit, their type i.e. the flight computers in use, or the background processing to display their data on screen, that could be causing it. And why those flying either steam gauge, or Garmin, don’t tend to see it.

One possible notable exception is the TBM, which shares its G3000 with the Longitude, which I believe is also affected?

2 Likes

Yes strange thing is why it get’s slower and slower. Memory usage is fine so it’s not a memory leak but there is work piling up on the mainthread. We really need Asobo to look at this because it’s a major dealbreaker for airline flying.

3 Likes

If any of the affected planes had a working fuse board, it would be interesting to see whether a plane currently affected by this would recover if systems started to get switched off by pulling their fuses. That sounds too simple to actually work, but you never know.

Plus there is no guarantee that any code behind the scenes which has got into trouble would simply stop running because the instrument that displays its results has been turned off.

What are you using in terms of HDR?
On or Off?
Yesterday day i made one flight with HDR ON, with noticeable worse Performance

HDR On.
I am now doing flights without flight plan starting on the runway and just set autopilot to head south and i had normal performance for hours. Now i have to find out what is different, obviously the flight plan but the FBW doesn’t use MSFS flight plans but has the same performance degradation as well.

What aircraft are you guys using when you have this problem?

mostly 747-8

I have the same issue with the A320neo but it’s less noticable

And you have the exact problem that “Main thread” is slowing down over time?
Have you tried just fly a heading without flight plan?

the FPS counter say “limited by main thread”, and no I didn’t try without flight plan

Ok and you have worse and worse performance after some hours?
If you have time can you try to just take off from a runway without flight plan and let it fly at cruise level?

yeah I could try.
like I’m starting at the airport: 30 fps
then take off, cruise: 60 fps
then after an hour of crusing: 30 fps

I do long hauls and its Terrain LOD that needs to be lowered. Just find your sweet spot.

I sacrifice this now and get relative smooth fps 30 ish when coming back to Heathrow after a long haul which is a FPS airport killer.

There is something that causes FPS to drop during cruises, after an hour of cruse

1 Like

That may be another issue. I have tried lowering LOD but doesn’t do anything for me. I have a lot of RAM and VRAM to spare and flying at 350000 feet above the ocean there is no scenery so LODs are not relevant there.

It seems to be an issue with flight plan / cockpit instruments / logic worsening performance after a couple of hours. Something is not getting cleaned up and it builds up work on the CPU without reason. That’s why you see the “Main Thread” and “Manipulators” getting slower and slower.

People with this exact problem please tell us what aircraft you’re flying when you have this issue so we can narrow the problem down.

3 Likes

I get it for default NEO and default 787.

I noticed after a few hours or even just one the GPU usage also reduced as the FPS goes down at the same time. This is the issue and if its not LOD then hope you can fix so I can go back to at least 200 TLOD not object LOD that does nothing. FYI

Thankyou.

When the Mainthread increases the GPU use will naturally go down. They work side by side and because the main thread takes so long to draw a frame the GPU has to wait every frame for the CPU to finish its work and that is why the usage is so low.

We only have to find out what work is accumulating on the CPU over time. I’m now trying to fly without flight plan, fly a heading and see if it happens. I’m not a big fan of the default NEO/787/747-8 so i hope someone wants to test this with these aircraft :slight_smile:

Or Asobo/MS can tell us what the problem is as they can see detailed thread usage with their debugging tools.

Hard to tell what is going on without having access the the dev tool/ source code

1 Like

I found out that Manipulators are being influenced by AI Traffic.

I was stationary at EHAM for a test en let the sim run voor 1,5 hours. The AI traffic around EHAM became more and more congested in the air, and also Manipulators went crazy. As soon as I disabled AI traffic the Manipulators were green again.

1 Like