After SimUpdate 5 & 6: Kepler GPUs with mesh/coast bug

“Enable water flattening” in the SDK appears to work. However, I cant seem to get it to “stick” and only works for that session. Then checked back on again…or not available as noted by Original GuGa. Need to do a bit more research on the SDK and what it effects. Need to see if permanent fix is hiding in a config file that the SDX addresses.

After exiting the game, the settings in the mod developer are reset. Every new session needs to be unchecked again.

Hi @Keiharde, it looks like your SDK was not updated as of the screenshot you’ve posted :

The SDK 0.14.1 apparently made this option disappear, so it could be that the Water Flattening is now ON by default in any case :

Nope :wink:

World map > select airport departure > fly.

ESC > general options > developers > on > apply and save > go back > resume.

Click > options > ground.
Turn off > enable water flattening (uncheck)

Click [devmode] save settings.
Exit dev mode.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip and all right, the fact is that we need to be in flight to see this setting available in [ SDK / Options / Ground / Enable water flattening ] to be unchecked (disabled). I will now check in some well known area having this issue
Thanks again

1 Like

You’re very welcome.

Fly safe capt!

1 Like

Everything works, this option appears after loading

Exactly.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-simupdate-5-6-kepler-gpus-with-mesh-coast-bug/429264/65

Yes, this works. As you say, the trick is you have to be loaded in “Fly” mode.

Exactly mate.

And a precision is we have to uncheck it each time we restart the simulator, as it doesn’t seems to be remembered

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

You’ve probably sorted this out by now but if you haven’t… I had the same problem and eventually realised that my Bing data was turned off (Options/Data/Data Connection/Bing Data World Graphics). Turning it back on fixed it and improved the graphics a lot.

Hi Scupper,

Thanks for the update.

No I hadn’t fixed it, and yes, your fix worked - however, I don’t remember ever turning this option off, but after an update, the chasms just suddenly appeared.

I must admit that I haven’t been using FS2020 as much recently - the bugs introduced with the “updates” have really turned me off it, it got to the stage where it was more annoying than fun, so I just stopped using it…

Thanks for your fix, it has sorted out the appearance of the chasms.

Now let’s hope Asono can fix some of the other bugs it’s created.

Cheers!

Glad it worked for you too.

I find I get crashes etc if my settings are too high for my mid-range system, but I use the following (which I got from a YouTube video: How to get better performance in Flight Simulator 2020 - YouTube) and they work well for me. They can be gradually dialled up until instability occurs again or as terrain/objects etc permit.

Anti aliasing TAA

Depth of Field Off

Bloom Off

Reflections High

Terrain shadows 512

Shadow maps 768

Ambient occlusion High

Windshield effects High

Texture synthesis Med

Texture supersampling 4 x 4

Objects level detail 100

Terrain level of detail 100

Water waves Med or high

2 Likes

I have the same issues with this portals to hell, practically everywhere.
And I’m also on a Kepler GPU: GTX 780TI with 3 GB RAM.

Unchecking “Enable water flattening” helps, but would have to be done every time as it doesn’t stay unchecked.

Hopefully this will be addressed on the 19th with Update 6?? … Would be nice if it remembered the developer settings changes so we don’t have to untick the water flattening feature each time…

The chances are small.

Let’s hope they fix this one.

Is this issue even getting noticed? The workaround does not work entirely. The simulator is still bugged for this hardware. This needs to be addressed or change the requirements and consider refunds. I long in long enough to see the land gone then I just log out until the next update to once again see it has not been addressed. Everyone with these cards should get a refund. Now is no time to buy a new video card.

Considering how long it took them to consider fixing the flickering clouds, which affected a much larger part of the userbase, sadly it is doubtful that this will be fixed in a timely manner. I agree that right now it would be indecent to be asked to upgrade, so I would recommend reminding them on Zendesk that the issue exists with the latest patch.

Although I’m not sure what you mean with the workaround not working entirely, from what I’ve seen in others’ screenshots it seems to completely resolve the mesh bugs. I think that having the water flattening disabled automatically whenever a Kepler GPU is detected would be a good solution.