AI Traffic Touches Down way too late, has unrealistic braking efficacy

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

fsltl AI in use

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

only DLSS3

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

dx12

Are you using DLSS?

no

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I can recommend “AIFlow”. This is Freeware and tries to fight this Asobo Problem. Not perfect, but a compromise until Asobo will fix the problem (hopefully)

1 Like

A hotfix would be nice for sure, but we probably need more of a complete AI traffic overhaul.
And I don’t won’t to mess around with 3rd party tools like AIFlow or AIGround, as good as they may be at some point.

1 Like

AIFlow does fix the landing issue to a large degree. It gets the planes down and landing, even for the larger types which with the original issue would not have enough landing distance and would be continually stuck in going around.

Speaking of tools: In addition to that, I still have hope that the upcoming update for FSHud will help us. This (as the only 3rd party ATC) really controls the AI ​​traffic and actually controls it without the MSFS engine. Within this, a reliable Traffic separation is supposed to work in the future with speed limits, etc. Because of this independence, I have hope that the final approach will also be controlled independently and the shortcomings of the MSFS will simply be avoided. (Beta 1.3 expected within the next weeks).

And yes…a complete reprogramming of traffic and ATC would of course be the best case. Hope dies last :wink:

1 Like

As much as i like MSFS, this is just another one of these mindboggling things. How can they release this, after weeks of reports during beta-testing? I don’t do beta-testing anymore, because it’s totally pointless. It just add weeks of frustration, time and time again.
AI Traffic feels like it has become an arms race between Asobo and addon-devs. Asobo repairs 1 thing and breaks 3 > FSLTL/FS Traffic/AIG try to clean up the mess in the weeks after > Asobo repairs 1…> … etc. etc.

4 Likes

I have testing this bug everyday since SU12 released across 10+ airports. Large aircraft land 5/6 of the way down runway and have to go-around, midsized land 3/4 and small aircraft land 1/2 the way. In addition there are go-arounds for no reason.

This issue and several others is a reminder that MSFS needs a full Sim Update dedicated to AI traffic improvement. It should be prioritized. We will even pay for it as an upgrade.

AI traffic improvements have been the slowest and most under developed portion of MSFS, not just in 2020 edition, but since 1998. They can’t seem to work on ATC adjustments required + making AI traffic engine have intelligence. The problem is that Microsoft and Developers have never wanted to invest in making AI mirror real life, so 3rd party developers do their best to work build arounds like ai models, go-around prevention, landing sequence spacing, ground traffic management.

Lets fix this. I am willing to help in any way.

9 Likes

AIFlow fixes the landing issue with the heavies by designating a target point on the runway. This has gotten rid of heavies running out of runway.

The ai take off and landings in transport fever 2 is superior to whats in this sim. And thats just hillarious.

2 Likes

It doesn’t quite work. I just tried it with an A330 on final approach, and AIFlow keeps pushing it down onto the runway in lots of abrupt micro-steps.
But the aircraft simply refuses to stop and slowdown, and then goes off the end of the runway and ploughs into some fields.
To be honest, after seeing this, I’d rather just watch these AI-aircraft do go-arounds, and hope that MS/Asobo fix this floating landing bug soon.

Yes, unfortunately AIFlow doesn’t make it perfect either. The reason for these micro-steps is that AIFlow fights against MSFS and the landing plane receives conflicting commands as a result. With some settings in the AIFlow ini file you can mitigate the behavior a bit, see the PDF instructions there. You have to try it a bit to get the best compromise. Nonetheless…it will only be finally “good” when Asobo fixes the problem.

1 Like

As Chavez stated, those force steps are the only way to get AI down early enough to have any runway left. I have to ask, was this the first aircraft that landed that you made this assumption off of? Since AIFlow is a program it has to gather and adjust data and plot the landing target. You also failed to mention the airport that this occurred at. Did you bother to try adjusting any of the approach or speed settings? As someone who has been spotting at LAX for the past few days with heavies a plenty, this program works fine. Oh, forgot to mention, did you also have AIGround as well? It clearly states in the documentation and .ini file you need both programs running. If you’re waiting for a fix, see you in August or so since that’s the next SU and everything else before that are world updates and AAU.

Yes, I had that running too – exactly as the PDF had advised.

Ps. As for waiting till August for a fix from Asobo,
Question: Why couldn’t Asobo issue little hofixes for these types of things? Most other software houses do that. When Gran Turismo 6 came out, every few days there were little hotfixes that took only a few secs to install. What is stopping Asobo from doing that??

Gran Turismo is not as complex. Gran Turismo is not a replication of a living world. There are thousands of fights a day with hundreds of movements an hour at general major airports. Gran Turismo is for the most part linear. Takes time to crosscheck everything.

Yes, but for something like this, it shouldn’t need sixteen weeks!
My guess is that it’s something like a simple human-error numerical typo in a glideslope lookup table, for the AI traffic, that needs correcting. Nothing at all to do with the FS2020 being a ‘living world’.

How do you know how long it should take? Do you have any software or computer coding background? Just because you think it takes a certain amount of time doesn’t mean it does. It took me hours to make a simple front page of a website with very basic coding knowledge. In MSFS the AI are ‘living’ by definition, so again how is MSFS not a ‘living’ world.

You can try and let Asosbo off the hook.
But the big picture is that the whole quality assurance of this product is a total shambles.
But even worse, is they just don’t care.

1 Like

They care. Not just in the way you expect them to. If you watch any of the developer Q and A’s, depending on the topic or questions asked, you can see Jorg’s facial expressions change from pure excitement to utter disappointment given the topics. If that’s not caring then IDK what is. It’s clear that some topics bother him more than others because he’s probably just as unhappy as you are about the way certain features are functioning. Unfortunately he’s forced to give the expected business feedback. Stop acting like you have inside knowledge or know how or what other people care about. This is a game. Unless you’re making your livelihood off of making MSFS content or something, there’s room to step away and find something else to do until the development matures more if you’re that unsatisfied. People who are this upset about a game probably should focus on other things in life for a bit. Just as much as people can be upset about others not caring, so can others about people who care too much. Let them do their jobs and stop trying to rush something that can’t be rushed. I have things going on in my life that I wish would happen faster, but guess what? It’s out of my control and I have to just accept that fact and do what I can in the meantime whether I like it or not. This isn’t any different.

2 Likes

I have limited software knowledge but I do know tweaking a single parameter might fix one thing and break 20 others. AI is a complex beast in any title, even more so in FS where everything is a moving target. AIFlow and AIGround has a lot of potential and can lead you down a bit of a rabbit hole!

2 Likes