Since purchasing the MSFS 2024 PMDG 737-800 for £22 ($30 USD) discount and it being my fave aircraft I am now on SU4 exclusively.
I still have 2020 but wont be uninstalling as I don’t need the disk space as both sims run on separate dedicated drives and will probably dip in if they update SU16
I’m still perfectly happy with 2020, my biggest concern is with the battle of trying to get all my logitech hardware to work on 2024, and the time spent so doing.
I may even skip 2024 and wait for the next iteration.
I have a similar spec PC to you, which this time last year I intended to replace for MSFS 2024. However after the launch fiasco plans were put on hold and I now have no intention of switching away from 2020. Aside from the visual downgrade SU16 has brought, the sim runs fine with the aircraft I am interested in, so I have resigned myself to waiting for whatever development comes along. Additionally I have recently moved house and no longer have fast broadband, so that is also a factor keeping me away from 2024.
Yes. Still using and enjoying 2020. Primarily for airliners these days but 2020 gave me great visuals in both 2D and VR for my computer and VR headset. I can even use TAA in VR for crisp visuals of instruments.
The recent update SU4 certainly improved performance but I’m restricted to using DLSS in VR, which still isn’t as clear as TAA.
2020 has inherited some improvements from 2024 which has improved the visuals out the window also. I still fly in 2020 and marvel at the state of the sim.
There are many instances where 2024 still has issues down at ground level where roads are poorly formed or rivers defy physics etc., so at times you wonder what improvements have been made between the sims (apart from the trees).
I’m gradually migrating to 2024 but not prepared to delete 2020 off the computer yet.
Originally my old 8 year rig stopped me from changing over to 2024.
Now, with my new rig, I’m still happy to fly with 2020 and I currently have no motivation or reason to even consider 2024.
I will buy and enjoy 2024 at some time, but the way MS/Asobo have forced 2024 out makes me enjoy 2020 even longer.
I know this sounds negative towards 2024, but that’s what MS have done - they ruined my motivation for a changeover.
I just did another flight infs20 with cows DA40 and I think there is still nothing comparable in fs24 in terms to flight modelling and training capability (except maybe cowsfs24 )
Fm ok fair enough, but training value… there is zero chance ill ever be even close to ones you mentioned, but da40 is my local airport main trainer (plus small tecnam )
After buying 2024 at launch, I switched back to 2020 after like a week. Now with SU4 I’d say I’m back to 2024 full time. The graphics and performance improvements finally outweigh the remaining bugs and quirks, for the sort of flying I do.
The UI still sucks and so does ATC, but I can live with it now.
Very little serious testing is done on Xbox - the giant mouse cursor is glaring evidence of that.
So whilst right at the very end of the MS2024 SU4 beta, performance on Xbox was greatly improved, it felt like a last minute correction rather than part of a concerted plan.. the SU4 beta also broke numerous aircraft and systems as it introduced a raft of WASM instabilities and issues - the PMDG B777s suffer from long in flight freezes which start after around 25-30 mins of flight and then become more frequent.
The Just Flight RJ and F28 don’t load in free flight - the F28 can often be forced to load by restarting the flight several times.
Navigraph updates don’t work on many of the aircraft.
The sound drops in and out frequently when flights are loading and the GUI often freezes up on the world map for 10-20s.
Nothing was down to put any of this right before release of SU4.
And most of the stock MSFS aircraft remain unfinished or totally broken, an indictment of a development strategy that promotes quantity over quality.
When it deigns to work, MSFS2024 can bring an incredibly beautiful and realistic environment - but I’m doing a lot of my flying on MSFS2020 right now - and it’s likely to be a long wait for the third party devs and service providers to get to grips with all the serious WASM related issues introduced by the release of SU4.
A quality over quantity approach would go a long way to improve MSFS2024 - putting right some of the faults rather than bringing us the unneeded Stranger Things DLC would probably have helped matters - as would a serious improvement to the QA philosophy (which should also include serious testing on a COTS Xbox)
I have PC game pass so I have both installed. Generally I like 2024, mostly due to the fast loading times. Even though the controller assignment settings are wonky I still find them an improvement over 2020.
The one thing that is driving me nuts is the night lighting on my system. It honestly looks like I’m flying over Berlin during an air raid. Any place with more than one house or street is lit up like a white Christmas tree and I can see it from 100 miles away. Bright lights that illuminate everything in sight, and clouds positively glow. The Milky Way, as well as the rest of the sky is oversaturated and bright.. I cannot for life of me figure out how to fix this. I’ve tried adjusting the gamma, etc. but it’s impossible to fix. Someone told me my monitor was set too bright which is kind of silly because this is the only application that exhibits this behavior. Not to mention I have my graphics calibrated on my system for photo work, so things are pretty darn accurate over here.