Anyone else still only 2020

Im not willing to trade fpsdrops, ctd, stutters and “white dot curse” for fs24 on my xbox, so im staying with fs20. Youre totally right.

I dusted off 2020 on Xbox yesterday after a frustrating weekend with 2024 (Beta).

The differences were staggering. Most noticeable - no stuttering. And the menus! Instant, crisp responses to every mouse click - unlike in 2024 which I think is the worst part of the entire game, I find every mouse click an unpleasant experience for one reason or another (clunky with guaranteed delays).

It’s a real pity that they left so many good things from 2020 behind in 2024 (and replaced with things vastly inferior).

Every once in a while, I’ll fire up ‘24 on my PC just to see what’s happening and if things are any better, and pretty much leave right away after getting frustrated with having to set up all of my peripherals, or something is clunky, or some stuttering, etc. Then I head right back over to ‘20 and all is right with the world once again. I can fly my PMDG 737s and FBW A320 with no worries, and everything is super smooth. I can’t see myself going over to ‘24 again until either SU4 comes out of Beta and/or PMDG release their ‘24 version of the 738.

I mostly fly the 747, which on 2020 is very decent, but I understsood to be very bugged on 2024, maybe even more than the 747 originally shipped with 2020, before AAU2 made it flyable.

Until PDMG is going to release their version for 2024, or Asobo/WT is going to make also the 2024 enjoyable, i will be staying on 2020 which after 16 patches is very stable and working. No crashes, 400 GB of addons. Not interested to the career mode, and graphycally they are very close - sometimes 2020 looks even better, colder and less sature colors.

They should have continued developing and expanding 2020, focusing on fewer but more substantial updates with new features, potentially paid ones, instead of releasing patches every couple of months.

While they likely used it as a foundation, they ended up creating a completely new project, reworked from the ground up, which will take years to reach something we can call version 1.0 - just like 2020, which only became stable and enjoyable maybe after patch 12.

It’s a shame because 2020 was really starting to shine.

I think they are still developing 2020, just at a much slower rate. But they mentioned a SU17 coming next year. I guess they are using all of their resources to get 24 up to scratch at the moment instead.

I am still an FS2020 user, but I am curious. Since I bought FS2020 on Steam, if I wanted to try the gamepass FS2024 for two weeks, would it in any way compromise my Steam version of 2020, or are the two totally separate in every way, even regarding “administration” and account matters behind the scenes? Also, Steam put my 2020 on the C drive which is now getting a little full. Will gamepass give me the option to put 2024 on another drive with greater capacity?

They’re different installs and won’t clash. Gamepass let’s you choose a destination drive as well (on a per game basis).

Controls are completely messed up on 2024. My TCA throttle is super sensitive on 2024, even while configuring, (which is another pain) 2024 no longer shows the controller buttons - just one example. OTOH, exposure adjustment is a good touch but the sim needs a powerful GPU with min of 16 Gb RAM. There are many such pros and cons. Overall tough 2020 seems a lot more stable and smooth.

I was (and am) happy with 2020, so I figured I’d wait a year for 2024’s release issues and bugs to be mostly ironed out. I’m here now to see where 2024 stands a year later. I can wait a little longer.

Still on 2020, haven’t flown much in a while, more IL2. I keep watching updates on 2024 with interest.

I’m now at the point if there was a Steam sale and it was reduced a bit I would probably give it a bash. Other than that I’ll stay put.

I’ve moved completely to FS2024 (unless I really want to fly the PMDG 737). I’m on SU3 and have avoided the SU4 beta. I’d recommend waiting until SU4 is finished before reconsidering FS2024.

I’ve finally moved completely to MSFS2024 and to be honest I struggle with 8 Gb VRAM but looks good otherwise. Couple of things thus far

Good

  1. Fast load times
  2. Great clouds and better overall graphics
  3. Paid a small fee for upgrading iniBuilds Heathrow from 2020 to 2024 and it is a new build for 2025
  4. Other devs upgraded for compatibility without any charge

Where I had to work

  1. Had to tweak sensitivities of thrustmaster throttle - it was way too sensitive at default settings
  2. Experimented with graphics having just 8 Gb VRAM

Not so Good

  1. Control bindings are a pain - controller buttons no longer are shown, unlike 2020 - why did they mess up so badly?
  2. When approaching the runway on finals for the first time at an airport - in my case LOD of 120, it is all fuzzy and doesn’t help in landing
  3. A lot of addons I purchased for 2020 are still not compatible a year down and ones the were made compatible eat a lot of VRAM compared to ones natively built for 2024

Still here……………

Mainly flying IFR with PMDG 737 so fluffy clouds don’t tick too many boxes.
2020 for now

After trying the 2024 version for a week, I think if you enjoy VFR flying, it might be worth it since there are plenty of graphical improvements. It’s not a night-and-day difference compared to 2020, but some visuals are definitely more stunning now, and the lighting has seen significant upgrades.

On the other hand, if you mainly fly airliners (like I do), I’d honestly stick with 2020. I’ll be switching back to it when I want to take trips on the 747-8, my favorite aircraft, or on other third-party planes that still perform better on 2020 despite being compatible with 2024.

At the end of the day, despite enjoying 2024, i always end my sessions with the feeling that something is still missing. Maybe i still need to get used to the new sim, maybe i still have to setup 100% of the keybindings i have in 2020.. there are still a lot of glitches and bugs which, on 2020, have been fixed/improved over the years.

That being said, I think 2024 is a nice upgrade, but not really essential right now. It essentially does the same things as 2020, with improved physics and graphics, but nothing that third-party addons, including aircraft, haven’t already achieved in 2020.

I’d like to highlight that while many MSFS 2020 addons technically work in MSFS 2024, the versions specifically upgraded for 2024 are usually not free. Most developers charge a small upgrade fee, typically between 2 and 6 euros, though some products such as AI vessel packages, are sold again at full price.

Most of your existing airports will probably run in 2024 with little to no issues. However, if you want the optimized 2024 editions with better performance, improved stability, and guaranteed compatibility, you should expect to pay for the official upgrade for 2024.

I did try 2024 with the game pass few weeks ago. I have not used 2020 after that and yesterday I uninstalled it.

Yes, I have to say that after the SU4, I’ve been on ‘24 exclusively, flying the FBW A320 mostly. And now that I purchased the PMDG 737-800, I think that uninstalling ‘20 is inevitable and just a matter of time.

Thank you MSFS2020; it’s been a great run!

Yep me! I’m not in a position to transition to 2024 as I have a budget PC. I have an Intel Core i5 10400F, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4 GB of DDR RAM, 16GB of memory, and a Logitech Extreme 3D PRO Flight Stick. MSFS2020 is still great fun.