One good think re 2024 I’ve found is that you can get it via gamepass.2 week trial at $1 before becoming a monthly subscription. I tried it about 6 months ago and did not like it.Mostly because of the controls set up. Just too messed up for me.Cancelled before the 2 weeks and cost me $1.Tried it again 2 weeks ago on the same trial basis and was still a mess for me having to try and set up so many different profiles.Cancelled again after 4 days and got my $1 back.I have 800 GB in add ons outside the Sim.I’m not going anywhere else for now.Maybe I’ll try again in another 6 months.
I bought it foolishly thinking ‘it couldn’t be any worse than 2020’ or that, if it was, they had gained enough experience with MS2020 to avoid some pitfalls AND have an advantage when it came to figuring out where the snafus were likely to be and they would iron it out fairly quickly. But when the rollout was a colossal failure all hope went out the window. Subsequent revelations didn’t make matters anything but worse - and the ongoing drag along bugs and legacy problems have left me all but completely disillusioned.
I’m not saying I’ll even buy the next MS flight sim - not just that I wouldn’t pre-order it. I thought there was no way things could have possibly gone this badly. It seems surreal.
MS2020 runs well enough to keep me flying it when I want a civilian flight and I know what the shortcomings are and how to avoid experiencing most of them on a typical flight profile for me.
MS2024 was the first time and the last time I’ll ever pre-order any software of any kind and I really didn’t think I would have to say that.
FS24 was literally utopian idea becoming into dystopian realisation.
the critical fault was the idea of streaming the bulk of the simulator in ‘real time’ and especially during the rollout - when all of the new clients were simultaneously downloading and establishing their initial content, such as it was, and establishing their initial connections to the software and the new infrastructure. Somehow MS was blindsided? That still makes no sense to me.
Then the lack of preparation on their part to ‘fall back’ and allow the local clients to download desired scenery and other features thereby reducing the server side demand, instead of being prepared from the outset for the eventuality of overload and strain is also very perplexing.
Add to those obvious failures for lack of a better descriptor, there were the STILL unsolved legacy bugs and problems from 2020 - as if all were set aside solely to address the SAR and Career aspects of their game…as opposed to ensuring the representation of a viable flight sim, and here we are.
As it was on sale, on Steam, I’ve bitten the bullet and bought XP12. The funny thing is I am getting similar positive feelings that I had 5 years ago in MSFS2020. Looking at a few freeware and payware items to polish it up a little, but very happy so far.
They will be offering the Aerostar for 2020 by popular demand.
I saw that the moment the news came out. At the time of my post they said it was going to be for 2024 only. Happy for those that choose to stick to 2020. I’ve been flying it since it was released into early access and very much enjoy it and I feel that 2020 users will also. A2A are currently developing another aircraft (one they have never done) for 2024. If the demand is high enough and it sells well they may make it for 2020 also. By that time though a significant portion of the playerbase may have moved to 2024.
seems to me that a developer is much more likely to realize their ROI making content for MS2020 since it is past the point where every update breaks every airplane.
If they make content for only MS2024 they are saddled with having to cure the ongoing breakage caused by MS with every SU such that with narrow profit margins due to the extra work just to make the content for the newer sim, and then all the SU repairs, they could end up barely breaking even. At least if they split the difference and model for BOTH sims they might be more likely to make a little profit.
My thoughts on this - not that anyone would ask - is that all of their customers who either A) purchased MS2020 in the year it was released or B) pre-purchased MS2024 and got the Canadair C415 should receive enough Marketplace points to exchange for every MS2024 native aircraft available either with the base MS2024 sim OR that was part of the level of the sim they pre-purchased - in my case the deluxe MS2024 - as they are made compatible with 2020 and this should include every Famous Flyer for MS2024 as well. That way, those of us who have purchased the Albatross for instance would be reimbursed.
It would go a long way toward restoring some goodwill among their older patrons who remember what proper business etiquette and customer service is supposed to look like. Just going by what I read in the public flight sim forums and Discord channels it’s easy to see a good many of us have left MS for Xplane and that could have been mitigated with better engagement along these lines.
So far we did not have to do anything like that. We simply report to Asobo that something broke during SU beta phase, they fix it before SU release and that’s all.
The real cost is in porting the aircraft back to 2020 and then supporting two versions of the product simultaneously after release. It can only be justified if there’s enough interest in 2020 version. We’ll see.
I’ve had few phases with the new sim.
- ”I will move to 2024 as soon as it’s released”
- ”Oh, let’s see how it will be after the disasterous start”
- ”I will wait for a 6 months or so and go to it after that”
- ”I am really happy with 2020 and might pass the 2024”
- ”Perhaps it’s time to go for the 24 is coming soon”
- ”What do I know if I don’t try it”
Now I am on stage 6, tempted but not made my mind.
Why am I tempted when I am actually quite happy with 2020? I might want to give it a try, my disk space with 2020 is running out, more and more add-ons are coming for the new sim.
But I am still hesitating. How much work and time I must invest in tuning the sim, how difficult it would be with the peripherals, do I have an internet connection fast enough.
I know, I am really bad at making decisions.
I think I’m at your #4, I’ve decided that I’ll likely stay with it until either 1) MS shuts it down or 2) 2024 has something significantly better than what I have in 2020.
It’s been great to have month after month of just simming – not messing around with drivers, settings, reinstalls, etc each time an update comes around. I came to MSFS 2020 from FS9 (having never fully adopted FSX) so 2020 still has a lot of appeal to me… provided the servers are working.
Try via gamepass.$1 for a 2 week trial till it becomes subscription at around $15 odd dollars a month.If you don’t like it then cancel before the 2 weeks are up.If you like it then leave it or cancel and buy the full Sim.You may have to re-do your bindings but at least you get to try it.I’ve done it twice over the last 8 months and both times I still didn’t like the set up but that’s just me.It’s an option.
I’m old enough to remember people saying your #4 about color TVs. The old “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” nonsense. We all know what happened.
I appreciate the knowledge though I know not which developer you are or which aircraft you are referencing. My experience was different but it was also pre MS2024
A2A Simulations and the Piper Aerostar.
Not only do I not have 2024, I also hardly fly 2020, I have lost the desire I guess since my favorite plane (757) is not available.
As a consoler I have to say that Microsoft did nothing to push me into FS 24… quite opposite. The infamous white dot trapping you in cockpit, the blurry texture, the constant freezing and stutters there’s nothing to look for in FS 24 from my perspective at least for another half a year
Bad analogy because colour TVs weren’t in any way inferior to black and white TVs. Whereas FS2024 has some aspects that are inferior to FS2020, such as broken aircraft, smaller range of functioning add ons (at present) and for some users including myself, poorer performance on our hardware.
So the choice isn’t between what we’re used to and something better, it’s a choice between what we’re used to and something different. “Better” depends on what differences you are willing to trade for.


