Appallng, unplayable performance after latest update: 1.18.15.0 - please please help me

Hi all ,

I am STILL having ongoing nightmares getting MSFS to e anything like usable.

This is my hardware:

10th Gen i9-10900KF
MSI Z490 UNIFY
Fractal Design Cooling FD-W-2-S3601
MSI GeForce RTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio – running 3 x 4K monitors via DP cables
32Gb Trident-Z DDR4-3200 16GBx2
2 x Samsung 1TB SSD 860 QVO
Seasonic PSU SSR-850FX
EDIT → New 64Gb Trident-Z DDR4-3200 16GBx4
New 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVMeM.2 (main drive)

All the software (Win10, Nvidia, SPAD) is up to date. I am running the latest MSFS software (updated August 2021) after the usual run-around with a random error message that needed to be worked around. Current version is 1.18.15.0

I have set the RTX2080Ti settings exactly as per this article:

My system has 8 x Saitek flight panels connected along with a Honeycomb Yoke A and the throttle quad B. These all work fine in P3D.

Problem:

Running any scenario results in a ridiculously slow unplayable game. Literally running frame by frame – it takes so long that even trying to exit the game takes to the menu takes about 3 mins.

The GPU is running at 100% while the CPU and memory are around 5-10%

It goes without saying that I have previously run MSFS on this system with way less problems and lag like this so I’m hoping this latest problem is something obvious because I’m close to canning the whole sorry POS.

I’ve tried running with and without being online with the same result.

I’m just over this sh!te. Every single time I try to get this sim running following an update, I have more and more problems. Like most, I’ve had it since the beginning and have been so so patient – despite the multiple insanely irritating install-fail loops, CTD, assorted random errors, complete reinstalls, and the latest beauty “mandatory update. Please quit and download the update from MS store” only to find the store thinks you’re all “good to go”. Like most, I’ve been putting up with this debacle for a year now.

I spend 3% of my time flying and 97% of my time trying to make things work – including the attached USB hardware – and frankly the support from MS is pathetic.

I’m literally begging someone to help me because I’m so over this. I invested money in my system thinking I would have a great working sim for all sorts of A/C that I’d be able to use in 4K for reasonable amount of time.

All I’ve got so far is lemons. Literally.

Thanks in advance if you can help

1 Like

I assume ( and hope ) you not use these 3 monitors to let display MSFS in a 3x4K size… It is a old 2080Ti , not a GPU from year 2055 :slight_smile: … The 2080Ti can drive 4K ultra in around 30fps. The impact of Low, Medium ,… I dont know.

In forum are some topics related to (new) issues with Saitek devices. Have you checked that your issue is not caused from that, tried to disconnected it ?

There was an old issue with more than 10 usb devices connected… not sure whether this have an impact.

3 Likes

Moved thread to Self-Service .

As the user above stated, if you are trying to drive 3x 4k monitors that is your issue.

Take everything off but the basic PC with FS2020 and any other Apps you have.

No peripherals except basic Mouse and Flight Stick.

Nothing in the Community Folder.

No other peripheral equipment or extra Software Apps.

Get FS2020 running and then add one piece if equipment or App at a time.

1 Like

Hi all,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write abck to help. Just to address the points:

1. Yes I have run the 3 monitors in 4K at 60k and prior to this latest update (which I believe was addressing maximising the GPU over the CPU), it has worked really well - particularly in simpler sceneries as opposed to busy airports like KJFK or EGLL. And when I say really well, it was really smooth with just a little it of judder noteable at the edges of the peripheral views out of the side windows.

The RTX2080Ti runs the 3 monitors as 1 single monitor.

In addition, in P3D, I got even better results in 4K so one thing is for sure, it has definitely been a LOT better than it currently is.

At 100% the RTX2080Ti is running at aout 70degs (which I think is reasonable) and I have not overclocked anything.

1. Yes - I will remove all the extra USB devices and see if that improves things - and will add them back in as you suggest. Hopefully this will be where the issue is (but as I said, in previous versions, I have had significantly better performance.

2. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll ramp the resolution down.

3. If that doesn’t work, I might just revert to P3D for the timebeing (for which I have all the ORBX airfields in WA (which they haven’t made available yet). I’ve just had so many,many problems with MSFS, I’m genuinely wondering whether I should just go to the Xbox version which looks really good even in comparison to the RTX3080Ti

Once again, I really appreciate your help and if you have any other ideas, I’m all ears .

Cheers from Australia,

Dave

Funny I’ve just seen a video of Austin Meyer talking about this when discussing X-Plane 11 and beyond. And he says for best efficiency the screen needs to be streatched across all three monitors instead of 3 individual displays.

Anyway multiple monitor support isn’t supported right now and having 3 seperate 4K connections will cripple any GPU especially a 2080Ti which I also have stretched or not. Running the game at 1440P on my Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti performance is absolutely steller, no complaints for me.

Personally I think you are asking too much running 4K on a 2080Ti over 3 monitors! These are not MSFS issues but one of possibly unrealistic expectation. Maybe Asseto Corsa can handle this but a filght simulator with the graphics fidelity of MSFS mmm, you will definately have to compromise somewhere to get this to work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

so… you let play the game in 11520 x 2160 ?

I can only repeat what I wrote:

EDIT: may be you can made a screenshot of the graphics setting page

1 Like

4k x 3 is not doable OP, as simple as that.

I hear what you say mate, but I have played, many times, in that resolution in both P3D and more lately in younger versions of MSFS with only a small amount of peripheral judder - in fact after I used the settings I linked above, it was even better for a while until the latest update. There is a very clear and noteable change since the update.

I’m simply saying that I have had that resolution since I started using the RTX2080Ti and in the main have had few prolems (apart from the multiple installation dramas) - particularly when flying in the less complicated scenery areas. But even then, I could actually fly the plane unlike the current situation.

I will take a snapshot, but all the settings are currently exactly as listed in the link above.

Cheers.

Dave

its only that we understand your setting correctly… because it is possible if you divide e.g. the render resolution /3 … or play in a kind of low detail setting… ( may be )

1 Like

No worries. I appreciate your help. I will try the checks as in my first reply, and I will cetainly report some screen shots. Please bear with me.

Cheers

Dave

Update - thanks. Please bear with me:

1. Tried not attaching any USB devices - no change.
  2. Tried P3D with night settings at my local airfield. C210. Pretty smooth. Frame rates 30-50
  3. Tried same scenario in MSFS

I’ve added the following images/vids:

• a brief vid of the P3D flight (including the CNRL-Z info)
  • brief vid of the MSFS flight (including the ALT-Z Nvidia screen)
    Photo of NVIDIA surround settings.
    Photo of MSFS graphics settings
    Apologies for the delay, I had to spend ages reformating down to be able to post.

Cheers

Dave

This.

@CUmicrosoftNT Strip away everything that is not essential, establish performance has returned, and only then start adding things back one by one. It’s the only way to know for sure where the problem(s) are coming from.

Mouse
Keyboard
Single monitor
Primary flight controls
No external panels of any kind
No community mods

If you still get poor performance we just eliminated a ton of work by moving all of that stuff outside the scope of testing.

1 Like

Yes I did try running without the USB devices but kept the 3 monitors to show the prolem that exists significantly more in MSFS vs P3D.

I have also deleted the community folder (which I do bbefore every update).

In the past, I have tried to strip every last MS process/service that is not needed away but with every windows update they replace those services (like edge for example).

Have you by any chance got a list (or point me to one) of apps or services that we can ABSOLUTELY do without for running MSFS? Maybe some legend wrote an .exe that stops all unnecessary processes? Here’s hoping!

Cheers for your reply.

Dave

I don’t have a list, but what I would strongly suggest you strip away everything possible. Leave the bare minimum, so only one monitor as I mentioned before. I I had to point at anything right now, it would be this:

11520 wide is probably just too much for your 2080Ti to drive. Putting that in perspective, it is 5 times wider, and twice as high as I currently use on my 3090 FE. I think you are just asking too much of it.

I looked back through the thread, and I couldn’t see any images where you showed the output from the built-in dev. mode FPS display. My bet is you are very heavily GPU bound due to this.

We need to establish a solid base on which to build on. If you can’t achieve decent rates under any circumstances then we need to look at the hardware. The more you leave in place, like three monitors, the more unknowns, and suspicions we have.

I wouldn’t worry too much about background processes, just ensure that in task manager none of them are using too much CPU time.

Look closer, it’s set to 125 render scale, so it’s actually rendering at 14400x2700…

1 Like

Yes, I just saw that. Without feedback to the contrary, I can’t see this being anything other than the root cause.

Out of curiosity I would love to see the output from the FPS display in that configuration.

omg… you did additional a render-resolution of 125… this again increase the pixels which are rendered to 14400x2700 … These are 40 MegaPixels :flushed:

I pretty sure P3D can also not handle this. I own P3D and a 2080Ti and this card isn’t enough to drive P3D in full details in less than native 4K.

Your settings are not in ultra, but no,… these amount of pixels is way to much.

Before we search other issues, like in Saitek, can you please do a test case and set render resolution at 30 ( I know, may looks strange , but it is a test about the amunt of pixels :slight_smile: ).

I asssume what works fine is , if you choose 3x Full-HD. But 3 x 4K is realy much…

1 Like

Hi all,

Just a quick update as it’s late in Australia now: I deleted the community folder efore the update. I checked it again and it was full. Deleted it and the performance in MSFS is SO much better already.

Just flow a couple of circuits without issue (other than judder in the side windows).

I’ll post some more vid tomorrow.

Really appreciate everyone’s help.

Cheers

Dave

2 Likes