Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL?

They need to remove this METAR injection and revert back to make me use this sim again. Or make options to have it like it was before.

This morning I made a flight from Stockholm to DĂŒsseldorf. there was actually an high level overcast layer. But after passing this layer in descent, guess what was below this layer?

1 Like

We don’t need to guess :slight_smile:

A sea of horrible towering cumulus everywhere, like the world is under volcanic erruption?

5 Likes

I don’t have a plan for how you came up with it, but you’re right
 :rofl:

It’s the same story everywhere now, sadly

But what’s also interesting, the clouds were so close together that it was almost overcast. But broken clouds only around EDDL. METAR Circle? Next time I’ll take a picture when I see something like that again.

By the way, there are still stratus clouds. I saw it a few days ago when I was in Sweden again. However, altostratus (mid clouds). Stratus as low clouds I have not seen them since SU7.

This was the best I could found so far since SU7. Otherwise → TC as far as the eye can see.

1 Like

I’m not really sure that this has anything to do with METAR injection. I mean, probably the title of this thread is not accurate and should be changed.

I believe what we are seeing is an effect of enabling clouds below sealevel as stated in the changelog that I quoted here:
Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL? - #337 by FoxMike1080.

This might affect all clouds - be it METAR or clouds from the “old” system. All cloud bases seem to be too low by the infamous 400m.

Maybe better set that straight so to not mislead the devs into looking for a fix in the wrong place :wink:

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t seen this in SU7 yet - but I don’t test much anymore, I just read along here.
But I think that low level clouds can’t be displayed as stratus because apparently the METAR based part of the engine can’t do it. ??
And that’s what I meant by “it’s not just the cloud height that doesn’t work properly here, or if it was ONLY that”.
Maybe that’s why the “low level clouds” are now also shown exclusively as “cumulus”, because otherwise it looks like a mess (not that it isn’t now :upside_down_face:) - and only cumulus and METAR will never give that what it was before. ?

3 Likes

I wonder if these clouds came from METAR or from Meteoblue

Sorry, you are correct. Fix the cloud altitude problem of clouds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think they came from meteo blue. They were around 20.000 ft.

Ah yes, this is probably why they look okay then. It seems clouds that come from meteoblue still look nice.

All the clouds that come from Metar are this towering cumulus mess

Yep, it seems so. And it can’t stay that way. Stratus are also typical low level clouds.

Sadly I think it will stay this way until the next Sim Update 8 in February. Just like the regression we saw with tree draw distance - it was something we just had to live with until they improved it in further updates.

If they even realize that this is not okay. None of our threeds have been declared as bug at the moment.

1 Like

I’ll take another look around. In Oslo, according to meteoblue, there would have to be medium-high and high clouds, but not low ones. Let’s see what is generated by the sim.

EDIT: Mess? What du you think?

Other direction (look at that lonely towering cumulus):

The lower clouds would have to be 500 above ground according to metar. But they are so low that they almost touch the ground.

Yep, total mess. Clouds still visibly underground/coming out of the ground too

Some of the upper level clouds look ok

1 Like

I also think it would be okay (high clouds) if it wasn’t messed up on the ground.

1 Like