ATR 72 ice system error

Hi there, I am a newcomer to the forum and I hope this is the right place to post my weird problem. I purchased the ATR bundle few days ago and when flying both the ATR 42 and 72, all goes well for more than half the duration of the flight, but then, all of a sudden I get “icing alarms” and a msg “icing conditions : Leave and avoid” …the airplane goes out of route, AP disengages and the speed goes down to the stall point …there is nothing I can do to recover …in the overhead panel all the ice probes are in fault and the anti ice and/or the de icing sistems cannot be activated …I have no idea of the possible cause (not a clue about it) and by the way there were not icing conditions …no temp below zero, no clouds or moisture in the sky …I am completely lost.
Thanks in advance to those who can help me on this one !!!
In case this was not the proper section I kindly ask the moderators to move it as needed and as appropriated.

Thanks

Leave and avoid icing conditions means you must find a route or altitude where there is no more icing …
Normal your aircraft can’t continue to fly if you put all ACW , Anti-icing and de-icing system OFF , ice accretion turns it to a stone …
Change all OFF by ON in check-list and see.

Procedure for operation in atmospheric icing conditions :
• As soon as and as long as atmospheric icing conditions exist, the
following procedures must be applied :
ANTI–ICING (propellers, horns, side–windows) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
MODE SEL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO
Minimum maneuver/operating
icing speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CHECK BUGGED and OBSERVED
ICE ACCRETION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MONITOR
NOTE :horns anti icing selection triggers the illumination of the ”ICING
AOA” green light, and lowers the AOA stall warning threshold.
• At first visual indication of ice accretion and as long as atmospheric icing
conditions exist, the following procedure must be applied :
– ANTI ICING (propellers, horns, side windows) . . . . . . CONFIRM ON
– MODE SEL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Confirm AUTO
– ENG DE ICING . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
– AIRFRAME DE ICING . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
– Minimum maneuver/operating
icing speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CHECK BUGGED and OBSERVED
NOTE :Be alert to severe icing detection.
In case of severe icing refer to Emergency Procedures 4.05.05.
• When leaving icing conditions, DE ICING and ANTI ICING may be
switched OFF.
• When the aircraft is visually verified clear of ice, ICINGAOA captionmay
be cancelled and normal speeds may be used.

4 . 05 . 05 – SEVERE ICING
MINIMUM ICING SPEED . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . INCREASE by 10 kt
PWR MGT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MCT
CL 1 + 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100% OVRD
PL 1 + 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOTCH
AP (if engaged) . . . . . . FIRMLY HOLD CONTROL WHEEL and DISENGAGE
SEVERE ICING CONDITIONS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ESCAPE
ATC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOTIFY
NOTE :In case of APM messages “DEGRADED–PERF” or
“INCREASE–SPEED” Vmin OPS automatically increased by 10kt.
If an unusual roll response or uncommanded roll control movement is
observed :
Push firmly on the control wheel
FLAPS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EXTEND 15
 If the flaps are extended, do not retract them until the airframe is clear of
ice
If the aircraft is not clear of ice, for approach:
GPWS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FLAP OVRD
STEEP SLOPE APPROACH (²4.5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PROHIBITED
APP/LDG CONF . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MAINTAIN FLAPS 15
APP SPEED . . . . . . “REDUCED FLAPS 15 APP/LDG icing speeds” + 5 kt
Multiply landing distance FLAPS 30 by 2.12.

Ciao Poukiki98711, first of all thank you for your prompt reply, really appreciated.
However, based on your reply I think my question was not clear or well exposed.
In a nutshell: I did not put any system off, as a matter of fact, I really did not do any move at all …There were NO ICE and there were not icing conditions in this last flight as of the previous flies when this same dynamic happened.
If you look at the overhead panel image I have attached, you can see the the probes are in a fault state, and I could not even activate the anti ice nor the de-icing systems.
Temperature was +11°C with clear sky and no fog or moisture at all, so I cannot imagine any reasons for the ICE warning and consequent ice systems not functioning.
I decided to post here exactly because what happened is incomprehensible to me

Thanks again for your support.

I wonder why TQ% is at 0.0. It seems like the propellers are not turning and therefore there is no hydraulic pressure available. This is also indicated by the orange messages. This is then the reason for the fault lights. Also flaps are at 15°?

Maybe you encountered an issue I had also occur to me where the TQ% decreased to 0, with thrust setting still at Notch.

1 Like

Flaps were extended because I was in the final descent, I did decrease the speed at around 180 knots …I was not able to realize whether the TQ decreased just before the ice alarm appeared or viceversa …The dynamics are always the same, regarldess of which phase of the flight I was in …stable at cruise level, or descending using VS …all of a sudden the airplane goes out of route, AP disconnects, speed decreases while the plane is banked on the left and then …stall …This is the very first time I experience something like this. If I fly the same flight plan (same conditions) with A310, A320, B787-8, B787-9, B787-10 or Cessna Longitude or again, GA aircraft, everything go smooth …I am really puzzled
In other words, I can exclude the sim is somehow corrupted, and I still believe that maybe I am doing something wrong woth the ATR, but I have no idea of what …
I appreciate your help !!! Ciao

With this precision , you lost ACW ++ , probably because both NP are to low (59.3%) .
In flight , this should not be possible , flight idle NP are normally higher , even with TQ=0% , it looks like you were in ground idle .
Were your PL at FI or GI ? Are they correctly calibrated ?
In which position was power management ?
It’s probably a sim bug you should report .
Sorry I can’t try to reproduce , my MSFS is locked waiting for update , local ISP is out , connection is very limited .

Hi guys ,I have one good news and one bad news …
Last night I was able to replicate the flight in Australia (destination Gold Coast), and everything was fine. This morning I made a short flight from Milano Linate to Venice Tessera (LIML-LIPZ) using the ATR 72.
After completing the cold&dark start up, at the end of taxi when I was on the runway ready for TO, the thruttle was blocked …I could not release the throttle brake and when moving the throttle with the HOTAS the throttle in the atr did not move.
I then aborted the flight and started the flight directly on the runway.
All went smooth until I was reaching the TOD …at that moment same problem …I have noticed that both the lever for fuel SO were retracted (see the attached picture) …but this happened without any intervention of mine …
I assume this same happened all the times before …
I am really discouraged because I like the ATR, but if only 2 flights out of ten go smooth from start to the end …this is unusable …
Thanks again guys !!!

BTW …a couple of days ago I did uninstall the ATR then I reinstalled it.
This attempt was useless … :face_with_thermometer:

Ciao, I checked the hotas calibration and it was OK
Power mgmt was back in TO position because I was in the final descend phase
I tend to exclude a sim bug, because all of the other aircraft work fine

Last but not least, nothing for you to say you are sorry !!! I thank you so much for the time you spent on this one :+1:

I don’t see any attachment. :thinking:

I also believe there is a big somewhere, but I have not found a good easy to replicate it.

And … no way to move these levers to the AUTO position …

Yeah, this does not look good. I never encountered this issue. Maybe something else is interfering?

I agree, but I have not the slightest idea about what it could be …

Were any piloting assistance options inadvertently turned on?

Nop …only the “assisted Checklist” was on

1 Like

That btw I do not even use with the ATR, so I am going to turn it off :smile:

1 Like

Now I am doing the same flight LIML-LIPZ uwing the A32NX, just to see if the A320 FBW can handle it fine …to exclude it is the simulator that is somehow corrupted.
I’ll let you know

1 Like

Flight LIML-LIPZ with the A320 FBW has been more tnan satisfactory, it was perfect.
This gave me one more assurance that I have no problems related to the simulator.
Too bad, but standing things like this, the ATR for me is unusable :frowning_face:

Try the ATR again, now that you have unselected checklist assist.