ATR42/72 Main Landing Gears become "unlocked" after landing

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

ATR42-600 and ATR72-600

Which aircraft version are you experiencing this issue on? (You can find this listed in the Content Manager under the Aircraft Name)

Brief description of the issue:

Main landing gear become ā€œunlockedā€ when green hydraulic circuit is not under pressure anymore after landing

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Do a flight
Land
Feather the engines
You should hear the gear retractation sound
If you have a honeycomb bravo, the main landing gear lights on it will turn to red

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

[/wrap]

Have observed exactly the same issue after landing at EDDK.
As soon as both engines are feathered the landing gear slightly collapses and the plane sinks into the ground.

Before feather:
Imgur

After feather:
Imgur

Indeed. You can see the gear flaps shaking in these video and hear the motors/gears grinding away to extend the gear. Sometimes it makes much bigger jumps and even adjust the wheels relative to the ground.

And even my Honeycomb Bravo shows green only for the nose gear and two reds for the main gear.

Mentioned the root cause and workaround there ā€¦

Same here, did a flight today and in ground landing gear retracted after turning engines off.

My confrimation of same bug.

Our test team is unable to reproduce this issue after many attempts, if there are any other reproduction steps to share please feel free!

Stupid question, did the test team ensured that :

Chocks are not put in place
Hydraulic power is off(either with engine shutted down or manually set to off

Also, weather might be of incidence, I think it would be good to know in which weather conditions they did the landing attempts

Yes, they did all of these tests, plus many more in all types of weather scenarios and airports, so we are just looking for additional reproduction steps or ideas to help figure out this issue.

Please do not use the term ā€œstupid questionā€ when the team is attempting to understand the problem. That is against the Code of Conduct here.

I meant the ā€œstupid questionā€ as I probably know the answer, but I have to ask even if I will sound stupid by asking it.

Iā€™ll try to do some additional tests later this week

1 Like

Looks like the team managed a repro. Updating this to bug-logged.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve also been experiencing this issue - every flight, without fail. Iā€™ve been doing some testing to try and get short and reliable repro steps for you.

1. Start a flight with the aircraft on a parking spot at an airport
  2. Set the aircraft into the ā€œReady to Taxiā€ state on the EFB
  3. Taxi and take off (This is critical, you must take off)
  4. Retract the landing gear (This is also critical, you must retract the landing gear)
  5. Lower the gear and land.
  6. Once the aircraft has stopped, move both condition levers to the ā€œfeatheredā€ position.
  7. Listen to the sound of the landing gear moving and observe that the gear now clip into the runway.

Itā€™s really important to actually take off and and retract the gear. If the test team has been trying to reproduce the issue by feathering the condition levers on a running aircraft without leaving the ground, they will be unable to do so.

As near as I can tell, the issue isnā€™t a bug in the hydraulics, but with the mechanical locking of the landing gear. When the plane first loads in on the ground, this mechanical lock is engaged. Because of this, feathering the engines at this point will not reproduce the bug. Once you retract the gear while airborne, this mechanical lock disengages and the hydraulics retract the gear. On approach, when the gear is deployed, the hydraulics lower the gear properly, but the mechanical locks donā€™t appear to engage, and as far as I can tell, there are no steps that can be taken once the plane has been loaded in that will re-engage the mechanical lock (Setting ā€œcold and darkā€ on the EFB does not seem to engage the mechanical locks). Once the plane is on the ground and both condition levers are moved to the ā€œfeatherā€ position, the hydraulics cut out, causing the still mechanically unlocked gear partially collapse, which seems to trigger the playing of the ā€œgear deploy/retractā€ sound effect.

Please ensure that the test team is actually taking off and retracting the gear as part of their repro steps. Iā€™m an engineer in the games industry myself and I know that if this bug landed on my plate, I would try to repro this by feathering on the ground without taking off because that would allow me to iterate on it faster. With all of the talk about hydraulics and how the External AC Generator seems to prevent the bug from occurring, I might assume the bug is in the hydraulics and not think to actually take off and retract the landing gear as part of my repro steps.

All that being said, if the test team has been taking off and retracting the gear before landing and feathering the condition levers, and have been unable to repro the issue when doing that, would it be possible for you to share the exact repro steps that they have been taking? The ATR variants are easily my favorite aircraft to fly in Flight Simulator and I really want this aircraft to be as polished and correct as possible (and this bug is very frustrating to me), so Iā€™d be more than happy to work through their repro steps and identify the discrepancy to help isolate and identify the root cause of this bug.

2 Likes

Iā€™m now curious about knowing what was the difference between the reproduction and the previous attempts ?

BTW humorous self-deprecating sarcastic responses are accepted :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m glad that the test team could reproduce the issue and the status is bug-logged now.

I just landed at EDDL and shut down the plane at the gate, no power whatsoever anymore, and I still hear the ā€œnoiseā€ and the tires are sunk into the ground.
Looking forward to the fix :slight_smile:

And to report another issue that just occured.

After landing and taxiing to the gate, I was in the process of shutting down the plane. Lever 1 to FUEL SO and then Lever 2 to FTR. Right after moving 2 to FTR I noticed the plane ā€œdropsā€ and the next thing I saw was the ā€œyou collided with an objectā€ screen. It seems like the landing gears collapsed :rofl:

Did never happen before and I donā€™t know what was different this time.

If that error occurs after cutting of engines and you, then, repressurize hydraulics by electical pump the error will disappear. However, if you turn the electrical system off afterwards it will reappear.

I had the same ā€œsinkingā€ issue.

Also, I noticed a constant noise after shutting down the engines. Itā€™s like something heavy and metalic is being dragged around, I canā€™t explain very well.

EDIT: Oh didnā€™t see the noise issue was already mentioned.

I noticed that the plane will not respond to certain commands if you try to make a second flight after landing. I couldnā€™t insert a new transitionn altitude, for example. The FMS kept it at 18000.

What is the correct way to do a ā€œturnaroundā€ in this plane? Selecting the state saves in the tablet didnā€™t help. Do I need to restart the sim?

Known issue, the ATR had it since release. If you close all doors you can use the FMS normally.

1 Like

Same issue here.