Australia: The best places to fly… & add ons and updates for Australia

Where about have you been flying?

1 Like

Last flight I did was from YSHL Shellharbour to YCFS Coffs Harbour. I normally fly around the Illawarra, South Coast NSW, ACT, Sydney, and the Central Coast NSW.

1 Like

I assume you have your own personal aviation headset, you might want to check out this thread: Using a (General Aviation | Helicopter | Military) Headset with a PC - Flight Sound X

1 Like

Impulse Simulations has just released Landmarks Cairns

2 Likes

I think Nethiuz version will be better since he is actually from Cairns. I’ve looked at the Impulse Simulations one and it doesn’t look that great. Also I don’t think OrbX needs anymore money until they fix Brisbane and Sydney cityscapes.

2 Likes

Yes they have, it is the one i made myself, i am close with Josh from Impulse and we decided to drop it under his banner and it is now in 4 locations.

@LtBran2936 Thanks but see above haha, different screenshots were taken. Same package. (I must take better ones lol).
I am always open to any criticism, it’s my first major scenery and i WILL be updating it.
You don’t need to buy from ORBX there is flightsim.com store and impulsesimulations.com directly.

Townsville has started and it is coming along…

2 Likes

Alright sneak peak of Townsville, you might notice a couple famous buildings already modelled in the background.

The Stadium is nowhere near done, no lighting yet and glass isn’t in.
However the current Sim only had it partially constructed so this will be great to have!

We shall see how i go, i learnt a lot on Cairns and will be increasing quality of the cities, i think the biggest issue is textures, i wanted real photos but i see everyone else uses generic facades for their buildings and it still looks decent, i may go that way with Townsville as it makes emissive lighting easier too. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.
I find that taking real photos it’s impossible to get level with the balconies so you always get the underside of them. (You can’t legally fly a drone in Cairns City, i have one).

This is another solo project so give me a month or two from this point.

2 Likes

thanks for the update. I will definitely check it out then. I’m looking forward to Townsville. I added some poi photos and some night lighting photos. Let me know if you have any questions of the Townsville surrounds.

pallarenda02
pallarenda26
Townsville-Strand-at-Night-by-Rob-Bruce-on-Flickr-640x420

2 Likes

Fantastic, i’ve been trying to fit in a drive down there but i have other work as well.
I didn’t even know about the light up sign, these are all things that will need to be done for sure, love the sunken ship. Where is it located?
Night lighting is always a hard one to come across even in online images, most things are day shots.

1 Like

the ship is visible in the sim since the Australia update. Google Maps
I will let you know if I can think of any others.

2 Likes

any one else trying to do the Tasmanian bush trip and have it starting in the water, on hitting the start button it tells me my aircraft has crashed…

1 Like

There was a photogrammetry update for Australia in content manager post WU8… Havn’t managed to fly in Aus yet but if anyone has updated and noticed any improvement (looking at you Adelaide!) ???

1 Like

Orbx would only be taking a cut from the sale of Landmarks Cairns, the majority would be going to the developer Nethiuz. Orbx is working on fixing Brisbane Landmarks and Sydney Cityscape but “Adjusting hundreds of objects and polygons to match the new photogrammetry content is a major undertaking”:

^ Photo is Landmarks Brisbane

Orbx might hand to start from scratch again as there was an update to World Update VII: Australia after installing WU8.

You can follow Orbx’s progress here: Compatibility news regarding World Update VII - Australia

@Nethiuz Impulse Simulations still has MSFS Cairns Landmarks as coming soon.

1 Like

It does indeed take time to fix the issues photogrammetry has brought up, ORBX isn’t the only people having problems with current scenery.

It seems a few people were seeing old versions of the Impulse site and it should be fixed now.

It works perfect for me:

Try going to Profile → Content Manager and find World Update VII: Australia and click the blue button to the right of it:

then click on both of these so that they get ticked:
Australia - Points Of Interest
Bush Trip - Tasmanian Odyssey

then click the Delete button and click Yes.

Now disable your anti-virus software.

Click on both of these so that they get ticked:
Australia - Points Of Interest
Bush Trip - Tasmanian Odyssey

then click the Download button.

After it has finished downloading click on the blue box icon up the top:
then quit and restart MSFS and then test out the Tasmanian bush trip.

1 Like

Orbx has released YMEN Essendon Airport

2 Likes

ORBX has updated the Brisbane City scenery to work properly with WU7

2 Likes

Is any work getting done by Microsoft on helipads in Australia ready for helicopters?

I don’t think they’ve said anything but they’ll need to do work around the world in heli pads so one has to expect they’ll have someone on it.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s hard to keep up. Helicopters should be amazing.