Auto rudder after landing?!

Usually that happens when the folder that contains the config file is set to Read Only. Which is common when your PC user account is not an Administrator. Meaning everytime you make changes to the setting, it never gets saved when you close and restart the sim.

Just go to the MSFS folder, and make sure the whole folders and sub-folders are NOT set to Read Only. Then start MSFS, make sure you’re online as well and logged into your Xbox account, make the changes. Then exit the sim. Then restart again and check to make sure your changes are saved.

Reading and acting on these issues doesn’t really help if they’re difficult to replicate. I myself never able to replicate this auto-rudder upon landing. So the fact that I never had the problem while you do, means that there’s a setting or a setup that’s different between us. Not necessarily a bug in the system. Otherwise, I would have been able to replicate the issue.

LOL it’s clearly a bug. It’s happening to hundreds of people across all platforms. It happens to me frequently regardless of peripheral settings or making no changes at all.

Crazy thing is it has stopped for me the past few flights. I did pattern work in the Latty, CJ, and the A320 and have not had it happen again. I didn’t change anything either to my knowledge so not entirely sure what happened.

I just jinxed myself. Just did it to me on landing in the 320. This time it started to use the rudder immediately and already put the turn off markers/arrows. I didn’t change a thing with my assists or controls. I know @Neo4316 says it can’t be a bug but how are so many people having issues. There’s no way everyone has the same exact set up a specific way we’re only we have the issue. Especially to where it doesn’t always do it.

Also, how is it that some people never have this bug? Like me?

OK, I have experience this the very first time after the November updated and first I thought it was a bug as I was not able to steer my aircraft anymore properly after landing. After some more testing I found out, that my aircraft actually steers automatically to the assigned gate. I will check the AI Ruder setting. Maybe I can turn that there off, but now knowing what it is doing, I actually like that feature as it is very difficult to read the airport pathway signs.

Hey, I thought it was a bug first, too. But then I just to let to do what it want to do, and it turned out it was trying to steer me automatically to the assigned gate for parking. I know with the latest update there were settings lost. I think there must be somewhere a setting to turn that off, if needed. I actually liked this feature as I always have a hard time to find my assigned gate. Someone wrote there is a AI Rudder setting. Maybe that is the one, to turn it off.

I think what the plane is trying to do is to steer you automatically to the assigned gate for parking after landing. That what it did for be. I thought it was a bug first, too. Maybe there is a AI Rudder setting where this can be turned off. I still looking for that.

My AI settings are all turned off. The auto rudder happens (to the left) even while taking off. And after landing even at small airstrips where there is no parking option. Your deduction is good based on your experience but unfortunately that’s not what’s been happening. However, I haven’t noticed it after landing since the latest update, but while taking off, there is always a pull to the left, and while trying to correct it even gently with a rudder stick on the controller, the aircraft loses balance and either one wing is dragging on the concrete or I have to pull up earlier than the required speed.

All in all, take-offs and landings have become a nuisance.

Moreover, Extra 330 LT’s heading goes to the left by 5° every 30 seconds in mid-air! Whereas, Diamond DA 62 does the opposite: to the right, 5° every couple of minutes.

I had a problem with the trim resetting itself but that seems to have been cured since the latest update. However, there’s no mention of it in the release notes.

I have the same problem after landing too…

It is indeed difficult to determine the root cause of the issues, as you said, everyone has different setup. And some people don’t have the issue, while others have. And it is difficult since we need to know what the common setup is for the people who don’t have the issue versus the people who do.

There’s also lack of understanding the whole feature that MSFS has and where those features are located.

For example, I released an addon called Subtle Taxi Ribbon. In there, I get frequent comments saying how good it is, but asking if I could also remove the boxes that appears on approach before landing.

I replied, those two settings are separate, I don’t need to remove the landing guidance boxes because you can turn it off separately in the assistance menu while keeping the taxi ribbon setting enabled. But they insist that if they turn it off, they also turn off the taxi ribbon. For me that doesn’t make sense because my setup is set that way, Landing Guidance Off, while Taxi Ribbon On.

Only when we had a lengthy conversation, that we realised that the person was talking about the Flight Assistance menu that you can open from the toolbar from inside the flight session. That setting does make both Taxi Ribbon and Landing Guidance appear/disappear as a combined single switch.

Only when I explained it in detail that they have to go to the PAUSE Menu, to the Assistance settings, Turn every assistance to Hard/True to Life, and only enable the Taxi Ribbon. That they can get it working. I’ve been explaining something through a specific menu, but they misunderstood and didn’t realise that they’re setting up from the wrong menu.

This is what I mean, I’ve gone through every single page in my sim options, I go through every single line in there. I turn off All assists both in the flight session toolbar menu, but also from the Pause Menu Assistance. I also make sure I don’t have duplicate binding, I don’t use rudder pedals, and all that. And I just want to make sure that other people are also doing the same due diligence before labelling it as a “bug”.

Because “By Default” the sim will Give you assists. And you have to know where the right setting to turn off so you have full control over your flight and controls. And you can’t do it by just looking at the place that “you think” is where it is. The sim could put the setting somewhere else that you don’t realise. (Like the HUD on external Cam. It was usually on Camera Setting, now it’s moved to Assistance setting and it is “enabled by default”. If you don’t know that this setting is moved into a sub-menu in another menu, you won’t know how to turn it off. And it is this due diligence that people need to do if you want the sim behaves the way you want it to.

2 Likes

I’m on Xbox series S as well with the Hotas. This happens to me on prop planes only. Even the kingair. Non-issue with jets. Immediately upon touch down my prop aircraft will jerk to the left and take me into the grass. I’ve posted this on another thread and a lot of folks say it is the natural torque of prop planes IRL but it is too extreme to be real in the sim. I’ve experimented with landings in clear conditions with absolutely no wind, my approach is spot on the line and soft and yet as soon as the wheels touch it jerks erratically. It is possible to keep it on the runway but there is no way avoiding serious zigging and zagging. I went to my local airport today (playground for the kids too, really cool), and watched some single props land. They were smooth and there was no indication they were fighting the torque to any extreme. I know there is some torque that pulls left IRL but I don’t feel like that is what’s happening in the sim, again it’s just too extreme.

No issues at all on the PC

I could honestly just be missing something of course. I just do it for fun and only fly a couple times a week for and hour or two. A real laid back hobby and I just hopped in and went like I would with FSX, which of course this is a lot more advanced. I just need to play around more with settings.

Small prop planes have a general pull to the left due to the propeller rotation. You ask any pilot they’ll say “More Right Rudder”. It’s just something that you just have to find the right balance.

Hi, I just did some more testing and yes it’s an issue. I always fly with 787. Taking of is never an issue but after landing I loose control over the rudder. I can tell it tries to direct my aircraft to a particular point at the airport but it will not stay on the runways and crashes into building. I experienced that when I was landing in Germany Bremen. Yesterday in Germany Leipzig though it directed my plane to the gate. I tried to turn off Auto Rudder but that did not do anything. Taxing after landing is impossible for me right now.

I’ve been finding this thread forever!
This is the exact behavior I’m having. It happends with 787 for me. The 30 knots locking of rudder, slight steer to the right, and loosing rudder control after landing thingy.
Of course I have set all my assist setting to off.
Currently, the only way of navigating to gate after landing is to (ironically) use full AI assist with assigned taxi instruction from ATC. THIS TOPIC IS NOT SOLVED!

I agree. But what about bigger planes like Diamond DA 62 with two engines?

Both engines rotate the same way so the effect is doubled.

I still have not found anything to resolve this issue. Anyone have any luck?
Mine stopped for a few flight but came back with no changes to setting or AI being done.