Bad artifacts / distortions in VR (Quest 2)

I am trying to set up Flight Sim VR with a Quest 2 for the first time and am strugging with heavy distortion of objects, both inside and outside the cockpit. See gif below or this link to a longer video. You can really see it in the propellor (which is stopped), the label on the scenery, and the scenery on the horizon. I only see the issue in the headset, when viewing the VR display on the monitor it looks normal.

I have tried switching between Oculus and Steam VR for OpenXR and same issue. I have followed as many of the tips on this post as possible, as well as watching YouTube videos with recommendations. Maybe my searching abilities are weak but I’m coming up blank.

I am not having any issues with other VR games in Oculus or Steam VR, smooth as silk. “Flying” the world in Google Earth is absolutely perfect by comparison.

My rig config: Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 580, Oculus Quest 2 (link cable)

Thanks for any pointers, I’m a long time flight simmer and really want to take it to the next level with VR!

I get this and it’s caused by ASW, the headset predicting what the next frame will look like and displaying it’s guess but then the real frame is displayed and it’s very different than the guess. Usually it’s because MSFS is giving you a frame rate well below the 90 FPS that Oculus wants. Try using the Oculus debug tool or Oculus Tray Tool to disable ASW and see what you get? I predict you’ll see a far reduced frame rate but you won’t get these artifacts.

3 Likes

Hitting CTRL+Numpad 2 will lock your fps to 45 and will turn ASW OFF and that will fix your issue.
For reference:
CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW and USE ATW
CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW
CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW
CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automatically

If you want to keep the ASW feature ON (like me as it really smooth all as it create 90fps from 45) I suggest to vote on this topic below to encourage MSFS Devs to implement ASW v2.0 instead of the current ASW 1.0. The new version remove all those artifacts.

Edit : Your frequencies will be different from mine as I have an Oculus Rift CV1, but the idea is the same.

4 Likes

I’ve stumbled upon an Oculus article about ASW2 yesterday, sometimes coincidences are amazing!

To keep it short: ASW2 is using NVidia Optical Flow SDK. This might be the case for SteamVR Motion Smoothing as well because I remember it used to be available for NVidia hardware only when first introduced (or was it WMR instead? I’m not sure)

An Introduction to the NVIDIA Optical Flow SDK | NVIDIA Technical Blog

ASW and Passthrough+ with NVIDIA Optical Flow

NVIDIA announced their optical flow SDK earlier this year, while it operates as a replacement to the previous motion estimation-only mode of the NVENC video encoder. Available on Turing hardware, NVIDIA optical flow quadruples the macroblock resolution, increases motion vector resolution, enables following objects through intensity changes, and emphasizes plausible optical flow over compression ratios. The result is half the average end point error than traditional video encoding motion vectors. The qualitative results are equally impressive. With ASW, near-field objects track more reliably. Swinging flashlights hallucinate motion much less frequently and the increased precision means movement is tracked more accurately to individual particles and objects.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the tips, as suggested the ASW settings appear to be my issue. Alternating between forced 45hz or off in the Oculus Tray Tool allowed me to resolve it. Next time I’ll try Ctrl+Numpad shortcuts, I assume those are Flight Simulator commands.

My last issue is that the head position seems to migrate a bit when I turn my head, like it’s not fixed to a point. I tried disabling head motion in the cfg file but that didn’t help. Anyway, this one I can live with at least.

Thanks again for the assistance, it really helped!

1 Like

I don’t know for the shift of the head rotation point, never heard about this issue… For the 4 hotkeys I provided, this is from the Oculus driver, not MSFS relative, so can be used for all other VR apps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.