VR: ASW 2.0 implementation

Hi there,

actually this is quite a big topic in the VR community. For all Oculus VR users, ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) offers awesome motion smoothing and the possibility to play MSFS on high settings and phisical 18 or 30 frames per second, which feel truly smooth.

Now, ASW 1.0 still suffers from artifacts and little visual glitches, especially when moving your head fast. Oculus claims these artifacts are significantly reduced if the application uses ASW 2.0 (introduced April 2019).

ASW 2.0 needs to be actively implemented into the application, however development efforts are claimed to be minimal.

What’s the status of ASW 2.0 for Flight Simulator? Has it maybe even been implemented already and if not, is this planned?

Many thanks,
Thomas

I might be wrong but the only additional data needed for ASW 2 is the application sending the depth buffer in addition to the colour buffer. I believe it is possible requesting OpenXR for supporting sending it and I also believe WMR Motion Smoothing is using the depth buffer natively. The limitation might not be FS2020 in this case but Oculus OpenXR driver implementation.

3 Likes

Due to the MSFS wobbling feeling with ASW ON I was searching with Google if Oculus manage ASW 2.0 through OpenXR to avoid saying some stupidity in MSFS forum, and one of the first link displayed landed here :wink: So I voted.

Saying that I still don’t know if Oculus OpenXR can manage ASW 2.0, this is unclear on what I found so far in my search…

13 Votes only, with so many Oculus users in MSFS with Oculus Rift CV1, Rift S and tons of Quest 2… When we know the huge benefit ASW 2.0 is versus ASW 1.0, it’s really disappointing. I guess people don’t really know this technology and what they can afford for all Oculus headset.

For now I play locked 45fps ASW OFF but if ASW 2.0 is implemented and don’t eat to much resources I will switch for sure to get a smoother experience.

4 Likes

Further on this topic, here is what the Oculus SDK is saying:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/developer-guide-to-asw-20/

In order to utilize PTW for a given VR app, the Oculus Rift PC runtime requires the app developer to do the following:

• Rasterize or copy your depth buffer into an ovrLayerEyeFovDepth layer’s DepthTexture swap chain.
  • Provide the projection matrix parameters in the layer’s ProjectionDesc data member.
  • Provide the HmdSpaceToWorldScaleInMeters parameter using the ovrViewScaleDesc struct when submitting layers.

And here is a 3 weeks old question in their forums about a bug with ASW and OpenXR on Occulus:

Solved: ASW is broken with OpenXR - Meta Community Forums - 858659

At least, this forum post tells us this should be possible submitting the depth buffer in OpenXR!

I use the XR_KHR_composition_layer_depth extension, and provide the depth buffer in the XrCompositionLayerDepthInfoKHR structure as the next parameter of the XrCompositionLayerProjectionView for the runtime as in the docs. I am using D3D11, my depth swap chain is in DXGI_FORMAT_D32_FLOAT format, and I use reversed depth.

4 Likes

That’s very good and interesting information, thanks CptLucky8! :slight_smile:

As said upper, so far I didn’t found another apps using ASW 2.0 with OpenXR so I was wondering if it was possible, and yes according what you found.
Good, I hope MSFS Devs will react to this as it doesn’t seems to be very complicate. The number of Quest 2 users and other Oculus headset are pretty high AFAIK and it will benefit a lot of users.
Now, I wanna see the number of upvote raising here and also in their DevBlog chart which use an old screenshot! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

With all the oculus owners on this forum, it surprises me that this is not being voted for in larger numbers.

If you have an oculus you should see value in this capability and and consider voting for its development.

ASW needs fixed and whatever is wrecking the performance of the complex glass panel aircraft needs fixed.

I reckon most Oculus owners have given up by now, as Steam and WMR motion smoothing seem to be working very well whilst the Oculus ASW implementation via OpenXR has been a mess for many months.

It would be great to have some genuine development information or actual updates regarding the ASW issue, are they aware of it, is it a third party issue etc.

Link to that vote?

I tried the game on a Quest 2 and any plane which has glass cockpits is a no-go if you want stable frame pacing and to not hurl on the flight. Had to refund the game unfortunately, here’s hoping the DX12 patch actually fixes something.

It’s at the top of this thread left hand side. Blue button says vote.

Did we get any update or even a comment from the devs since? It’s always in the VR snapshot with more than a hundred votes but it seems that they never talk about it. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Nope. To sum up the latest Q&A when VR was asked about: “We have a team of 6 working on VR, but we don’t know anything about what they are doing”…next question. They can care less about VR anymore IMO.

4 Likes