Beechcraft Baron G58 Still Accelerates to take off at idle

I have no mods in community

I never performed manual fix as my files are encrypted and it’s not even possible so I have suffered for 2 weeks.

At idle, my plane accelerates to take off speeds.

The hotfix was for flaps in general, and not a fix for the G58 specifically.

I would first of all confirm that while you have your physical throttle at idle, that the in-cockpit throttle is also at idle. It should show 0%.

There is already a hotfix discussion here:
Discussion: March 2nd Hotfix [1.13.17.0] - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I haven’t flown that in months. I can tell you that the TBM does not creep as badly as you suggest, and that perhaps you do not have the condition leve at low idle?

I’ll give the 58 a go tomorrow. Do you check your throttle idle position?

In the UK update a bug which was causing reduced static thrust on twin aircraft was fixed (this is why the DA62 had terrible acceleration before, and it is normal now)

Its likely Asobo didn’t re-tune the G58 to account for this fix, so now it accelerates too fast. It was normal before, so it’s too fast now.

Likely a real bug.

Yeah, just tested this myself and I was accelerating up to 35 kts at idle power before I hit the brakes. I’m sure it would have gone higher.

Reported this up to QA. Thanks for posting!

I do not know how much the Baron is affected, but in real life, many planes accelerate at the idle. I have read pilot accounts about even some single engine aircraft doing that and especially twins and turboprops as the engines produce thrust at idle as well. Said that, it should be assessed by someone who really knows the plane how far the sim G36 is from the real aircraft’s behavior.

2 Likes

I tested it out and at the airport I was at, it didn’t accelerate so much at idle but did carry whatever speed I had. A runway with even a slight downhill grade or a tail wind would likely result in acceleration.

That said, it’s possible this is not “wrong”. To determine that more in depth testing would be needed (I’d assume the developers have access to some data from Textron to test again)

1 Like

Looking at full-power takeoff distance. At Half Moon Bay airport (sea level), Clear Skies preset. 5500 lbs aircraft weight. OAT 14C

From the G58 POH, that should yield a takeoff roll to reach 85 KIAS of 1400 feet.

Going from the edge of the displaced threshold should be about here, a bit before the first taxiway turnoff on the right hand side:

In-sim location matches up very well:

I’d be careful about any adjustments to the G58’s engine settings since the takeoff roll at full power seems about right.

1 Like

Perhaps to a walking pace not to take off speed.

Many aircraft can easily accelerate to 30kts or more at idle, that’s a tad faster than walking pace :wink:
Btw, the F-15 doesn’t slow down at idle below ~90kts after touchdown.

What airport/runway/weather conditions are people seeing this at? I tried it last night and could not reproduce acceleration to takeoff speeds at idle on the G58.

Weather: default, clear sky preset. Weight and fuel: default (two 170 lb pilots in the front). Airport: KSAN. Runway: 27. Runway dimensions: 9400 x 200 ft. / 2865 x 61 m

Easily hit 35 knots without ever touching the throttles. Started from the beginning of the runway and hit 35-36 knots by the time I reached the end. Never reached take-off speed though.

Is this a bug? Only a real world pilot who knows/flew in real life this exact same aircraft the simulated version is based on can tell.

I can confirm this. It is not limited to the Baron, but affects any twin engine A/C in the sim.

It’s a known bug. Another known bug, to add to the many known bugs.

Ten days and counting since I’ve “flown” - I had to take a break.

2 Likes

No piston powered aircraft I’ve ever flown (or been a passenger in) has run up to 30 kts at idle power. Not one.

If you would have read/quoted my full reply, it would be obvious to you that I never claimed that this would be the case.

Tommy, do you have data what the idle thrust was before they fixes the thrust bug (DA62, Baron or whatever twin enginge aircraft)? Sadly I only saved data with full throttle…

This would maybe help clear up the issue here. Because I am suspecting that idle thrust increased because of the bugfix (possibly to the value it should have been all along) and now other parameters would have to be tweaked again to get proper ground movement behaviour.

So are you saying that even if the throttle in the cockpit at 0, verified by eye by mousing over the throttle, and seeing it report 0, you still find you are tearing off down the runway?

I’ve not tested the G58 yet, but may give it a go after work. Actually, I’m between help desk tickets right now, so I’ll give it a quick bash. Mouse, and keyboard only will do for this.

I’ll try it with clear weather, and 0 wind. I have seen the effect of reduced static friction in high winds, where my plan will be pushed along by it at idle, but turn side on to it, and this stops.

Okay, so I spawned at HLLS, custom weather, 0 wind. Engines running, both throttles at 0.

I haven’t moved an inch as yet. I did notice that I had the parking brake set in the image below, but did realise this after I took the snap, and released the brakes. Still no movement.

Am I testing this wrong? I had to give it a 40kt tail wind before it moved.