Been pretty quiet so far but it needs to be said

I say Amen! :sparkles:

Again: Stop with misinformation.

4 Likes

This wasn’t a major rework of the simulator engine.
This was a nerf of visual fidelity to achieve the golden 30fps minimum required for Xbox

I’m sure it works great in a 3rd person view on a big screen that’s 3m away from the viewer but it now looks like utter pants on a large monitor from within the cockpit with headtracking.

On the 26th I could visually identify a marginal dirt or grass strip in the Kenyan bush from a distance.
Now I’m almost on top of it before the scenery has enough fidelity to figure out if there is a landing strip there and where the obstructions are.

Sure, I’m getting 80fps up from about 45 now. But that’s not much help if I can’t keep a runway in sight off my left wing because it redraws the entire scene every time I move my head. (with all the associated sudden FPS drop, stutter, loss of visual fidelity etc) or indeed if that runway simply isn’t being drawn properly because it’s a mile away.
I’m seeing bushes pop out of existence and then back into existence as they pass the frame of my windshield FFS!

12 Likes

But mobile app is fine? X-Plane is on mobile phones and it’s their largest audience and revenue driver.

Lots of over the top comments here. The sim runs fine for me. Performance is good. Zero CTDs. I can understand people being angry that it’s not working for them but saying Asobo don’t test properly is nonsense. Lots of people don’t have any issues with the update. We are all busy flying instead of posting that there were no problems with the update. People will post if they have problems and this can give the impression the sim is faulty for everyone or most, which it isn’t.

3 Likes

Having been part of the SU5 Beta, I’m pretty sure a lot of the issues, including some of the CTDs are caused server side which is expected with a new platform launch. Just chill and give it a few days for things to settle down a bit.

1 Like

misinformation? tell me then what has been fixed from the last version? I just see new “features” cough cough xbox features, cough added and known issues, aka: broken things that makes it unusable for a sizable amount of users. If it works for you in this state, good for you my friend. Why would I want to misinform? Calm down. There are clearly users here who have had a horrible experience with this update, including myself, and this so called release notes are nothing but a commercial, whether you like it or not. Just because they call it release notes, doesn’t mean it is. Also if you are happy with it, go play! :smiley:

Why does it matter? They paid for the same sim you did. The “serious simmers” need to understand their market is so small that no company with more than 20 people working for them would build something just for that exclusive subset. The vast majority are casual simmers and their needs are just as important- even if they switchover to something else next month.

4 Likes

Well then have an Xbox version then that is tailored to them. But who cares, the idea is that it works for everyone however the method and at the moment it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I‘ve Never used x-plane on a mobile pone, as i will Not use fs2020 on my x-box.

Furthermore i‘m unsure if most of LR‘s revenue comes from mobile XP…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This is often stated and it’s just not really true.
Asobo aren’t writing code specific to Intel or AMD, Samsung, micron or hynix.
Nobody is.

Sure, there are performance differences between a pc built in 2016 and one that was put together last week but the architecture and technologies used have not changed much.

What MS wanted Asobo to do was squeeze a next gen title onto their console and have it not get ripped to shreds by users and reviewers alike for being a low FPS stutterfest.

It seems that everything else was secondary to that goal during the development and testing of SU5

For me all its highlighted is the fact that the Xbox X appears to have the capability of a gaming rig from about 6 years ago.

2 Likes

I second this, I’ve been free to complain. I haven’t seen any cases of silencing… Let’s not bring conspiracy into what is normal forum moderation.

2 Likes

Too far bro, WAY TO FAR.

2 Likes

Not all of xbox players are like that,im 52yrs old and love sims,and im sure theres alot more out there like me.

4 Likes

That´s something i can agree with. And i for my part was VERY suspicious when i saw the announcement.
MS has once abandoned this genre when they felt that there was no more money to be made.

Ten years after, when we had like two big and a few small but promising Simulators and literally dozens of addon-companies (ORBX, everyone?? ), some dude with a tie thought it would be a good idea to bring it to consoles because $$$. And I still think it was a good idea!
A lot of us “serious simmers” are disappointed now because they really believed that this was to be something for “us” when it was never supposed to be.

Concerning your statment about the market being too small, that´s true in absolute numbers. This genre is not a money printer like the regular gaming industry but it can sustain itself. Just take a look a Sites like Aerosoft´s.
Take a look at hardware manufacturers and i´m not even mentioning the big ones like Logitech and the likes of which. (Throttletek, FS PM make excellent hardware and throttle replicas, for example) Take a look at how many manufacturers of complete replica home cockpits there are.
I work a second job at a friend´s company who offers fun flights (for going on six years now) in a 737 sim that even has passenger seats. So the genre of simulated flight is more than a niche, even without fs2020…

1 Like

What makes you think this about making a quality simulator? There was a route to a wider market ($$$) and they are going for it.

The SU5 update is confirmation that for Asobo $ trumps quality of the sim. We should have all paid more attention to the cross platform compatibility promises made and kept well clear instead of hoping for a sensible separation between console and PC that means both parties can have their cake and eat it. This was possible as a prior person mentioned further up.

I’m sorry but with all the good will in the world there are things that consoles are good at and things that they are not good at. High fidelity simulators are one of those things that consoles are not good at.

Anyone in the console community that wanted to actually invest the time and money to fly flight sims will do so because they want to and buy the appropriate hardware. But for most all they want to do is ‘switch off’ as they play a fun easy to learn game for an hour or two. This is not the domain of a high fidelity flight simulator.

Instead what was (because this will change now) the core community for flight sims (ie enthusiasts that wanted to learn and fly at high levels of fidelity) are now going to be drowned out and ignored by the masses from the Call of Duty ‘instant gratification’ console club for which it is clear MSFS20 is being configured for - at the expense of everything that used to make it so good and the desires/requirements of that original player base.

Welcome to the world of compromise and arcade instant gratification gaming to please the masses rather than a targeted community. The needs of the many and all that.

*I would like to state that I am redacting what I have said above. I am not going to delete it (unless a mod wants to) but I WAS WRONG - there are some (small bugs) with the ingame cockpit UI which was what I was annoyed about ‘the Xboxification of MSFS20’, but much is fixable/workround able and I owe ASOBO an apology. I have looked at fixes and work arounds for all the issues I had and if you need help configuring the game to something more like SU4 cockpit UI please see the following thread/topic: Some 'work arounds' regarding UI issues and some pragmatic suggestions for Asobo for improvement *

4 Likes

That´s the point. From day one at the drawing board, the masses have been the targeted community.
Just my two cents…

Get used to it on here buddy. There are some ridiculously cringe posts about how we Xbox players apparently operate. It’s pathetic

4 Likes

Agree, i don’t blame any of this on xbox players. If anything they only helped because Asobo was forced to increase performance on both platforms.

3 Likes

Beta/Alpha testers only test and report issues, they have (almost) no control on what gets released and when.