Big Fps drop SU6 LOD200-400 CPU Hit

“drawing” is not the exact term even if you’re right, it’s more “computing” far more objects around the plane, so CPU heavy (compute) more than GPU (draw) as explained by @Grabber523

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Here’s a bit of geometry: if you double the radius of a circle, you quadruple the the area of the circle. A = πr².

So if the LOD slider corresponds to a detail radius, then going from 200 to 400 would quadruple the high detail area. I can imagine that this will result in a big performance drop.

I’m not sure the game works exactly that way, but I don’t think it’s far off.

4 Likes

People will never be satisfied. They always find something to complain about. When we were at SU4, everybody wanted better performance, more fps, and better smooth sim. SU5 gave us that even though there were some bugs that needed to be worked out but then they start to complain that it doesn’t look good as SU4.

Now we get SU6 which gives us the best balance of visuals and performance, but now people still complain about stuff like LOD 400 not being stable enough or whatever.

I’m sure by the time we get SU10 people will still be complaining about some LOD 600 not being enough.

For me, the sim is great!!!

I have smooth performance 40-60 fps on Ultra settings and 4k resolution. No issues whatsoever. Sure there are things to be added and improved. But that’s it.

People that have issues have ■■■■■■ internet services or just a system that can’t handle the expectations of high end visuals and performance. Then you have those that have messed up the sim so bad by tweaking files and messing around with 3rd party add ons.

I have a high end pc and have not one CTD. I keep my pc and sim clean and this is why I don’t have issues.

Man, really starting to believe people just love hating and criticizing for no reason.

14 Likes

what is your settings my friend ?

All ultra, except in those pics I had the terrain pre-caching set to high. Later I changed it to ultra as well and the fps became much more stable when panning around.

1 Like

Oh boy go back a bit further, people were whinging that SU4 was a ‘massive’ graphics downgrade! from SU3 and ‘utterly broken and unflyable’ but immediately after SU5 dropped it was the pinnacle of the sim! It keeps happening every update, the population of the forum are predictable if anything.

SU6 is by far the best looking and performing version of the sim we have IMO.

5 Likes

After SU6 my CPU usage is only 8-12% max with temps at 45C and GPU usage is 70% max with temps at 73C. What would be causing such low CPU usage? I have tried to increase LOD up to 400 and the CPU might go to 15-20%, but that’s it. Prior to SU6 it was running between 70-80%.

After WU6, on the ground, with Photogrammetry on it is an absolute stutter fest and will freeze non stop for 5-10 seconds. Once 200-300 feet above the ground it gets completely smooth again.

1 Like

Check CPU usage per core and not the average value, you have probably one or two core maxed at 100%, so CPU bottleneck and it can’t feed the GPU enough quickly. LOD increase CPU demand.

1 Like

Define a good pc please…

Are you aware that playing a game at 1080p res, the cpu will be your first bottleneck?

Not sure if this helps everyone, but I was getting a hit on fps

Specs

I9 10850k @ 5.1ghz all core oc
32gb 3600mhz corsair ram
Rx 6700 xt oc to 2700 core/2150 mem

I am running everything ultra @1440p and before the update I was getting decent fps, however after su6 my fps took a hit.

I done some reading, and through the developer mode I saw limited by coherent gr draw or along those lines which I’ve never seen before. So upon a little read I saw that if you disable the vfr map from the handlebar, it’ll ease the burden and boost fps. I’m now running sweet as nut again.

Hope that helps

1 Like

I agree with you, it became a circus on some things here…

1 Like

Very very true!!

1 Like

I have an i9 10900K and have set LOD to 200, CPU never really goes above 25%,
I’ll wait next month until DX12 and then see if I can increase the LOD more

BTW I have HT turned off via Process Lasso, this gives me better performance (smoothness)

1 Like

9700k rtx3070 32gb ram should be good for 1080p no?

1 Like

Yeah, for 30-45 fps with LOD at or below 200.

1 Like

i mean this totally depends on aircraft, but i was never as low as this with any aircraft and complex addon scenery beforehand

1 Like

Whats the native resolution of your monitor ?

A pc with those specs you mentioned should be able to do more than just 1080p!!

Here this post might help you optimize your settings and most of all understanding them a little better.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s a plan for LOD slider for the Xbox X? The update seems to have fixed many issues but the FPS has taken a massive hit. Would be nice to select the LOD according to frame rates.

1 Like