Black lines in the water

I realy don’t understand why a bug needs to be voted for more attentions by the developers, because it is simple a bug, one of hundreds, and still present for years now and should be solved without voting.

Instead of bringing useless new stuff, planes, Asobo should solve basic problems at first and looking forward for a stable sim.

We are betatesters for years now, and thats realy frustrating.

6 Likes

Even voting won’t guarantee they will fix it. Horizon line visible through mountains and objects bug is one of the highest voted issues and Asobo still not planning to fix it.

2 Likes

This is a first day bug and will never reach the priority list of asobo.

A few days ago 737ngdriver posted a video showcasing his new 4090 card. In the video he talks about how the new card has not fixed the issue with the black lines. This is a great example of the issue in video format by a well known streamer.

I have selected a starting time which showcases the problem and leads to a brief discussion.

EDIT: If it doesn’t jump to the correct time, you can see this starting at 14:13.

1 Like

As of today 10/25/2023 I can confirm these dreaded black horizontal lines on the ocean in southwest Florida and islands in the Pacific Ocean like midway/Hawaii etc.

It appears this has been happening soon after I gave up with MSFS due to poor VR performance back in 2021-22. I’m back now with a better pc and now I’m in love but the lines are not good Asobo. Not good. Please fix this.

Given this is such an immersion-killer, I believe they don’t know how to fix it. But I’m ever the pessimist, since we’ve been waiting over a year for the CN Tower issue to be addressed, which I suspect is a much simpler fix.

I have seen these since the Alpha. In my experience, they have never not been there. Depending on conditions they are more pronounced sometimes but I always see them.

Try flying down the Chesapeake Bay. The lines are everywhere that a tributary joins the main body of water. I mentioned this a couple years ago and went back to X-Plane 12 because of these issues and the poor avionics. Recently came back to give MSFS another try and I see they never fixed this problem. The avionics have gotten much better with the Working Title projects and aircraft like the Black Square TBM 850. I’m from the Chesapeake Bay area and would love to fly there, but I can’t with all those ridiculous lines in the water. Everyone always talks about the great MSFS graphics but not many seem to be bothered by these immersion killing lines in the water. I don’t get why there are not more votes on this issue. Maybe most don’t fly around water bodies with this problem.

1 Like

Switching to TAA seems to minimize the issue but not eliminate it. Adding some wave effect helps as well. I believe given how long this issue has been present the fix will be…MSFS24. This is with RTX 2070 and 566.33

System specs:

Win 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3803
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0 (BIOS F-10)
Core i7 3770K (no OC)
32GB G-Skill Trident X F31600C7-8GTX (CL 7-8-8-24)
Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
(x3) 1TB RAW Mushkin SSDs
LG Blue Ray DL
Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4 port SATA 3.0 card
Corsair RM750w PSU
Rosewill Chalenger Mid Tower
X56 HOTAS
Tt esports Commander Keyboard/Mouse Combo
Oculus Quest 2
Thrustmaster 2x MFD Cougar
T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KVD21)

That would be great if it’s fixed in FS24, but unfortunately, because of the low vote count, I haven’t even heard them acknowledge this bug yet.
So I’m not sure if the head developers even know that this problem exists. I have tried to get it brought up as a topic for the live developer streams, but thus far unable to get the votes needed.

1 Like

The “bug-logged” tag is the acknowledgement from the dev team.

Yes, I realize this, but on more than one occasion, when a logged bug is brought up by chat on the developer streams, Martial and Seb are unaware of the issue, or don’t truly understand the issue. On the last stream for example, Seb didn’t seem to understand the difference between turbulence in the clouds vs overall general turbulence.

Funny enough, I have noticed in the last BUG list as of Dec. 18 2023, other less relevant bugs made it to it but this current BUG is not there with 113 votes… We can see bugs with less than 20 votes but not the relevant one here…

Yeah… unfortunately that’s because the bug is older than six months I believe. They’ve found a loop hole to avoid us! :smiley: j/k

I could be wrong but wasn’t this what Jorg was talking about in the last developer update? I skimmed through watching and he mentioned something about them finally figuring out the issues with the blocked terrains/water and it having to do with the feeds they get from Bing maps.

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought this was addressed.

The team talked about water masking updates and tile popping/checkerboarding. I don’t think that these are related, but I could be mistaken.

1 Like

Ok interesting. I thought the checkerboarding is what’s causing the issue of black lines and it’s noticable in water because it’s not covered by anything.

If they are unable to fix it, it makes sense to remove it from the list… it would stay there forever :frowning:

I wouldn’t be surprised if MS fixes the bug in MSFS 2024 so as to motivate MSFS 2020 users to upgrade to the next version of MSFS.

I do think they are, as this (the hard black “edges”, not the smooth washed out ones) are an issue of ground mesh vertices not being smoothed, or not being smoothed correctly. This must be a core engine feature given how the FS uses continuous data streaming.

That turning off photogrammetry appears to fix this issue points towards an error on how different mesh sources are handled, as if these chunks of water vertices are erroneously tagged as “photogrammetry” and excluded from the smoothing. As in, turning off photogrammetry also turns off the check and exclusion.