Black screen when loading MSFS

Hi

I am having an issue when loading the sim and the screen goes black and does nothing. I have tried the troubleshoot options but that doesn’t seem to work.
Weird, because it was working fine this morning, but loading up this afternoon, the sim is now going to black screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don’t suppose you use the XP Force plug-in do you?
Any other external software that connects to MSFS via SimConnect?

No, nothing like that. I’ve also tried reinstalling but when the install has finished and I hit play, the same black screen happens.

Try deleting UserCfg.opt from the base install folder. I think even a reinstall will refresh that file from cloud so deleting and starting the sim might be worth a shot.

Is that the file in location C:\Users\YourUserId\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

Strange, I don’t seem to have that in there.

I’m on Steam version so path is different for me. Maybe it’s in Roaming. Have you tried searching for it in File Explorer?

Just a thought.

Try launching the sim with all your usb controllers (except mouse) disconnected and see if you still get a black screen.

Ahh, got it in Roaming. Unfortunately, it’s still going to black screen after deleting the file.

Arghh. So annoying. Umm, try deleting Contents.xml (not sure that’s even used since SU11 tbh) and look for a folder called SceneryIndex. Delete the contents of that (not the folder). Clutching at straws here tbh. Flakiest bit of software ever made. Love / Hate relationship!!

Assume you have seen and tried this? (Last post)

Also maybe try logging out of Xbox app / MS Store and back in to them again.

Also this might help. See the post marked as solution deleting BIN files and XML as well.

Somewhere I read it might be due to a change in sound (audio) drivers. Have you made any changes?

Any Windows updates pending? Or Xbox App updates?

Thanks for the advice. I’ve updated my drivers and Windows to see if that was culprit, but not it seems. I’ve also done the fast launch and deleting the files described in that thread but it’s still the same.

The issue is very similar to that thread, I can see the Sim using CPU, sometimes reaching 100% which it never did before this issue arose. I’ve also removed Process Lasso.

I’m thinking the only solution would be a complete clean reinstallation.

Don’t rush into that. I bet someone much cleverer than I will be along soon to save the day.

What a pain!

Definitely a pain. Tried a system restore and uninstalling and reinstalling but still the same. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix as I’m all out of ideas.

When I had this issue enable FastLaunch fixed it for me.

2 Likes

I’ve resolved the issue.

My CPU was being hammered even with Chrome so I checked and remembered that I fiddled with the number of boot processors. I applied that but didn’t restart straight away. I’ve re done that and restarted straight away and the sim loaded and CPU usage back to normal.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

1 Like

I have been fighting with this issue for a while too - I think I may have found something that may help some people (where all the above doesn’t work).

I use Steam - and was getting the black square in the middle of the launch screen then a full black screen. I tried logging into XBOX on Windows and got the error “You are not connected to the internet” (or similar).

In the end, the problem was that the DNS address was not being resolved. Changing DNS servers to another server resolved the issue.

This might be why some people just have problems ‘out of the blue’ when nothing has changed - it could be external, either with your ISP or VPN or DNS provider, etc.

This took so long to figure out that I signed up on this forum just to provide this as a potential solution hoping it may be the ‘missing info’ for those where the other options haven’t worked.

1 Like

OMG!, you sir are a saviour!

2 Likes

If anybody is still facing this problem, after 2 days of struggle my solution was to change the install directory of the game AND the files to be downloaded (in my case I installed it on an SD Card). It did not work when using the suggested …/roaming/ path. I am running MSFS from steam.

I can’t imagine what that does to load times!

Did you try just enabling FastLaunch?