Blinking clouds after patch 5

You were right TOGPixella, changed clouds and it went haywire - flashing and unflyable. Oh well, will swap cards tomorrow and try.

You may be right about Santa! With one kid in college and two others in hs Santaā€™s funds are low! I remember the days when you were forced to upgrade regularly as gaming advanced. This rig has served me well for a few years until FS2020. Good luck with yours. I will keep watching the thread and post my Radeon change tomorrow.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t buy it. All of our systems were running the game fine, maybe not at the highest of settings before this update. Anybody that has some intelligence can put those two together lol. Itā€™s simple, there was an update and now all of us with these certain graphics cards are having issues and flickering of clouds. Why not try to find a fix rather than just say our graphics cards (which on the website when the game was released were listed under suitable system requirements) are ā€œobsolete.ā€ An update for 1 game doesnā€™t make ALL of our GPUā€™s obsolete overnight. Maybe they should give us an option to keep the games settings as they are rather than pointing us in a direction to spend more money and saying our GPUā€™s are obsolete as he cause of this problem. None of this is OUR fault, just being honest here.

2 Likes

Sorry, it appears itā€™s a writeoff. I received reply from Support with a bunch of gobblety goop saying they arenā€™t going to fix it. Made me so mad, I made and posted a warning video on YouTube. I donā€™t dare post it here as it would be taken down in a split second (though everything in it is fact). My install worked just fine for 10 weeksā€¦ Until 1.10.7.0ā€¦ Not since and they arenā€™t going to fix it! (Sorry for soap box!)

2 Likes

We now have a definitive answer, there was an improvement to the cloud system that renders it incompatible with older cards.

If there was truly an updated system that couldnā€™t be rendered correctly on older cards, that would be acceptable, but Iā€™m very upset that they didnā€™t say anything in the patch or make a public announcement or refresh the minimum requirements, and instead they had us looking for the cause for several days when we really should have been notified in advance.

As for whether it really canā€™t be made to work on older cards, Iā€™m having some doubts as well. Not working with Kepler maybe, but when itā€™s working on Maxwell 2.0 and not Maxwell 1.0 it doesnā€™t make a lot of sense as the two architectures are not very different. Too bad we donā€™t have any reports from AMD users, but itā€™s understandable as they havenā€™t been competitive with NVIDIA for several years.

3 Likes

Please do what I did! Make a video explaining what has happened and what you think is unfair and post it on YouTube as a warning to others. That is exactly what I did. I would put link to it here, but a moderator would instantly remove it! After 10 weeks I can no longer enjoy what I paid for. And, my system exceeds their minimum requirements!

4 Likes

I donā€™t know how to make a proper video from scratch myself, but I would encourage you to post it anyway. Even if the moderators remove it (which I doubt since they havenā€™t done anything about the duplicate threads so far), we will at least have warned some people that might be next in line (like Maxwell 2.0 users). You could post it in other places too, like Reddit, Discord, AVSIM and so on.

2 Likes

Well, I was biting my tongue in earlier posts a bit but this is probably the MOST disappointed I have been in a gaming release. I am in my mid 50s and been gaming and simming since the dawn of PC games. I never had a release where updates made a game completely incompatible to published specs. This was working great for me prior to the latest patch. Even on an older rig and older Nvidia card I never had any crashes or many of the bugs others reported. Yeah, I could not run on Ultra but it was smooth and enjoyable. Now I have over $200 invested including addons and can no longer play. I did try a switch to the AMD card mentioned in previous posts but it was unplayable. I also saw the update broke things on the Ovation addon. I question its future with the constant breaks whenever Asobo ā€œfixesā€ something. I have supported them along the way and knew there would be growing pains but this is UNACCEPTABLE. They should refund us ā€œbeta testersā€ since they broke it for published specs.

4 Likes

I was simply enraged by the response from Support. So, I have documented it in a youtube video and sent a link to it back to support. I just want people to know that today your system might meet the requirements, but that doesnā€™t mean that 10 weeks from today, they wonā€™t tell you that, ā€œSorry, the requirements have changedā€. Iā€™ll put a link here, but suspect in 20 seconds itā€™ll be taken down. No first amendment.

9 Likes

Nice job Buzzard! I will watch it again outside the board and add a comment. I have a feeling we could swap some gaming and simming war stories :grinning:

The devs seem a bit ā€œrudderlessā€ as well. Everyone raved about the clouds and graphics - with SO many other things to fix they decide to work on clouds and break it for us? And all those folks complaining about ā€œPress Any Key to Continueā€ - a VERY minor detail. I had rather see them concentrate on things that do not work.

Great work on the video. I donā€™t like being harsh towards Asobo, but until they make their own public statement on the matter and update the system requirements, this video is absolutely essential to inform potential buyers that could come across a nasty surprise. Itā€™s sad that it had to come to this but theyā€™re not leaving us with much choice.

4 Likes

And they didnā€™t brake the clouds just for guys with these GPUā€™s, they broke them for everyone. Mine are not flickering but the quality is much worse than it was before this patch. They are awful now. I believe they have to fix them, this is absolute ā– ā– ā– ā– .

4 Likes

So what do you guys feel would be a ā€œsafeā€ and future proof graphics card? One that will not be rendered worthless by future ā€œimprovementsā€. There is no way I could get the latest and greatest but will start working toward getting something better, even if secondhand. 1080 ti maybe?

This is not a GPU card issue. It is a system bug introduced with the latest patch. Too many of us had perfectly working systems - and many of still do, albeit with a dumb work around or work arounds. Our cards can still run this sim. We just need devs to own up and fix this.

2 Likes

Interesting observation. I checked out a few videos of the new patch, mostly the Halloween challenge, and didnā€™t notice anything out of the ordinary, but then I havenā€™t been able to check the clouds myself, for obvious reasons. Do you have any screenshots with the issues you describe?

Unfortunately, the latest and the greatest. The GTX 1080 Ti is based on the Pascal architecture from 2016, and there is no guarantee it will not break with DirectX 12 or another engine upgrade. Pascal generally does well with DirectX 12, but its weak asynchronous compute can be a problem with some games. You really need a DirectX 12 Ultimate card if you want it to last you for years, which means Turing, RDNA 2 or newer.

AMD are becoming a lot more competitive now, so I think youā€™ll be able to get something that performs similar to the GTX 1080 Ti for about $300 with this generation. If you can hold on for a few more months.

3 Likes

Did three flights earlier today with no problems. After the update this afternoon any weather causes massive strobing in the sky. If thereā€™s precipitation the entire screen strobes. This strobing also ghosts once the camera moves, so then I end up with two window shaped patches of sky that flash and are always on top. If I start with completely clear skies it seems to be okay.

Things Iā€™ve done already: tried both the newest NVIDIA driver and the last version. No change. Tried to isolate to a specific setting. No dice. Occasionally the graphics ā€œreloadā€ when you change an in game setting will halt the flashing for a minute or two, but itā€™s just the reload, not a specific setting that seems to be doing it, and itā€™s random whether it will change it at all. Iā€™ve updated to Windows 10 build 2004 from 1909, same problem. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

A few people are reporting this, and it may be down to the type of GPU you have, or rather the chipset. My Pascal Nvidia 1080 does not have this issue, but I believe some users of older cards are getting it.

Yes! I am getting this strobing effect - exactly as you describe. What card are you using?

And I do have an old card - NVIDIA GTX770. Itā€™s not much but before todayā€™s update it ran the game just fine on low-medium settings (I have a beefier CPU i4790k but not overclocked). Iā€™m on Windows 2004.

Iā€™ll file a Zendesk bug as it does seem a specific issue. Iā€™m going to play around with Nvidia for a bit and will report back if I get anything to fix this.

PS - this happened to me before and after I updated to latest NVIDIA driver 457.09

2 Likes

Iā€™m also on an older card, GTX 960m. Iā€™m going to assume thatā€™s my issue till I hear otherwise, as older card is the common thread Iā€™m seeing from folks with this issue. My problem also existed before and after the NVIDIA update yesterday, but always after the FS update.

1 Like