Screenshot by Parorng (Forum)
We are now only two weeks away from the November 11th launch of the 40th Anniversary Edition. This free update comes with a wealth of new features and content, including official support for gliders. To learn more about how we brought these unpowered aircraft to Microsoft Flight Simulator in the most realistic way possible, be sure to watch our new Feature Discovery Series video linked below. This video contains interviews with several Asobo developers as they discuss the process of creating the looks, sounds, instruments, and flight model of gliders.
Public beta testing for Sim Update 11 remains ongoing. SU11 will be released simultaneously with the 40th Anniversary Edition on November 11th and contains many bug fixes and improvements to the core sim code, including changes to the weather system to add thermals to the sim, essential for glider flight! Thank you to everyone who is participating in the public test and reporting your feedback.
In Marketplace news, the Eurofighter Typhoon from CJSimulations is now available. While the Typhoon is CJSimulations’ first product in the Marketplace, it comes from a veteran developer who has previously worked on several other popular MSFS addons. We’re very excited to bring this modern fighter jet to the Marketplace for both PC and Xbox!
And lastly, earlier this week we announced that the date for our next Developer Q&A is November 18th, and our next SDK Q&A is on November 23rd! You can submit and vote on questions for our Developer Q&A here, and questions for our SDK Q&A here!
Click here for the web-friendly version.
Click here for the web-friendly version of the Feedback Snapshot.
Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.
There are 20 new and 32 updated products in the Marketplace today. Marketplace updates generally go live on Thursdays between the release of this blog post and 5pm PT.
Flighting SU_11: Breaking Changes:
- Sim Update 11 flighting has started. Thanks for your feedback, we are doing our best to address the most critical issues!
- We need your attention on two features that work differently now on SU_11.
- Localization process: New Localization Process
- Stricter control of the files present in a SimObject type AssetGroup: Documentation on this one will be made available today on DevSupport.
- We fixed the Asset selector that was closing immediately after opening.
- We fixed a crash that happened when using the same model for two vector placements.
Visual Effects Editor:
- With ImGUI update, the nodegraph would display all kinds of metrics. We have removed them.
- Naming validation now also checks the name length.
- We cleaned and improved the flow of renaming an item.
- We no longer reset all creation fields when going “Back” between popups when creating a new package.
- Merged the two commands when renaming/creating an item that would replace an existing one (remove previous + add new commands).
- Cleaning a package no longer cleans current package regardless of given package name.
- We fixed a crash on closing the Project Editor.
- We fixed the fact that asset groups were not writing Config tag, and we added the config edition in the asset group inspector.
- We added Helicopters parameters.
- We removed the unwanted sections from cfg on save (ie. we remove PISTON when changing engine type from piston to jet).
- Legacy fuel system is automatically displayed if there is a FUEL section and no FUEL_SYSTEM section => this prevents the user from losing data.
- We added “None” to icao_engine_type.
- On the NavData API, we added new fields to Ndb and Vor.
- We fixed a potential memory corruption issue due to storing a 64-bit value in a 32-bit slot of the linear memory.
As of 10/22, we have now approved 280 (+0) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 168 (+0) have released 1,525 products on PC (+17) and 1,234 on Xbox (+16).
In total, 2,414 products (+33) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 601 products (-3) from 3rd party developers are in production (310 announced, 291 unannounced). In total, over 3,015 3rd party products (+30) have either been released or are in development.
1,653 airports (+11) are either released or are in various stages of development.
- 1,430 airports (+19) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
- 929 airports (+10) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
- 115 airports (-1) beyond the released airports have been announced.
- 108 airports (-7) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
460 aircraft (+1) are either released or are in various stages of development.
- 174 aircraft (+1) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
- 121 aircraft (+0) have been released in the in-sim PC marketplace.
- 92 aircraft (+0) have been released in the in-sim Xbox marketplace.
- 176 aircraft (+0) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
- 110 aircraft (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
788 scenery packs (+14) are either released or are in various stages of development.
- 701 scenery packs (+10) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
- 239 scenery packs (+3) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
- 19 scenery packs (-2) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
- 68 scenery packs (+6) are not announced, but the dev let us know that scenery is in production.
- 788 scenery packs (+14) are either released or are in various stages of development.
114 mission packs (+4) are either released or are in various stages of development.
- 109 mission packs (+3) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
- 42 mission packs (+1) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
- 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.
- 5 mission packs (+1) are not announced, but the dev let us know that they are in production.
- 114 mission packs (+4) are either released or are in various stages of development.
For our Halloween flight this year, we will be flying over the Transylvania region of Romania, mythical home of the vampire Dracula in the classic novel by Bram Stoker. Our flight plan will see us visit two historic locations which were said to inspire Stoker when he was picturing Dracula’s castle: Bran Castle and Poenari Castle.
Event details here. All are welcome to participate!
Headlining this week’s Marketplace releases is the Eurofighter Typhoon from new developer CJSimulations. Over on YouTube, thecorporatepilotdad recently posted an overview video showcasing the aircraft and its many simulated functions. If you’re considering purchasing this fighter jet and want to see more about its model, avionics, and other features, watch the video below to learn all about it!
This past week our Screenshot Challenge was “Wide Open Fields”
Screenshot by berryfly2525 (Twitter)
Screenshot by Eejayplay (Forum)
Screenshot by Johnny_aircargo (Twitter)
Screenshot by KodianLipor (Forum)
Screenshot by MihamaBlend (Twitter)
Screenshot by Punkoflyer (Forum)
Screenshot by Salty9649 (Forum)
Screenshot by Stearman948713 (Forum)
Screenshot by ukaka5656 (Twitter)
Screenshot by YusufWardana (Forum)
NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – November 3rd, 2022
Microsoft Flight Simulator Team