Blurry Textures FS2020

I personally like it off looks much more natural but, those changes did make it sharper.

1 Like

Well atleast it improved it for you.

This is not “blur” for performance. Instead FS2020 is limiting the maximum LOD it is loading based on the distance to the tile and the relative tile size on the screen. Unfortunately it is also distributing the various LOD rings ranges too close to the aircraft.

It is therefore not blur and I’d suggest you review the following information (and vote):
LOD Problems - Distances revisited - Bugs & Issues / Scenery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

This table is showing at 600m from the texture, you’re already using a texture resolution which is 64 times smaller than below 75m
 imagine at 30000ft

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that. Can texture draw distance be improved?

Yes with the Terrain LOD slider only, or in voting massively to the aforementioned link, and hope this won’t pass under their radar.

You might want to read this as well:
LOD: settings and suggestions

I’ve been getting really blurry and bad textures with the scenery graphics since the latest world update, usually they aren’t as bad until I reach cruising altitude but this time they are getting blurry above 3000 ft and it seems like the scenery is causing FPS drop to 10-15 FPS (when it’s usually 35-40 FPS) every 30 seconds from it trying to load something

I wanted to make this post to highlight an ongoing issue with ground textures becoming very blurry as you ascend to higher altitudes.

Firstly, I wanted to make clear that this is not a bandwidth issue as seen in top bug #8 below

I realized that as you cross certain altitudes, the sim automatically renders a layer of blur on top of the ground textures. You can test it out for yourself in slew or drone camera by going up and down repeatedly and you’ll be able to watch the blur render in and out. In the examples below, at 20,000 feet AGL, the sim renders the ground textures clearly. However, after passing through 22,000 feet, you can immediately notice that the sim blurs out the ground textures. This is extremely distracting and noticeable especially in VR where everything is blown up in proportions. It’s hard to capture the extent of the issue in a downsized picture, but trust me inside the headset the views down below the plane while flying above 22,000 ft are horrendous. I really hope this can be addressed and fixed.

3 Likes

That’s exactly how it works with LOD setting. The higher you go, the more area that the sim needs to draw the textures. If you keep the same detail, your FPS will sink the higher up you go. By rendering the texture to a lower resolution the higher you go, the total asset that needs to be rendered remains generally the same, so your GPU won’t operate at a higher load.

Play around with your texture resolution, synthesis and Terrain LOD slider. The higher the setting, the higher the texture quality even if you climb to a higher altitude.

go to “terrain level of detail” in graphic settings and crank the slider up to 200. also be aware of a massive performance hit if you do that. This setting adjusts the visual quality of all the terrain. Turning this option up will increase details on the world’s terrain but will also significantly impact performance. This setting also seems to only affect the distance at which quality is preserved: at up close this option makes no difference to terrain quality, but from a distance this an be very noticeable.