[BUG LOGGED] Bring back volumetric lighting!

I see the option it is ticked but it doesn’t seem to be working.
Well turning it off removes clouds, are you certain this does what you think it does?

Same for me. I do also not have any volumetric effects in clouds. Despite everything is turned on. :frowning:

1 Like

No idea, it was just one of the interesting “features” I had to deal with after sim update 5.

Our best hope is that this marks a reset of the sim, now that Asobo has fulfilled their paymaster’s orders to get it working on Xbox by a certain date (which, to be fair, is a very powerful console, probably better than many PC’s owned by some upset users on this forum).

Hopefully Asobo can now concentrate on taking the graphics engine forward to satisfy both PC and Xbox platforms together to resolve our problems and give each their full potential.

3 Likes

Can you think of a logical reason accepting the fact that Microsoft makes all games cross platform, that they would have any motive or viable reason to degrade the PC experience over consoles?
It just doesn’t make any sense.
(Smart Delivery) buy once own it on both console and PC, how does them gimping PC make any sense.
Isnt it far more likely that this patch makes drastic changes to the render pipeline and it will take time to get everything working as expected?

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked in dev mode and verified volumetric settings were enabled. At this point I think I’m going to move this into the bug category so I can start to get some votes to bring it back.

I think it all comes down to the missing volumetric lighting. Not only the odd colors, but also shadows and reflections. I took this screenshots with the broken clouds preset, but it is quite clear, that there is no lighting whatsoever. There is also no shadows on the ground which may be caused by the missing effect.
Looks like someone put a Sepia Filter above the image.

4 Likes

All - I’ve completed another thread in the bugs forum and could use your vote to get this looked at! Volumetric lighting was a basic feature we’ve had since launch. No reason we should lose it now.

Posts were moved from General Discussion into this B&I report to consolidate responses.

@CasualClick Thank you for moving this!

1 Like

Volumetric lighting was one of my personal favorites. That feeling flying into a dense storm. I spawned in sim to check if this was true as soon as read this post, and it is. This is just sad :frowning:

15 Likes

Agreed my friend. I think what made me happy when I first saw it in MSFS was the thought of not having to invest in another “add-on” that would create the effect for me.

5 Likes

Agreed. Voted.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the setting for this feature is no longer present in UserCfg.opt:

{LightShafts
        Enabled 1
        Quality 3
    }

It used to be between {VolumetricLights and {SSR.

I can’t try right now but what about adding it manually in the file, and see if this work?

Another one missing between 1.17.3 and 1.18.14 is SSSSS (Screen Space Sub-Surface Scattering).

NB: These are more or less the same settings found in other Asobo games settings files, but some might not be used at all with FS2020 and they are just there because the same code is used abroad (Vignette, FilmGrain, Dirt are also remnants most likely doing nothing at all in the game).

5 Likes

I’ll try it now and let you know. Thanks for the tip Lucky!

Unless it is VolumetricLights.

Mine is right now:

{VolumetricLights
	Enabled 0
	Quality 3
}

But it was also disabled in my previous settings with 1.17.3

I’ll try that first to see if it makes any difference. “0” should be off though, correct?

yes 0 = off, 1 = on, quality 3 = ULTRA

(texture quality used to be reverse 0 to 3 = ULTRA to LOW, eventually try both 0 and 3 and compare!)

Tried this and changing the volumetric lights value and neither seemed to work unfortunately.

1 Like

I think this issue would better be described as missing light shafts, rather than volumetric lighting. Volumetric lighting does exist to some extent. What we need is light shafts from strobes, landing lights, etc. which is pretty much “missing”, not even reduced. (tested with Lucky’s solution, no difference)

1 Like

I may have the wrong terminology, but I know the p3d immersion packs previously described this as “volumtertic lighting”, but I’m good either way haha.

1 Like