[BUG LOGGED] Settings do not stick since SU5

I didn’t read the whole responses but if you have the UserCfg.opt as "read only: setting will NOT be saved. Make sure UserCfg.opt is not “read only”.

Do you mean if UserCfg.opt is “read only” then settings are not saved?

Oh that’s right. I missed “not” in there. Fixing it now.

1 Like

Screenshot after SU5 update Ultra settings. i9 10900k Asus RTX 3080ti

This screenshot shows what I mean by overexposed and washed out colors. Also the aircraft is much overexposed; the whole upperside of the TBM is white, without any detail.When I looked out of the cockpit beforehand, the impression was very close to reality in terms of the lighting, shadow display, colors and that is exactly how Microsoft advertised it. Even if I rate this screenshot with a lot of tolerance, I cannot continue to confirm this with a clear conscience as good. The difference is huge. Many before and after pictures and videos document this change on the Internet.

6 Likes

Looks amazing.

1 Like

This isn’t GeForce Experience screwing things up is it?

No, it is not, I never installed this bloatware anyway…

I think we’re getting totally off topic here.
People posting random screeshots, not having anything to do with the thread.

This thread is not about visual quality in general but about that effect when changing graphics settings ingame and the apparent LOD difference right after it.

9 Likes

Actually, when setting Texture Resolution to Ultra in the sim, it shows up as Quality 0 in UserCfg.opt. The other way around: changing this to 3 in the opt file, shows “Low” in the sim. This behaviour is different from the other quality-settings. I have the impression that the value in the opt file is leading, can anyone confirm this on their system?

I agree on that, London looks much worse than pre SU5.

1 Like

Well this certainly explains a lot. I was at a loss to understand just how bad the sim looked in Ultra after Update 5, but like others it turned out I wasn’t actually at ultra after all. Following the advice here, saving at Medium and then at Ultra had a dramatic effect and mostly everything again looks good. The only visual that, for me, is much worse after 5 is the clouds; they’re dreadful now.

Please provide some screenshots.
I’d really like to see the difference apart from the few static images circling around.
If the effect is so dramatic, it clearly should be possible to show it. For me apart from that one specific static situation I don’t see any difference when flying after this change whatsoever.

We need to check reproducible situations, not only for us but for the devs to recreate them and to know what to look for.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Please provide info what we are comparing here. Looks like one pic is with ORBX London, the other without. This pic tells nothing without additional info. Also, im not sure if it is even related to this topic.

The screenshot is from another thread about SU4 and SU5 differences. It doesn’t have anything to do with this thread, hence off topic.

2 Likes

As users have noted, that the posts from @KevyKevTPA , @dumpsterfire248 and @COWARGKAB do not seem to be related to this topic, they have been hidden.

5 Likes

Just tried it and whatever I do it just stays at a lower lod as shown in the picture. I’ll redownload some assets and see if that solves the problem. Weird bug though.

Edit, forgot to mention that it’s only the right side that has a problem.

useropt.cfg on write protected maybe? If not, i had to repeat the steps multiple times once to see the effect. Try switching the settings back and forth a few times… weird, but has happened to me…

I tried with write protect on/off. After changing Global Rendering Quality to Low and then Ultra it changed. It could be a bug that was introduced with the double VR settings that was fixed.

1 Like

@FickleSaucer506 I checked your statement concerning the UserCfg.opt:

Actually, when setting Texture Resolution to Ultra in the sim, it shows up as Quality 0 in UserCfg.opt. The other way around: changing this to 3 in the opt file, shows “Low” in the sim. This behaviour is different from the other quality-settings. I have the impression that the value in the opt file is leading, can anyone confirm this on their system?

I have my texture resolution set to ultra in the sim.

My custom profile is between High and Ultra:

Version 66
{Video
Adapter “AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT”
Monitor 0
Windowed 1
FullscreenBorderless 1
Resolution 2560 1440
FullScreenResolution 2560 1440
PrimaryScaling 1.000000
SecondaryScaling 1.000000
PrimaryScalingVR 0.800000
SecondaryScalingVR 1.000000
VSync 0
HDR10 0
Raytracing 0
PosX 1
PosY 0
}
{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom
{Texture
MaxAnisotropy 16
Quality 0
}
{SuperSampling
SuperSampling 2
}
{Terrain
LoDFactor 1.450000
}
{ObjectsLoD
LoDFactor 1.300000
}
{Shadows
MaxSliceCount 4
Size 1024
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS0 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS1 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS2 0.100000
DLightContributionCullingThresholdS3 0.100000
OmniContributionCullingThreshold 0.000000
}
{HeightFieldShadows
Enabled 1
Size 512
}
{SSRaytracedShadows
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{Water
FFTSize 512
}
{VolumetricClouds
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{VolumetricLights
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{SSR
Enabled 1
HalfRes 0
Quality 3
}
{WindShield
Quality 2
}
{SSAO
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{AA
Enabled 1
Type 2
}
{Bloom
Enabled 1
}
{DOF
Enabled 0
Quality 3
}
{MotionBlur
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{Buildings
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
{VegetationLarge
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{VegetationSmall
Enabled 1
Quality 2
}
{TextureSynthesis
Quality 3
}
{PostProcess
Enabled 1
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 1
Sharpen 1
Fringe 1
LensDistortion 1
Dirt 1
LensFlare 0
FilmGrain 1
Vignette 1
LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
FringeMultiplier 1.000000
}
{VectorDataTessellation
Enabled 1
Quality 3
}
}

I did not check changing the setting in the sim and I never edited the UserCfg.opt in any way, but I can confirm that I have the following setting, which you say corresponds to the texture resolution?:

{Texture
MaxAnisotropy 16
Quality 0
}

Yes, changing the texture resolution to Low in the sim, changes the value for Quality to 3 in the file.

1 Like