[BUG LOGGED] Settings do not stick since SU5

Can anyone confirm this globally fixes the other downgrades too such as reduced drawing distance of photogrammetry and texture resolution? Without bumping the LoD in the config file?

I don’t see any changes otherwise, this only fixes the building textures at EGNX.

I can see manhattan photogrammetry from JFK again if I max the detail sliders

But that’s not what this thread is about, is it?

Me neither. Still waiting for anyone to show any difference of this approach other than that one static scenario.

1 Like

If I have time I will try to provide screenshots this evening of the texture settings and see if they do something different compared to what the GUI settings display.
@Coppersens Could you also check, if you find the time?

1 Like

Here’s Manhattan from JFK at High preset

Here it is at Ultra preset. I didn’t touch the config file.

Again off topic, sorry.
Please read the opening post. It’s about having Ultra settings in both cases, but apparently in the specific situation switching to low and back to ultra shows a different LOD.

“High” settings have nothing to do with it.

I can’t today. But I think this texture quality thing is off topic as well…

1 Like

Can confirm both the bug and the fix.
Before:

After:

I have a feeling this bug has been around longer than we think. Just today, I switched off my custom global rendering quality which is very similar to ultra and switched it to ultra global render quality (preset). I saw a massive improvements in graphics!

What settings exactly was your “custom” setup at? Without knowing that it’s speculation that the ultra preset does anything better than you could do manually.

We’ve seen that some updates changed the graphics settings, so I wouldn’t be surprised if your custom setup was reduced by the update and you recovered it again by setting Ultra preset.

Do you see anywhere else an improvement when doing the approach that you used in EGNX?

Above is an image of my previous settings. Apologies for the small size of the images. I believe the sharpness of the runway and clouds was improved when switching to the ultra preset as well as the sharpness of the text on cockpit panels. “Believe” being the keyword here of course - purely speculation as I have no screenshots from EGNX previously.

Ultimately, the purpose of this post is to get this bug fixed ASAP. I don’t want to have to try and find a workaround - that’s not my job, but rather it’s Asobo’s. Just submit this to Zendesk and keep this post going so that it gains attention urgently!

1 Like

i can confirm too that in my opt file it was low but in menu all ultra. changed global preset from low(apply) then revert it to ultra(appply) and now textures looks reasonable at even 36000 ft. OMG:)

No difference at KJFK

Ultra after loading sim

Change to Low

Back to Ultra

The sharpen filter gets enabled with the presets which could explain the sharper looking terrain textures.

1 Like

I confirm that I have exactly the same issue.
→ At EGNX runway 27 no detail in buildings with my custom settings (almost ultra settings)
→ Switch to medium and saved
→ Switch to ultra and alter to custom settings and saved
→ Details in buildings are back.

Ps.
Never touched the UserCfg.opt file.
Read-only is not ticked.

1 Like

Only works once for me.
→ With next try the buildings stay without detail (even after relaunch msfs and trying it again)

This is not the only area of the sim not saving settings.
The aircraft customization page and the world map settings page do not save either.

Did you read the opening post?
The issue is not that the settings are visibly reverting in the menu (maybe the title is not precise enough), but instead it’s about settings showing ultra but allegedly not really being ultra with the workaround restoring it.

It’s a different matter from what you describe.
So I suggest you open a dedicated thread.
I can’t confirm that the sim doesn’t save the state of the graphics settings for me, so it’s not a general issue at least.

1 Like

London worse (did you have orbx London landmarks installed? it has compatibility problems and London looks terrible until you uninstall it.

There are certainly very odd things going on with the sim, especially with how it reads the usercfg file… I had a look I was very happy with, so basically tried to recreate it from scratch in case I lose it somehow. Made a backup of the usercfg, then unticked it from read only, went into the sim let all to low end preset then to ultra preset to in a sense build a fresh clean usercfg. Out of the sim, edited the usrcfg to the same as I had before, set to read only, back into the sim ----- absolutely awful!!! I think it’s mainly the post process sharpen that I don’t like, but for some reason when starting from the default usercfg ,changing it to 0 as it was in the cfg I was happy with did absolutely nothing. Why oh why is it reading it in one file but not the other?? Really odd. Thank goodness I made a backup, popped it back in and voila, exactly the look I was trying to recreate.

Odd.

Are you certain you did not accidently change the post processing parameters under VR by mistake ?

Yep, absolutely positive!