C208B Grand Caravan EX Mods General

Just tried out the update (2102.3) and it feels great. The flap drag seems good. And I agree with you about not spending too much time on this right now. We all know it’s going to change with Sim Update 3 so better to wait till then. But at least we have a perfectly flyable Caravan- thanks to you!

Thanks for the quick update. Great job!

7 Likes

I’ve just come across this mod, I have been using the default with the G1000 mod. Just one question, do i still need to copy across that one file if i’m using the 0.4.0 G1000 beta?

Not sure, but possibly. But that modded file is based on 0.34. To be honest, I tried 0.4, and while nice was not functional enough. I just couldn’t get the MFD to work properly at all, so I switched back to 0.34.

No, only copy that file across if you’re using 0.3.4

2 Likes

Hi,
I’ve just switched from v2102.1 to v2102.3 and I thought I’d let you know that with this mod the C208 performance is spirited!

I had been flying a Bush trip using the following parameters for cruise:

• RPM 1750
  • Torque 2000
  • N% 87

which yielded me a solid 155kts cruise speed, which was what I expected.
With the new mod, using the same parameters, I get 166/167kts! And the climb performance is outworldy.

I don’t know enough about the plane to say whether the new performance is more realistic or not, I just thought I’d let you know about this huge difference.

2 Likes

I agree with this, the performance has changed so much that I don’t even know which one is the more realistic lol. Also the torque seems to increase very fast as you climb. I have to keep reducing the throttle every few seconds. Again I don’t know if this is the more realistic behavior compared to past versions of the mod.

Turboprop logic is on the cards for a future update, Sim Update 4.

2 Likes

As what @hobanagerik said, the turboprop logic in MSFS has been flawed since Turboprops were first introduced to the FS series. Asobo has said they are going to address that in Sim Update 4.

So, it’s as realistic as all previous versions… not. So developers have had to make compromises to get it close. Hopefully it gets fixed in SU4

1 Like

Oh yeah I’m aware of that. What I mean is that the behavior is so different from previous versions of the mod that I’m surprised. For example in the older version the torque creep wasn’t as fast and wasn’t as noticeable. Also I noticed that at high altitudes like 17,000 feet at 75% power setting the aircraft is cruising at 195 to 197 knots indicated while previously it would cruise at 184 to 186 knots with an 85% power setting. Which such a big change in performance I can’t tell what’s what anymore lol.

1 Like

It is not possible " overspeed" :wink:
And don’t forget : Flight Dynamics Bug Details
With these manual adjustments, the C208 starts to get interesting to fly.

I find the sounds of the VOR & NDB beacons to be too low. Can be increased, the button dedicated to this effect is useless.

Well, the author did say the climb performance was off compared to the POH. I find the take off run is much closer now for the “EX” version of the plane.

Given that the Aircraft Engines Programmer position in Asobo’s career page is still open and the turboprop logic problem status is still marked as Not Started on feedback snapshot, I doubt we will see it being resolved in Sim Update 4.

1 Like

You could always try climbing through a cloud bank and watch your airspeed erode by 20 knots (another bug) which will get you closer to the book.

All kidding aside though, I also appreciate all the modders who are trying to duct tape the holes in the meantime.

3 Likes

Watch out … people will sY its icing again

I really hate that bug

1 Like

Just loose testing some climb performance.

Climbing from Sea Level, 0C. ~8807lbs start, center CoG, maintaining ~2397ft-lbs throughout climb at 1900RPM.

1300ft, 110kts, 1350fpm
2000ft, 110kts, 1300fpm
3000ft, 110kts, 1250fpm
5000ft, 115kts 1300fpm
6000ft, 115kts 1250fpm
8000ft, 115kts, 1250fpm
10000ft, 115kts, 1100fpm(-19C)
12000ft, 115kts, 1050fpm(-23C) weight now 8716lbs.

None of this is really out of whack with what dgtlanlg’s parameters are.

So yes, it’ll be a rocketship if you don’t load up the weight. Also AFM performance values are typically calculated with the center of gravity at maximum forward of the envelope, which reduces climb performance.

3 Likes

I will test that as well, I didn’t really check the weight. I will remove the posts saying it is not correct until further testing (and if I’m not back again, it was my fault ;-))

Can I just chip in and say I only came back to MSFS last week after uninstalling it in October last year. I really like the C208 and started a few flights in the default and was ready to uninstall again, UNTIL I found this mod, and all I can say is WOW. Reading the posts this week, So many of you have put a lot of time and research into this mod, so a big thank you from me. Done several successful flights on vatsim and really enjoying the caravan I don’t fly anything else at the moment. Just one thing, probably not the mod but I can capture the the ILS but can never capture the glide, tried at several airports, probably doing something wrong, not a biggy as I have been flying them manually against chart plates. But any ideas?

2 Likes

Oh and I love the performance btw I think she flys beautifully. I have only ever flown a twotter and C172, PA28 IRL so can’t comment if it’s realistic or not but it feels right to me.

When you say you can capture the ILS, but not the “glide” (Glideslope?), what do you mean? Are you in NAV mode or GPS mode? What do you mean by “capture” it? Do you mean the AP won’t follow the glideslope? Have you loaded an approach? Have you activated the approach? Is it an ILS approach or an RNAV approach?

As I understand it, many (most?) RNAV approaches don’t have a glideslope to capture. You’re meant to fly it like it’s a localizer approach, and it’s your responsibility (not the AP) to get to the correct altitude at the correct time. But I’d prefer to hear an expert’s opinion on this. I’m not IFR trained.

A lot more detail would be very helpful.