C208B Grand Caravan EX Mods General

Not to hijack this thread, but please go to and vote. Needs more exposure.

Decreased aircraft performance in cloud - Bugs & Issues / Weather - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Make sure you flipping on approach mode.

Yes i was the one makeing the first threat about it :joy:

Voted :+1:

@dgtlanlg I just Installed your mod.
Awesome work! Lotā€™s of things I tried to do are now working!
Thank you for combining the work and improve this project!

2 Likes

Hi Guys

I didnā€™t know if anyone would respond so didnā€™t put much context to the question so just to give you some background,

Flown in irl c172, pa28 and twotter all manually as only have 12 hours towards my ppl so never done an ils irl. 15 years flight sim experience on fsx, p3d and Xplane done plenty successful ils approachā€™s in sim.

Last night on vatsim did a short flight EGPD to EGPE. My route was dct Inverness vor and then vectored by the controller from there. So took a radial of 030 for 8nm and he took me on the base to join the end of the feather and I was there @2000 as per the charts. I had nav mode on loc1 and captured the ils for 23 just before the feather. App was enabled. The g1000 had ils23 in and the nav frequency was right. Was at 2000 expecting 6.1nm idx to capture the glide followed the ball on the pfd but then the aircraft just stayed at 2000. At 4nm I took Manual/visual and then just manually flew her in and enjoyed the landing. But I wanted to ideally disconnect at da 221ā€™.

I have done this plenty of times recently in Xplane and seen a couple tutorials on YouTube for msfs2020. I canā€™t work it out for the life on me.

https://prnt.sc/106lbwq

https://prnt.sc/106lbwq

On other news I have almost completed a skybus livery for the c208. I know there fly the twotter and bn2 irl. But loving this c208 and flying around the Scilly isles and south west England.

3 Likes

Have you set CDI to NAV (the one where ILS is set) and pressed APR Button on the G1000?
Then it should automatically capture the ILS glide slope

1 Like

Ah I think I know what I have been doing wrong, I pressed app on the aircraft mcp not the g1000 but then again it still captured the ils loc lol. I will try app on the g1000 and will report back. I had the cdi to nav so I donā€™t think itā€™s that thanks for your help Iā€™ll let you know

If it doesnā€™t work, then take a screenshot oft the PFD so maybe we can see whatā€™s wrong

Will do, going to do a few approaches tonight will let you know. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Testing out the glide performance during a community event today, the new drag modelling seems to get the aircraftā€™s glide ratio with an unfeathered prop pretty accurate, about 7:1. Where the old one achieved around 14:1, which is what it would be with a feathered prop. Hopefully when Asobo figures out prop drag we can have the best of both worlds!

Also I find the engine can overpower the parking brake quite easily at full power now, which makes setting up short field takeoffs a little trickier to manage.

Hi @MagrainaOne, good to see you again. Glad youā€™re enjoying the mod.

Yeah, Iā€™m not super happy with climb performance. I believe the issue is that parasitic drag should be higher than it currently is, but doing so would affect cruise where most of the flight time is spent, and climb performance can be compensated for by the user whereas cruise performance is what it is.

While itā€™s possible to get quite accurate results individually (climb, cruise, takeoff etc.), putting all those moving parts together requires some compromises. I spent a week or two experimenting with different configurations, and found the current model to be the most balanced, taking into account all possible weight and flight conditions.

Having said that, itā€™s not definitive, since thereā€™s no way to truly replicate real world behaviour 1:1, thereā€™s more than one way to translate the POH to the world of MSFS. So I invite anyone who wants to experiment themselves to do so, even just to verify my work, the POH is freely available and it would benefit all of us to have more than one perspective.

To be honest, Iā€™m pretty burnt out from dealing with it.

7 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately performance is impossible to perfect until the simā€™s various systems are working in a realistic manner, and itā€™s absolutely ok to leave it as is until we see some internal sim improvements. MixMugā€™s TBM has added some interactables(doors, visors, etc) recently which is great to see in a community mod. Though I imagine itā€™s a whole different ballgame to start working on that sort of thing for the 208.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing all the updates that you have done. I, for one, really appreciate your efforts and the results it produces despite the limitations of the sim itself.

8 Likes

I would wait for Simupdate 3 before retouching planes IMO. next week with the hotfix, planes will need tuning again, and soon after with SU3 who knows what will change this timeā€¦

Iā€™ve created a pull request on Github where Iā€™ve done some changes to the engine pages and to the STBY PWR ON annunciation.
You can have a look on them an merge them if you fine with them.

Hopefully until some ingame improvements the performance maybe more realistc.

I think the ITT temperature is a lot lower then it should be. IMHO

Yes I know :wink:

2 Likes

@dgtlanlg

He man will you revert back the flap / drag changes now the Asobo fix is out ?

Untill the change all planes with a submarine model :joy::joy:

Hey guys, Iā€™ve been super busy the past week and havenā€™t had any free time to work on the mod. Give me a day or two.

8 Likes

Donā€™t rush :slight_smile:
In the meantime, everyone can simply use the older version prior the workaround:

3 Likes

Yeah man, if I had to guess I would say the TBM was the first of the props they started working on; the working doors is possible because the models and animations were all in place. I suspect Asobo were initially intending to have all of the stock planes with these extra features and they were was just cut due to time or budget.

I havenā€™t checked out the TBM mod though, so if theyā€™ve worked some other sort of magic to get it working then that changes everything. Iā€™d love to have full access to the C208B model, not just for the doors.

3 Likes

Maybe you could work together, to get the caravan on the same level as the TBM.

You did already such a great work and a collaboration with other experts with different knowledge would improve it even further.

At the end we all would benefit.:grin:

2 Likes