Can we talk about photogrammetry quality?

Ouch. I misread that. Yeah. That’s not great. IMHO, the 1060 should be the bare minimum requirement for MSFS vs the 700 series they recommend as the lowest. A 1060 paired with i5 3470 is a definite recipe for performance issues.

1 Like

Is it just me or the photogrammetry LOD really become better with the latest patch? Up until now most of the time high detail objects only loaded very near to the plane and appearing of dark blobs and cone shapes were common - the well known post-nuclear landscape of low-detail PG. :slight_smile:

I’ve just finished two test flights. On in Naples, Italy and one around Philadelphia, USA. No blobs, no cones, and the buildings were quite good. Some were a little blocky, but no post-apocalyptic wasteland. The changes between detail levels were more smooth. FPS sometimes dropped to 38ish near the main airport of Philly from 52-55 but the sim run smooth, there wasn’t a single stutter.

The loading times from World Map to the cockpit were much longer though. For me it seems the sim loads more scenery and texture before launch, so less loading is needed during the actual flight. I’m OK with that because the visuals are better and stutters are gone.

I did the test flights with GA (C172 and a Robin), and didn’t choose some really system-killer area like NYC or LA, so maybe an A320 flight in NYC would bring my system to its knees even with this new update. But for my preferences (GA and no major airports) the improvement is cleary visible.

I’m happy to see the sim is making good progress, and I hope I won’t see blobs and cones wasteland anytime soon. :slight_smile:

again patch arruined the quiality objects , textures… etc… this is a joke?

Scaling 160 1080p
the more patches, the worse the game looks

2 Likes

Flying over Chicago. Fresh windows install: Fast internet, settings restored to default then tweaked tested high, low, ultra, bing data on, cache on/off and unlimited bandwith on. Still stays the same. Also having a freezing issue that lasts for about 4 - 7 seconds.

This shot was taken after flying around the area for at least 5 mins

1 Like

yes, pathetic…

Same area Chicago with Manual Cache ( High Quality ) from the same distance.

Flying away from Chicago City

After some testing when flying over the location instead of some distance, the area Manual Cache loads in ok.

So the issue seems to be loading in the imagary from a distance. Flying over New York now and one part loading in other part still very blurry. ( Manual Cache deleted and running rolling cache )

Thanks for the hint. Before this patch I couldn’t see any difference making manual cache of an area or not. Based on your screenshots now it seems to be working as it should.

One thing i noticed is when flying away from the loaded in area, the meltted apparence pops back in again at a distance, the photogrammetry is loading in and then pops out again when you’re flying away. I made a game save of the area i was flying over, then deleted the manual cache then loaded up the Chicago save and the Photogrammetry was loaded in so it seems to be a distance issue.

Seems caching the area was the same result as not caching from a distance. id like to see others test this over Chicago. Photogrammetry still seems melted from a distance with or without manual or rolling cache enabled.

Heres an example below after the photogrammetry was loaded in when flying directly over the area, then when flying away, the melted building once again appears - same result at a distance with or without manual cache and roilling cache.

I don’t understand when people say this. I guess it’s usually people new to flight sim. Flight sims have always out stripped the available hardware, and rarely been able to be run at full detail, by design. Just because some people don’t have a computer powerful enough to run everything on Ultra, and then some, doesn’t mean other people don’t. Give the option for those of us fortunate enough to have the disposable income to run high end rigs.

I’ve did a test in Chicago. I’ve made a manual cache of the city and the surrounding area, the result was an 8GB download.
At the pre-take-off cutscene the buildings were those melted lego bricks, but after that it become much better. I’ve set the scenery detail slider to 160. I flew the Pipistrel Virus on about 2500ft. The visuals were very good, and also the frame rate, around 42-48fps. Near O’Hare airport it dropped to about 28-32 but the game was still butter smooth, not a single stutter. After that I’ve headed to north, and as I left the pre-cached area some low-poly PG buildings appeared but still not those black melted blocks seen on your last screenshot.
My system is not high-end: it’s a Ryzen 3600 / GTX2060 Super / 32GB. I play on 1080p.
For me this patch is clearly an improvement: before this every major US city was a land of black cones and melted lego bricks, now it looks fairly decent and the FPS is still acceptable.

1 Like

@ATokar77 Apprecaite you testing.

Would you be able to post an image of flying away from the city? Curiuos how it looks from a distance.

I have no idea why i’m getting the photogrammetry degrading like in my above pictures when i fly away from the area. Anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

…mmmmhh

there is no solution, wait for the developers to do a good simulator without degradation in each patch

I’ve made a couple of screens, here we go:

Approaching the city centre:

Near the skyscrapers:

Leaving the area:

Further away:

What was weird for me this time that my fps was lower than usually but my CPU and GPU usage was quite low.

1 Like

Give it a rest will you, nothing but negative comments from you every single post, for a sim you said you’d deleted and quite clearly despise you seem to spend a lot of time with it

1 Like

Thanks again for posting @ATokar77, wish i could get my Photogrammetry to stay loaded in like this, no idea why its not… i just cant work out why.

Just to clarify, are these screens from the 8gig manual Cache? i’m assuming you have photogrammetry & bing turned on in settings? im just trying to nail down any possible conflictions that could be causing my issues. If these screens are from the manual cache you set up, be interesting to see if you get the same results with rollin cache and manual deleted.

You’re welcome!

Yes, the area was cached manually and both PG and Bing has been on. Scenery detail was at 160, objects at 120. (I’m not sure though that these do anything to PG building detail.)

1 Like

Interesting:

When you get some time can you do a test with manual cache disabled and see if you get the same results. doesnt have to be screens just your feedback on the results. Apprecaite the feedback.

I’ve done a quick test as I’ve been curious myself too. I’ve deleted the 8GB Chicago cache and took off from the same airport as previously. Surprisingly there was not too much difference between using manual cache or not. Maybe the texture detail on the skyscraper district was a little bit higher with pre-cache but I’m not sure.

Approaching the city centre:

Near the scrapers:

Heading out:

Farther away:

Cheers for doing this @ATokar77

1 Like

you are sure?
graphics ultra bing on and photogrametry on.
What you see is definitely a problem… you wouldn’t be able to replicate it if you lowered all the values to low! some problem is sure… now it’s the servers or something else I don’t know but the problem is there and many detect it more than others.