Cannot download mandatory update

I bought it from the MS store for PC. I got it a few weeks after it came out. It was only in the last week that I got the premium deluxe upgrade. The MS store shows that I own the base game but not the premium deluxe upgrade.

I bought the premium deluxe upgrade in the Marketplace in the game. I mentioned it because I thought it might have something to do with the fact that when the MS store opens to supposedly install the World Update it doesnā€™t.

Hi @n271828,
Please install the Xbox app for Xbox games. Here is a link to the FAQ:

Microsoft Store - Download and Installation issues, Part II - Basic Troubleshooting ā€“ Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

same here :frowning:

I had the same problem. But I did have the XBOX-app for several months.
So what tot do? I tried to reinstall the Xbox app. The system answered that I was having the app already. Which was right! However when tried to to start FS2020 for a last attempt, I received the new updates, and the simulator is running again.
Wow, not so user-friendlyā€¦
Btw. the updates are form the beginning a bit puzzling. This might be done a bit betterā€¦

Unable to get the update. I have the Xbox app, and it is up to date, kept running me in circles. Also, I am unable to find and reinstall the PC-only version of the app that used to exist. Uninstalling the game leaves everything where it was.

This updating routine is the single worst thing I have ever seen in a program. Ever. It creates a MASSIVE amount of frustration and aggravation for the user. This should change.

Same problem here. Have never had any trouble with updates so far, but this one is a no-go. Tried all? the suggestions on troubleshooting page, without luck.
Only difference now from previous updates, is that Iā€™ve installed a plane from the marketplace.
Edit: Finally got updated. Had the XBox app open, and then the 500+MB update materialized in MS Store. Go figure.

1 Like

Ouch, my eyes stopped on the WSReset thing, noticed only now the part about the xbox app (that I misunderstood as one of the apps already installed (game bar, live))

Could have solved this like 8 hours ago :frowning:

I have tried to update for several hours this evening/ The store (In Israel) has no update and I have been shuffled about a dozen times between the store and the game launcher. Obviously something sucks BIG TIME. By the way, where has the topic been solved?

Thank youā€¦a nice Microsoft employee helped me along with the process on the phone with a shared screen.

1 Like

I was finally able to install the update. I got the Xbox app and then went to the downloads and updates page in the store. Once there, I had to click on the ā€œGet updatesā€ button on the top right for the update to start downloading.

New member hereā€¦I can not for the life of me get MSFS2020 to carry out itā€™s ā€˜mandatoryā€™ update! It sends me to store but then what?

I feel your pain, I am in the exact same positionā€¦come on Microsoft!

Install the Xbox app. You may need to exit and go back into the MS Store, but the update should then become available in the store - plenty of threads about this already.

1 Like

The update loops.
There have been many past updates.
Iā€™ve never seen such a low quality, time-consuming application!
Itā€™s not a bunch of bugs because you canā€™t play.
Existence that just pays and feels stress.

1 Like

tried multiple times. Wonā€™t work for me.

iā€™ve spend just about 48 hours and have tried virtually everything available online but iā€™m still back to the square one. The only option seems to be a windows format so that i can do a clean install.

I may be moving back to x-plane if this isnā€™t fixed soon.

Still working on this. Iā€™ve tried running in Administrator Mode, as well as running with my virus protection turned off, and my Windows Firewall and Windows Defender settings off. Nothing seems to help. It appears that MSFS is simply crashes to desktop when I attempt the mandatory update from within the app.

This might be a red herring, but I see instances of the following error when I look at the Event Viewer after attempting an update:

Metadata staging failed, result=0x80004005 for container ā€˜{DC053885-AF35-5B47-98E0-F6B3DA9BCE21}ā€™

The documentation for this error seems to describe a general category of error where a process doesnā€™t have access to device for some reason, which is why I tried turning off the anti-virus, etc. (that can cause problems like this in my experience). But sadly it didnā€™t seem to help.

Here is what worked for meā€¦
I cannot add the direct link, but if you go to the microsoft.zendesk and do a search for
" Microsoft Store - Download & Installation issues, Part I - Checklist" it will give you a link on the process.

Here is the text off the page that the link will take you to:

Please go through the following checklist if you cannot install or update Microsoft Flight Simulator.

STEP 1 ā€” INSTALL PENDING UPDATES

• Click on Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left-hand side corner of your screen)

• Select Settings

• Go to Update & Security

• Stay on Windows Update

• Click the Check for Updates button.

• Wait until the verification is done

STEP 2 ā€” INSTALL STORE UPDATES AND SIGN OUT

• Open the Microsoft Store app on your computer.

• In the Windows Search Bar, type "Store."

• Click on Microsoft Store and select ā€œOpenā€ in the menu

• In the top right-hand side corner of the Microsoft Store, click on the three-dot menu

• Go to Downloads and updates.

• Click Get updates then Update all and wait for the updates to install.

Note: You can turn on automatic updates in the Microsoft Store

To do so:

• Click on the three dots menu, then select Settings.

• Under App updates, set Update apps automatically to On.