Certain Objects Appear through Haze and Low Visibility

When flying or taxiing through low visibility, some objects can be definitively visible, despite surrounding objects being shrouded:

I also noticed Nav Lights from other aircraft permeate through dense fog as well, so you could be flying over an airport with a cloud layer in between you and the airport, and you’d see a MESS of Nav and Beacon lights.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no

Brief description of the issue:
On the new LSZH airport (probably on others) i get this shading problem that makes the terminal visible through fog, when i zoom at the terminal in fog conditions. Happens around 50% zoom angle. I was using the TBM, not sure if it matters. No mods.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
unknown.png (2560×1440) (discordapp.com)

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
start at LSZH in fog conditions (im not sure it happens always, i had live weather active and there was fog present.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

RTX 2080

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
With this last update on 18. Nov. Dont have build nr ready.

PC, Steam Version, SU 7 on 19th November

Did a test flight from Frankfurt to Zurich with live weather on

Zurich was reported heavy fog with low visibility, the sudden METAR blend was very harsh, a ground of fog suddenly popped over the Zurich area during descent for approach.

The fog was according to the METAR i received, couldnt see the runway below minimals, vertical visibitly was somewhat around 100m and vis on runway was below 200.

The Aiportbuildings shine through the fog like enlightend from inside the cockpit.

In outsideview they are behind fog.

Getting close to the buildings you can see them cut in half from the fog.

I dont know if its a problem with the LOD of the Zurich Airport or a general thing from the fog that is drawn.

RTX 3070, i5 9600k, drivers up to date.

GAYAs LSZH definitely has issues… strange LODs and generally many pop-ins and bad performance… But thats not really new for them and updates to the products are rather rare unfortunately… Their LOWW scenery also would need an update since a while but they stay silent and support request usually do nothing…

Yes - I’ve seen the same issue re: terminal buildings ‘popping’ or ‘showing through’ fog. And overall performance re: FPS, stuttering etc. at LSZH is not great when compared to add-on airports of similar size / quality from other devs (e.g., Flytampa, Orbx etc.).

Overall - I really like most of Gaya’s airports for MSFS… but LSZH clearly needs some more attention… Hopefully an update soon

Noticed this kind of issue on several flights lately: when landing in foggy conditions, the airport windows “shine” through the fog (see attached picture, at LSZH). It’s not an airport-specific issue either, seen it at other airports as well. Any idea what this is/how to fix it?

Specs: R7 5800X
RX 6800
32 GB RAM @ 3200

same issue here

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
In foggy or cloudy conditions semi transparent shaders (glass/windshield) are drawn upon the particles used to display clouds or fog.

It seems to be an rendering order/priority issue which can be seen especially on double sided meshes since initial release.

This effect is visible on all aircraft (especially traffic) and also on the aircraft engines if there is a prop or fan spinning (which also uses semi transparent materials)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

• enable traffic (offline or online)
  • load up a flight using the A32N with a layer of fog and overcast at an airport featuring glass elements (like OMDB from premium deluxe)
  • after loading the flight watch terminal objects from the distance
  • watch traffic from the distance
  • fly the A32N inside the cloud layer

You will notice dark spots wherever elements are which use transparent shaders (engine fans, propellers, windows…)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
Intel i9 9900k, Nvidia RTX 2080ti (DX11 Mode), 64GB RAM DDR4 4000

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Initial release version

still the same issue with SU11

and don’t bother asking if the “model matching” is fixed

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Still present in SU12.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hi all,

Some scenery items (this one is a handcrafted building in the Frankfurt, Germany area) have buildings that don’t fade through the mist/clouds. It also happens with airport buildings sometimes. Is there any fix?

Thanks,
Christian

2 Likes

Reporting still an issue in SU12. Especially with mkstudios Dublin V2 or Cork examples, normally are the glass materials which causing this issue, and it used to be an issue also in FSX/Prepar3D

4 Likes

Was asked to repost my discord info here:
It happens any time you have glass with dark color (not 0.02 opacity and white). Or possibly any material with alpha other than that.

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/4794/glass-vs-humidity.html
Reproduced by FlyingRaccoon on devsupport in 2021, but no further updates.

Default WU or default “addon” airport examples:

Post 2, Custom example:
Not sure if it’s technically a bug or just how the transparency in the sim is designed. A change would be nice though. I made a custom testproject and package for you: Project folder includes blender file. wombiiactual-airport-enzw-glasscloudstest is a compiled package for community folder. Spawn at ENZW. Objects circled in blue (A) are “standard” materials as controls. Object B is standard SDK spec “glass” setting (0.02 alpha and white). The rest is “glass” with various levels and types of tint. Through clouds or rain the control boxes will fade normally while glass boxes remain unnaturally visible.

Example download:
wombiiactual-airport-enzw-glasscloudstest.zip

7 Likes

Yes

To reproduce the issue I used a preset from Floyds Epcic Clouds "fec Fog - X’8 10c’ and I increased the 1st cloud layer density to 5. Then we can notice that the transparent structure of the jetways looks like if they are not impacted by the fog. That screenshot is taken at LFPG. Clouds ultra settings

1 Like

I also have the same bug when using Cloud Gaming.

When testing at KDFW the glass bug only happened with bright fog, not dark fog. i.e. I started off with the same settings as the quoted screenshot, with the black glass appearing as shown above, however when I increased the cloud density or cloud tops altitude the glass disappeared into the fog.

This suggests that the glass bug is dependant upon current lighting conditions (e.g. date, time, cloud depth, cloud density).

1 Like

I guess I’ll also add my findings in here since everyone else has :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes

This seems to only happen on objects that are very dark or a solid color-meaning that the transparent objects aren’t really affected by it. What I also found interesting is that it only happens during certain times, which is also quite weird. What dates and times that this bug shows I have not found yet.

N/A

Ditto. Same issue here, SU13.

1 Like

Hi, is it possible that, after 13 updates, there is still the issue of the buildings glass textures that are not covered by mist/fog? Please, developers!

Does anyone know if developers said anything about this issue?

This topic is tagged bug-logged which means that they’ve been able to reproduce it on their test systems. Beyond that, I don’t know sorry