CH Yoke and CH Rudder Pedals

I also have a CH products yoke (as well as CH pedals) and the MSF2020 installation recognized it being present, there were no pre-sets for it.

So, from the main screen in MFS click on Options at the top, then click on Controls.

What you will see are all of your peripherals listed, near the top but under the word >Controls. If you don’t see your yoke listed you may have to scroll right or left in the peripherals list. Once you click on the yoke then you are ready to start mapping your buttons to actions. For starters, under filter on the left, make sure that All is showing. This will list all the actions that can be mapped, not just a sub-set.

So it comes down to manually configuring your yoke in the options pages. You have to have the CH yoke selected at the top (as opposed to keyboard or mouse) and you have to map each button to the way you want it. It took me about an hour to so this :frowning: The tricky part is that it took some tweaking to get it right. When selecting what ‘button’ you want for throttle or mixture you have to find the item in the list that says “axis”. The axis settings are the slider type of controls which give a range of motion instead of just buttons which act as do once actions, such as flaps down one notch. So to map your throttle you can navigate through the main list or you can ‘search’ in the left window. Enter throttle and you will see only the setting pertaining to the throttle. Throttle 1 is engine 1, I believe, but I only have 1 throttle on my yoke to I want all engines to respond equally. That setting is Throttle Axis. Notice no numeric designation. You have two blank columns showing, click in the first column on the Throttle Axis row and then click on search by input at the top of the window. Now simply move the throttle on your yoke. It should show you the mapping listed but be sure to validate and save.

Now all you have to do is map all of your other buttons… like I said it took me awhile. If the throttle goes the wrong way in use, you can ‘reverse’ the control in this same window.

I hope that helps,

4 Likes

When I pulled my dust covered CH yoke and pedals out of storage last month, the fist thing I did to set them up in windows was hit WIN+S to bring up the search bar and type in Controller. One of the Search results should be “Setup USB Controllers”. From there I calibrated both devices, and when I got in game, set up each axis/button Individually.

1 Like

When I take off it will not work. It will go hard right or left and when i get off ground straight up then down to ground. I will try setting them up on PC in controller and see if that will help. On MFS 2020 i did all the setting and still have little control of game.

Thanks OIDuffer18, that was usefull info.
Now I have the yoke working.
But it is over reacting a bit, also after recalibrating. Actually it’s not possible to realy fly this way (and I am an experienced pilot).
Could it be that this yoke is too old for this flight sim?

As you discovered, those of us using the CH products have to manually build our bindings from scratch. There are a number of threads on this now including one where I show a sample profile for the Yoke. It is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get them set up, your custom Profiles are saved to the cloud. Learning to use the Controls setup system is also really powerful so you can customize your controls the way you want.

You will want to check out this very detailed video from Squirrel on YT that walks through the whole Controls setup screen in detail. It seems pretty overwhelming but the process is pretty logical once you understand it.

A couple of quick tips to help …

• You are going to be using the “Axis” commands for all inputs that are linear (proportional) like control surfaces, engine controls. This sounds like it may explain your “over control” problem with flight controls. It’s a common mistake and not really explained!

• You will be creating new separate custom Profiles for your Yoke and Pedals. Work on one at a time. You can actually modify these while live in the sim which is a great way to fine tune things and fix things that don’t work the way you want.

• You are going to be using the “Axis” commands for all inputs that are linear (proportional) like control surfaces, engine controls. Don’t use the “standard” non-axis commands or the controls will be “all on / all off”.

• You might prefer to use the “Cockpit Look” commands for your Hat button rather than the “Cockpit Quickview” commands I showed on my example. The “Look” commands provide smooth panning vs snap back views.

• Consider adding an Xbox Game Controller once you get a little flight time under your belt. It is a very easy, slick way to control Slew and the Drone Cam!

Let me know if I can help with any other questions. Rick

I have the same problem. I have calibrated the yoke and created the bindings. All that is fine. However, the reaction of the control surfaces in the sim is erratic to say the least.

• Control surfaces in the SIM not returning to neutral when yoke is returned to center
  • Slow movement in the beginning then snapping to the full deflection of both the elevators and ailerons
  • Big delay in the throttle movement
  • Large delays between moving the control and getting movement of the control surface in the sim.

I have calibrated all controls outside of the sim in windows

1 Like

UNBELIEVABLE!

FOUND THE SOLUTION!

If you download and install the “CH Products Control Manager” http://www.chproducts.com/files/chproducts/control_manager-v4.55a.exe

The controls behave perfectly!

1 Like

When I installed the control manager, it wouldn’t even recognize yoke and pedals as usb game controllers. Had to uninstall. Is there an issue with control manager and Windows 10? The GUI seems very dated.

1 Like

Were they showing up in the game prior to installing? Mine were recognized and I had configured all the controls in the game before I installed the control manager. Don’t know if that makes a difference. The inputs on the controls were just not syncing up well with the movement in the sim until I installed the control manager. Also, try to do a reboot of your PC after installing and see if that helps. I saw some option in the manager which allows you to configure the yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant as one device. You DON’T want to choose that option.

Hope this helps!

I’ve never used the Control Manager and have seen at least one user that wasn’t able to get his Yoke to work until he uninstalled it. I know it’s confusing but I would suggest trying to set it up first without it installed on your system. If the MSFS Controls screen shows your Yoke at the top of the screen with the other controls (makes sure to scroll left and right depending on how many control devices you have), then all you need to do is set up the control bindings as outlined.

I did not have CM installed prior to trying to configure yoke and pedals. I only installed CM only after I still was having unresponsive controls after having mapped everything out in FS 2020. I used the screenshots that have been available on this forum to get everything mapped correctly and still nothing worked. I installed CM hoping to make sure everything was mapped out correctly there and the yoke and pedals disappeared from FS 2020 (not just my configuration but they didn’t appear in the game at all). I went to my device manager and it said their were issues with the drivers. I uninstalled CM and the yoke and pedals again appeared in FS 2020 but w/o my previous configuration. I a starting over from scratch here in a second to see if I can get them to work.

Really? I did that but my yoke is still not centering after a turn. What am I missing?

I would play with the sensitivity and dead zone settings. These allowed me to perform some fine tuning so that the controls felt more natural. Given the age of the devices and probably plenty of dust accumulation on the inside, I would be in the cockpit and just notice the yoke and pedals twitching like crazy. In regular flight my plane always tends to turn to the right too much. Calibration took care of most of it. Fixing up the sensitivity and dead zone in game took care of the rest.

1 Like

Tried that, still nothing. There is a center aileron command but not sure how to assign that to the yoke being in “neutral”.

The same thing happened to me after I rebooted the computer and went back into MSFS. The CH controllers were missing! They were not in the device manager either. Anyway, I re-installed the CM and they came back. I have no idea why, but it is working for me with CM installed. FYI, it shows up under it’s own “CH Products” folder in Device Manager and not under “controllers”.

That’s exactly what I would suggest. Make sure you are using the axis for the yoke. Set up the sensitivity curve with a moderate dead zone And go back and forth to get it to your liking.
Curious how did everyone set of the POV hat switch?

I used it for views. Left hat for look left 45 degrees, right for 45 degrees right, forward for move forward and backward for move backward. I like the looking 45 degrees but I think I could use the forward and backward better as I don’t use that function very often. And mapping buttons is for that very purpose. I’ll have to give that some more thought.

Can you please be so kind and share your setting within the “Manager”?
Especially about sensetivity etc., because my Flight Yoke is still oversteering in a very a bad way.
It´s very hard to do just smal imputs without that the controls are going crazy, which leads very often in an upset situation.

Cheers

That CH Control Manager shouldn’t even be needed or installed. Just plug the controllers in and configure them up in MSFS, takes like 10 min if you have yoke, throttles, and pedals.

I think it flies nicest if you turn the sensitivity for the elevator, aileron, and rudder down to -50% then they aren’t twitchy and work real smooth.

Simplest is best, IMHO.

1 Like

Yes, I´m there already…-50% works more or less good, but it´s not perfect at all. I do have some pretty heavy changes around the pitch axis still.