Changing Bing Maps!

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

The issue is not related to community folder.

Brief description of the issue:

In the past few weeks (2-3 weeks), the Bing map has been changing back and forth from new to old and back! While a new Bing map is a welcome update, the implementation is not there yet so the loading of the mesh/texture maps is blocky and pop up/in which kills the immersion (seems like even with the new Bing maps, the base - in the distance - is the old map). Some of the 3D buildings don’t show up also as the new Bing map is not correctly implemented and the ground texture for 3rd party airports/sceneries is impacted in a negative way (see pictures).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

see ground texture with airplanes at a 3rd party airport (Aerosoft/Homasim OIII) with the new Bing Map

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Debug > Display position)

Everywhere in Iran (at least).

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just start the Sim and some days in the past few weeks the new Bing map loads up, some days the old one!

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

12900KF, 3090 RTX, 64GB Ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Location & Time of Occurrence:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

I have designed freeware airfields around Scotland , made available online. These have been designed in Dev Mode to fit precisely with the online map, adding airfield ground features and custom made models. In the last two weeks we are now seeing on numerous occasions where all elements of the airfields are off-set with the map. At other times everything looks placed as expected. There are also colour variations.
If a new map with different positioning were to be adopted this would have a huge impact on the many third-party add-on sceneries available.

I can’t produce screenshot of problem as at the moment the map appearing is the ‘old’ map. That was not the case, unfortunately, earlier today.

1 Like

Yes

Bing maps will switch between the current and updated data without an option to choose either one of them

Current Bing maps:

Latest Bing maps:

I have the same issue and feel that, in the absence of any guidance from Asobo on why this is happening, or which is the intended future version, there is real cause for concern over the possible impact to the compatibility great many existing scenery addons, whatever their source, if the “new” Bing data is adopted.

The “new” Bing’s mix of misalignment, changed colours and the increased number of burnt in object images at airfield locations is very damaging.

5 Likes

New Bing Maps again tonight! :melting_face:

Hi all,

The dev team is intrigued by this bug, but as it seems totally random, it’s hard to investigate properly. We will monitor this thread so please feel free to report when it happens or any context clues to help reproduce it and the team will gather as much information as possible.

Thanks!

10 Likes

Hi

I previously reported this problem last week and since then we have seen continual changes to the map placement. Last night the map matched with the airfields I have designed over the last 18 months. This morning the ground elements and models placed do not match the map as per screenshot.

3 Likes

Hi,

Same here this morning, though most of yesterday had the correctly aligned map. Great to see the dev team is on the case.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it! I had New Bing Maps last Saturday, Sunday and Monday and last night (Tuesday night, Feb. 13th, 2024) the Old Bing Maps showed up again! The new Bing maps are the issue as they don’t generate autogens at correct locations and the maps tend to mess up the ground texture at 3rd party airports. It also causes pop up/ins.

New Bing maps all day yesterday, didn’t check evening. New Bing maps again this morning.

New map was in place all of yesterday and first thing this morning, UK time.
Map has now reverted to old map which means the airfields I have designed now match the map again, as per the attached screenshot. Compare this screenshot with the one I posted 23h ago. Trying to do designing is getting very frustrating.

4 Likes

Some posts removed.

This is a reminder that this thread is meant to serve as a bug topic, not a discussion topic. If you are experiencing this issue, please feel free to report your findings using the following template.

In addition, if you find workarounds or processes that helped resolve the bug for you, please feel free to post about it, as it may help the team’s investigation.

Outside of this, please use an existing or new topic in the appropriate Discussion Hub or User Support Hub to discuss/assist others with this bug.

All other posts will be removed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Feb. 22, 2024, 8PM Pacific Standard Time, New Bing Maps are showing up all over Iran, where I am flying. Start a flight from OIII.

I will keep reporting this on various days so the team can track the days we have old and new Bing maps!

1 Like

Feb. 25, 2024 7PM Pacific Standard time. New Bing Maps in Iran. Start a flight from OIII

1 Like

Feb 25 2024, 18UTC, LFPZ Saint-Cyr-L’Ecole

2 Likes

The back and forth between the old and new Bing maps depending on the day of the week is interesting! It’s even more interesting that there are two different Bing maps for the game with the new one not implemented correctly! Is it related to MSFS 2024? I hope not!

1 Like

February 27, 2024, 3:13AM UTC Old Bing Maps are back.

1 Like

Could those simply be the offline maps? Have you checked if online services are available?

1 Like

No! They are not offline maps! Offline maps look awful! Everything is online! The Bing maps change on daily basis these days! It’s been a while now… In some areas they may not make much of a difference but in Iran where the old Bing maps are very old, the new one makes a huge difference!

1 Like

Yes, I have noticed this phenomenon for several days; in the morning (France) Bing Maps switches to High resolution in the morning and in the afternoon returns to low resolution

I have screenshots

South of LYON France)

1 Like