Cirrus clouds

Yea we need different cloud types to like cirrus,stratus and thunderheads and other types i can’t think of.

I always thought the upper level clouds were more like cotton wool (cumulus) in FS2020, but they aren’t in real life. I expect to find wispy, feather like cirrus clouds (ice crystals) high up in the atmosphere. Also the ‘mist’ that is seen in the distance is way too clear for my liking, but in real life the visibility is shown depending on the weather type. When the sky is overcast or near enough, about to rain, for example, you only get to fly through low clouds that are touching the earth below, distant and horizontal visibility should only be shown up to the level of the type of clouds that are covering the sky.

Clouds are not like cotton wool anymore, but… no Cirrus !

I also voted for the other one… didn’t know this topic existed and there is no link over there.

Let’s kick this one for 2022…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(with lots of wind)

(when the wind stopped)

4 Likes

Hello. When will there be fibrous cirrus in msfs? In the attachment there is a screenshot from x plane 11 with the addition of xEnviro which performs volumetric clouds.

8 Likes

Cirrus pls :sweat_smile: 2 years still the same boring monotone weather patterns.

7 Likes

They should also consider ‘contrails’ that linger in the sky for a very long while. This would also be ideal for realism, along with the cirrus cloud types.

5 Likes

To my surprise the dev team seem to have implemented cirrus clouds with SU10 in default clear-skies preset.

Clear-skies preset was no-cloud fully clear before SU10, now I can see scatters of high altitude light clouds but they look pretty lame in their current shape indeed, blurry and round instead of crispy and fuzzy.

And they’ve removed it again in SU11.

This can link in with stratus too, as cirrostratus are simply very high altitude stratus clouds.

Lets get as many votes as we can on these issues.

Search clouds for all the topics, now that they’ve decided to separate them all.

1 Like

good job for Asobo removing the bad looking cirrus clouds, i hope they bring it back with cirrus clouds looking like the real thing instead of the flurries of cotton lumps as in the previous build.

5 Likes

Seriously though. All we have are cumulus clouds. I think maybe I’ve seen stratus? But the cloud variety in this game is ■■■■ poor.

2 Likes

This was 2007.

Asobo WAKE UP! the weather engine it’s poor!

7 Likes

it has been over 2 years, still no other cloud types.

4 Likes

Many cloud types are missing even if the sim is supposed to support “all cloud types” as initially advertised. Meantime you can always use that great free addon: Floyds Epic Clouds » Microsoft Flight Simulator. Those are preset clouds and I hope one day we’ll see the same in Live Weather (pre-SU7 Live weather was able to generate more realistic cloud types than what we have now).

1 Like

I agree.
I have seen many post praising the weather to some degree.
I hope this praise doesn’t send a message that we are satisfied with what we are getting.
I haven’t seen/heard any more regarding weather.
I mean WU 12. New Zealand. Beautiful but I rarely fly there.
New planes, great. There are many developers doing pretty well here.

I know flight simulation is very difficult. This thing has come so far I just hope we don’t get stuck on planes and world updates (which are important, true) without fixing the more complex issues that we still are having to overlook.
I hope I’m wrong. I hope 2023 we’ll get closer to better weather overall and not just metar depictions(abrupt transitions)
Cheers

5 Likes

I’ve been watching some recent videos and think x-plane is starting to pull ahead, at least in the cirrus cloud category. What I see here is plausable and much better than any attempt of cirrus clouds I’ve seen thus far in MSFS.

Since both sims clouds are “voxel” based, I assume MSFS can do the same? Especially when the aircraft gets above these cirrus/cirrostratus layer - looks more like what we would see in the real world.

This (what x-plane is attempting in video here) adds something we are sorely missing in MSFS, variety of the sky! https://youtu.be/YFsd242diUo?t=3490
(it seems we are always seeing the same boring semi transparent cumulus cloud puffs everywhere) Some wispy but more solid/opaque high clouds in random patterns (where applicable) would be a great immersion adder!

1 Like

Have you tried the high level clouds preset or the new cirrus presets from Floyds free addon ? Floyds Epic Clouds » Microsoft Flight Simulator. Cirrus are missing from Live Weather and I really hope they are working on it to have them back and correctly displayed. If it can be achieved through custom weather then it is possible to have it in Live Weather too. They’ve changed something in Live Weather since SU7 and it looks like MeteoBlue data are not correctly interpreted to generate right cloud types.

x-plane added cirrus clouds in their new beta, hope we get some as well.

3 Likes

The clouds have looked terrible and dumbed down since SU7…aka for years. I don’t think any improvements will be coming to 2020. Maybe in 2024, but they haven’t said one word about the weather. I am not even sure MeteoBlue is involved with 2024…they haven’t said that either. The live weather in this sim from a visual immersion standpoint on a scale from 1-10 gets a 2. It’s mundane and boring. Same old same old cloud depiction. No cirrus, no multi layered stratus clouds, certainly no realistic looking thunderstorms…just the same rendition of puffy cumulus. I am wondering if the reality is they just can’t do any better than what currently exists because of the metar usage for the sim, or the computer processing power that would be needed. As everyone knows pre metar the cloud representation was 100 times better. Right now it’s a snooze fest. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The other thing I have noticed is that over 2600 views on this topic and only 163 votes. That tells me the avg person thinks the weather is fine. So this issue may be totally dead in the water.

3 Likes

And… those x-plane cirrus above look just fine! That’s all we really need in MSFS. Mix those higher clouds (of course only when appropriate or as weather maps show) with more realistic towering cumulus, cumulonimbus, realistic thunderstorms like we had at MSFS release, stratus (for God’s sake why isn’t live weather able to create an overcast layer @ higher levels like 12,000 or 16,000 feet?), and limited visibility due to humidity and /or pollution or smoke and I think we would be much much better off than now… but that’s dreaming I suppose…

I hate to be negative but I’m in agreement with @SaintedGolf136 above in thinking Asobo just doesn’t care to improve the weather, is it just about pleasing the fancy scenery and more casual x-box crowd? I mean, what else can we conclude when NO ONE at Asobo talks about improving the weather/atmosphere anymore? A canned tornado in MSFS 2024 is improvement to the simulation portion of weather in MSFS? Not quite what most in this thread are looking for I reckon…

Right now like said in post right before this one, the skies are so bland and boring compared to the wonderful scenery Asobo have created. Too bad the skies could not look as good as the ground usually does in MSFS! After all, we’re virtual pilots and we “live” in the virtual skies!

4 Likes

I fully agree with both of you.
MSFS had incredible weather back when it was fully meteoblue and not this metar nonsense.

It has been a downhill battle from that point on, i wish they made it optional to have just full meteoblue weather again.

4 Likes