Cloud textures pixelated and grainy

Hello.

Please vote Bring back Clouds previous to update 5.

3 Likes

Iā€™m noticing pretty severe pixelization in the towering clouds after the latest patch too (1.10.8.0). My graphics card is a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER with the latest 457.09 drivers and all FS2020 sliders set to Ultra.

I have tried modding the UserCfg.opt to remove all post processing as suggested, as well as forcing my Anti Aliasing - Transparency to 8x supersample in the nVida control panel but no luck. Stratus clouds and lower cumulus clouds donā€™t have any issues- it just seems to be the towering large volume types.

1 Like

Same here with a 1080 since the last couple of patches. Changes in graphics settings donā€™t make a difference. In the king air looking back from the cockpit with the sun on the rear passenger seats the light is just scattered shimmering squares. Itā€™s the same textures as in the clouds. It might be a light reflection issue or something light that as opposed to pure cloud textures.

Same here - RX5700, volumetric clouds on high, played with settings, nothing changesā€¦

Yes sirā€¦That fixed it for me. I kept sharpen at 1, however.
Very nice work!

Weirdly I havenā€™t noticed it with clouds. I have seen it very visibly with water reflections, plane reflections, bright textures like taxiway markings, treeā€™s & shadows (most notably plane shadows).

Editā€¦I thought the sharpen made no difference, but the clouds seem much better with it at 0 as well.

This seems to have reduced the cloud pixelization for me too, so thanks for pointing it out! Turning sharpen off does seem to noticeably fuzzy things up though, particularly cockpit labels. Iā€™m going to try adding ReShade and using one of its sharpen filters to see if that produces a happy medium.

The same thing happened with the 1050Ti

First time I played I noticed this and really am wishing its gets more attention. Some conditions appear worst then others but its still present in some way almost all the time.

I fired up yesterday and noticed, for the first time, the pixelated clouds. Realized I had been mucking about with video settings trying to get jungle to look right. Went into Nvidia and noticed I had left antialiasing set at x8 instead of application controlled. Corrected that and went back to simulator. Smooth clouds again.
Just a thought. Something to check.

Thatā€™s unrelated, the clouds are just built like that. thereā€™s no way to make them less grainy or more grainy, sometimes you donā€™t get those grainy clouds in your sky and sometimes you get them. Thatā€™s not related to any graphical option inside/outside of the sim. Donā€™t try to fix them, they can only be optimized further by Asobo, Thatā€™s the way theyā€™re getting those 3D clouds without so much of performance drop, the downside is the clouds being grainy.

"As the developer of the freeware volumetric cloud add-on for X-Plane, I really would like to mention a few things about the visual glitches people are mentioning:

Sadly, aircraft and other objects (including terrain) having pixelated / flickering edges issue will probably stay forever - it is an issue caused by lower-resolution rendering of the clouds. Basically, as our current GPUs are unable to render all pixels of clouds real-time, a compromise needs to be done.

It is possible to render less per frame and then use temporal reprojection to reposition rest of the pixels (which is what MSFS is doing). It is quite nice, but it also causes lots of noise / grain artifacts.

Another approach is to render clouds off-screen with a lower resolution - as clouds are inherently blurry, it is possible to get similar results while rendering a lot less pixels (which is what trueSKY is doing). However, this approach causes an issue with depth testing (hence the interaction with all objects) as the depth buffer is now also low-resolution. This creates pixel ā€œgapsā€ and these gaps become visible once they are overlapped into the final high-resolution screen.

trueSKY tries to prevent this effect by using both high and low resolution depth testing passes with some edge detection magic (I might be slightly wrong, check out the trueSKY SDK for more details: https://docs.simul.co/programming/rendering.html - the ā€œMixed Resolution Renderingā€ part) but it is not 100% effective, so you still get these artifacts. My plugin has the exact same artifact, and iirc even xEnviro. In other words, this is a general issue with all volumetric cloud implementations and thereā€™s not an effective fix yet.

Sadly, itā€™s the same with new rectangular pattern observable in higher altitudes. But I still believe further updates might be able to hide that effect a lot better than now. "

I found this statement on avsim forums, the guy explains how the clouds are rendered in MSFS and why they have so much grain in them.

5 Likes

Very interesting. Good information.
However, in my case, I was in flight, noticed the grainy cloudsā€¦

1. paused (esc)
  2. opened Nvidia Control Panel
  3. switched off Nvidia antialiasing (or more accurately returned antialiasing control to the application)
  4. applied changes - exited Nvidia Control Panel
  5. resumed my flight

No pixelated clouds. Mere coincidence?

NVIDIA Control Panel settings wonā€™t affect untill you restart the application. Maybe the weather got refreshed in that time and the clouds got restructed.

Take a look in your NVidia-Settings under 3d-Settings. I had there sharpening and grain comming from nowhere

Thanks for the explanation! Will hope that Asobo will be able to enhance this visual shortcoming eventually.

Thank you for the explanations, but now you have to deactivate which one of ( Anti-aliasing ) ?

1- Anti-aliasing FXAA
2- Anti-aliasing Gamma correction
3- Anti-aliasing Mode
4- Anti-aliasing Transparency

Thank you for your answers

Screenshot_1

I just watched old screen captures just after the game was released - the clouds looked different!! I can not really understand why they did this in an updateā€¦

1 Like

Please, Can you stop flooding all thread with your vote ?

Hi,

which antialising you switched off ? there are 4 of them in the nvidia CP , Anti-aliasing FXAA, Anti-aliasing Gamma correction, Anti-aliasing Mode, Anti-aliasing Transparency

thanks !