Complete listing of all 35K+ airports in MSFS 2020

In good old FSX is was possible to see ALL the airports, sorted by country, state, city, etc.
How do we do this in MSFS 2020?

2 Likes

The only way I can think of is to use PSX tool to extract all the airports in the database. But from my experience I can only extract about 14,000 of them. But yeah, they’re only extracted based on their ICAO code and not by country, state, etc.

Any particular need for you to see all the airport list?

… wonder if MSFS missed anything… all these white dots… use Search on code I would say, this is huge

Try this:
https://skyvector.com/airports

Thanks for your reply. I would like to know which airports are NOT included in MSFS 2020. The flight planning map with the little white dots is a bit hard to use. The search function does not always work.
I am using the SkyVector Airports list as the “Master” list. I know there are hundreds of airports missing. I’m hoping that the content creating community will fill these in. Especially the larger ones.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be expecting large airports to be missing. I’d probably expect small and obscure airfields to be missing. Or new airports that hasn’t been opened at the time.

I can give you some stats from when I wrote my LetsFly app… LetsFly • Microsoft Flight Simulator

57,782 Master List. Airports/Helipads/etc from OurAirports.com (cool site)
24,839 Remained merging that data with an airports/helipads in MSFS
Missing: 32,943

I didn’t do much analysis on what’s missing, but a quick pass it seems water landing, helipads, and smaller/medium airports. Also this is assuming OutAirports.com’s free airport list is up to date and accurate. Perhaps a few more airports have been added in MSFS. Your welcome to the data, it’s just a text CSV file called “LetsFlyDB.db” in the ZIP. It’s a combination of different sources, I massaged into one file. But you can sort the data by country/state/etc. The rows with a “1” in the msfs_compatible column are included with MSFS2020.

Time permitting I’d like to dig into the data a bit more and see if I can account for all 35k airports claimed.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are many larger and medium sized commercial airports missing at this time. I just did a forum search on “missing airports” and there are a ton of posts on this topic. I’m a bit surprised this issue has not received a higher priority.

3 Likes

Ahh, I see… I don’t really know much about any missing airports. the ones I’ve been looking for have always been there. And the ones that I know are missing are brand new airports recently opened in the last year or so. Which I don’t expect them to have an up to date data on them.

That’s absolutely incorrect. If they use the right sources, new airports will be there.
There are cases where an airport that opened in 2016 is missing. Needless to say it is already in Navigraph and obviously in the country’s AIP.

In Vanuatu, the airport of the country’s capital is missing (NVVV). Nearly every grass strip in the country is there. Note the airport was built during WWII, plenty of time to get good data.

1 Like

What I mean is maybe these data hasn’t been properly converted to the format that the sim can read and build. They could be using the right sources, but if some of these data hasn’t been converted into a usable airport, than it would look like it’s missing.

We have the reporting channels with zendesk, right? If you find a missing airport that’s suppose to be there just report them. Attach the documentations, and let them work on it to fix it. Until then, just fly to the other airport that’s not missing. There’s nothing else you can do about it, getting upset over it doesn’t help anyone either.

You mean this?

My point is, I hope they use the right sources. Before processing data, they should make sure they ingest the right sources of data. If not Navigraph or every country’s AIP (which is public domain), then what? Why is a 5-year-old airport missing?

Obviously Zendesk tickets have been raised loooong ago - Solved!
I guess it’s in the backlog

EDIT yes that’s the one - it wasn’t there until a month ago. Awesome news it looks it was introduced probably in the last world update.

Or maybe it’s my Navigraph placing it there. Hahahah.

I guess it is, because it is still missing here.

Missing airports is not only due to data availability. Most of the airports are created by AI if I am remembering that correctly. There are a bunch of strips that are not modeled because the sat image is obscured. I have encountered a number now that have generic texture in place of a known airfield. The East Asian Pacific region is notorious for missing airfields. Check the list on Zendesk and you will see that the majority are in the cloud belt around the western Pacific.

@willisxdc pls help where can I find the list on Zendesk?
Thanks.

1 Like

One such example was Stuttgart in Germany (EDDS/STR).

That airport is the 6th busiest in Germany and in continuous use since 1936, with about 14 million PAX yearly.

I don’t know if it has been added in the meantime.

1 Like

No need to dig into Pacific’s lonely airfields, one the worlds greatest hubs LTFM Istanbul International, which was inaugurated partly back in 2018 and fully in 2019, is absolutely still missing in MSFS.

Yeah, still missing in the sim’s database but there must be a payware scenery for EDDS Stuttgart, released just recently.

1 Like