[CONT] Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

For what it’s worth I just landed at Manchester Airport yesterday, and had the same problem with jetways.
so not only payware.

2 minutes later after I had been on a look around the airport in the drone they appeared.

1 Like

Is this new, rain being lit by volumetric lights? Maybe I’ve just never noticed it before.

And are those seats supposed to face rearward?

1 Like

Anyone else noticed some weird rimpled lines around the edges of small islands?
This is so distracting.

Here I tried to capture what I mean.
You are about to see some “rolling” lines along the edges of tiny islands which are practically flat.

https://youtu.be/tuNAZbfF-0w

I don’t know if this is a known issue or that I found something new.

Maybe it has to do with the anti aliasing?

Cheers Mark

The other thread got closed, and I was not able to answer you regarding the memory usage. Here is what I have had right now on a flight from EFHK to LSZH over the Baltic Sea. It does not look to me like it is capped to any XBOX limit. More effective garbage collection is in my view only a good thing.

1 Like

People with NVme installs will be seeing less ram used because of ‘Direct Storage’ techniques which is partly responsible for the big boosts we’re getting … but not everyone has NVme speeds and Asobo can’t just ignore that and up ram usage without care.

1 Like

More info here if interested:

I am not claiming the RAM usage hasn’t been reduced, as it clearly has been (garbage collection). All I am trying to convey is that it may not be as simple as “they dumbed it down because of XBOX”.

3 Likes

I see the difference too. At 60fps, it looks like a video, at 30 it looks like reality.

2 Likes

I prefer 30fps. It’s close to cinema 24fps.
I tried 60fps and I don’t like it.

2 Likes

It does not support Direct Storage. Where are you coming up with this stuff? If you had done just a bit more googling youd realise thr bandwidth increase from Direct Storage is many times greater than the FS engine needs, especially in its crippled Xbox state.

And you still havent posted an image from your citation at Heathrow showing 16gb of RAM usage. Youve been busted posting an SU4 screenshot or a hacked LOD config.

It really is. Seb spent 6 months redesigning the engine pipeline to squeeze as much performance out of the engine as possible and get it running on a the standard xbox spec. He did a brilliant job but that 25% FPS boost did not all come for free.

All people are asking for is to restore the texture and image quality as optionally for PC users. I feel confident that this will come.

Yes , it’s a known issue. Sometimes the jetways disappears, sometimes not. Or they appears later. On free addons, payware addons and official handcrafted airports…
Let’s pray for the next fixes embedded into the WU6…

Show me where I said that MSFS for PC supported Direct Storage. As far as I am aware, there are no games for the PC that support the API, yet. Up until last month it was going to be a Windows 11 feature, only. It has recently been announced that Windows 10 will be getting it. As to the bandwidth increase being too high for MSFS, citation please - because I call bullshine.

I posted an image of heathrow using 18GB and Gatwick using 24GB, RAM and Video RAM combined (both taken yesterday, in SU5, with a vanilla config file), which would both be impossible on an xBox. Your little pet conspiracy theory, that the PC version cannot use more than xBox specs, is proved wrong. If you can’t accept facts (or work out that your image was using a 5 x smaller render :rofl::laughing:), that’s on you.:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think he is referring to this post

That may be so, but I certainly didn’t say that.

By the way. It just popped in my mind… is it possible the current culling technique is a preperation for direct storage? That they have developped an interface “getstuff” which could be switched from disk api to directstorage api? (I’m being abstract here)

Direct Storage requires DX12 and FS2020 is DX11. It has nothing to do with the FPS increases.

You may be right. Direct Storage should be a game changer for how long object and textures take to load from storage, so culling would be much less noticeable, because (if done right) the object would be loaded before they came into the FOV.

Unless they fixed it, that’s not the whole story :wink:

You clearly didnt look ay my posts, I posted screenshots at 150 render scale too and yes they were around 6 or 7gb RAM.

Nobody apart from you is able to recreate that memory usage so either you have a corrupt install or you have hacked the config.

And again ita not a conspiracy its just a fact that the xbox release has meant a reduction in quality for PC users.

Everyone knows it and even Asobo have acknowledged that they are looking at providing PC specific settings to increase quality above SU5.