Cowan Simulation R22

CowanSims Robinson R22 in the works. We will probably see a R44 from Cowan soon too…

4 Likes

Not a fan of Robbies but a fan of Cowan! Looks like a fun one! Always glad to see more helicopters!

2 Likes

Me either, in fact I believe piston helicopters are just inverted lawnmowers. :laughing:

But really all rotorcraft are “a million parts rapidly rotating around an oil leak, waiting for metal fatigue to set in.”

Robinson’s get a bad wrap simply statistically. They are the most popular helicopter for trainers and entry level low hour pilots. We hear about all their issues more because they are so relevant and popular. They scare me and I would prefer to skip that part of helicopter training, but in the States it’s near impossible to find someone teaching turbine first. Which is weird because helicopters don’t have type ratings like fixed wings. Only weight ratings. So you don’t need a license for piston vs jet turbine.

2 Likes

Robbies from my understanding were also prone to unique safety issues that their closest competitor, the Hughes Schweizer S300, wasn’t.

Anyway that’s not the point, it’s a new helo for the sim. I know of one other he was considering that I’m hoping we’ll see this year, and that we haven’t had a rendition of in the sim for 10 years.

2 Likes

The freeware R44 Raven II by Fred Airland is also excellent but I am looking forward to this one!

3 Likes

Looking forward to the R22 as it’s the only heli I have flown in real life and the Cowansim R66 is possibly my preferred helicopter at the moment.

2 Likes

Out now if you’d like to buy direct! :helicopter:

Manual

Checklist

4 Likes

I’m putting it through it’s paces…
I should have a review video out maybe tomorrow. It depends on how distracted I get by the Shrike Sabre…

3 Likes

Looking forward to it! I know you have real world seat time in the R22, can’t wait to hear what you think. What’s the good, the bad and the ugly? :laughing:

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to your review! Nothing better than to hear from a real pilot on type =)

I’m really enjoying the R22 so far. I think it might be my new favorite helicopter from Cowan Sim. I did some low level flying with it over the Isles of Scilly yesterday. It’s fun to fly, relatively nimble and yet feels quite stable compared to some of the other helicopters.

6 Likes

Thanks for the nice video!
What is the top cruise speed?

I’m glad you like it! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

It cruises happily at 80-90kts, but you must be a bit careful not to overspeed it, it’s VNE is at around 100kts and you can get there in level flight.

1 Like

I was hoping it would be faster. I’m in need of something that doesn’t leave me at the back in heli group flights, but is still “manual” and fun / interesting / challenging to fly. i.e. not the H160 / 145

1 Like

I guess the R22 is for helicopters a bit like the Cessna 152 is for airplanes… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

:rofl: the best example of “how to waste fuel”!

1 Like

Haha the perfect A to A airplane…Just be careful not to enter downwind, you’ll shoot past the airfield at about 1000000 mph and never come back :crazy_face:

1 Like

that’s the 125 hands down :slight_smile:
or the lama/allouette

2 Likes

Nice! Your helicopter skills are improving!

1 Like

Thank you =) Mostly thanks to your tutorial videos and your great landing advise back on my Alouette video. That really helped me a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

Holy cow first the R-66 and now the R-22? Wow im astonished right now i absolutely love the Robinson helicopters!!! Cowansim you guys are the absolute best! I fly your helicopters everyday and they fly absolutely how they should fly! Thank you so much Cowansim and hopefully will see the R-44 soon!

3 Likes