Cowansims B206B Released

Had an initial flight with the Cowansim B206 and I like it. Performance was very good in VR. A little twitchy and takes some getting used to but very flyable. Some things not yet complete like the throttle but this is a problem with the sim and it will come. Also, the sounds are excellent. Good work Josh!

5 Likes

Wow. Totally missed this coming to MSFS. I have it in XP-12 and it is fantastic.

Going to get it in the morning! The texture works looks much better than the FlyInside version!

Whether realistic or not I’ll fly just for fun!

VR performance worse for me in the cowan than the flyinside. Let the experts decide on the flight model!

I’m trying it for the first time now. Initial impressions are, where is the user guide, how do I get rid of this coplilot headset blocking my view, why couldn’t they manage to map the throttle to buttons, like the Cabri or the FlyInside? The flight model is definitely inferior to the FlyInside, couldn’t get it to fail for over torque, couldn’t hot start it, couldn’t get into VRS. The visuals are nice though, but that static copilot headset blocking the view was an odd decision. Also it would be ncie to hide the wire cutters and floats, maybe we can, but then again there’s no user guide included, just a quick start doc.

6 Likes

First impression: Would have loved the Cowansim 206, if the FylInside 206 had not been released two days earlier.
The Cowansim’s modelling looks a bit nicer, probably better use of PBR, the engine 3D model looks better, and there are a lot of rivets outside that I think FlyInside have omitted.
But for me at the moment the FlyInside wins with better sounds, shaking cabin, and especially the flight model (but I am not a real-world pilot).

Edit: Looked closer at the FlyInside heli’s outside and there are plenty of beautiful rivets.

2 Likes

Praying this comes to Xbox. The 206 was what I flew when first introduced to Flight Sim by my grandpa with FS '98.

I’d be even more ecstatic if it came with the OG livery:
microsoft-flight-simulator-98-05.medium
75 different liveries are apparently included, so there’s a chance.

3 Likes

And its on sale right now…CowanSim 206 B3-Cowan-206

On sale for X-Plane, not MSFS …

2 Likes

I have been eagerly awaiting feedback on this one because I have to choose one of the two versions for the time being. It is very obvious that both versions were rushed to release since they are two copies of the exact same model helicopter. I am a huge fan of Cowan Sim products in XP but it is obviously a big challenge to replicate XP performance in MSFS with helicopter physics being brand new. With Flyinside using their own external model for physics, it really sets up an interesting comparison.

Owning both, if you’re after a superior FM I would say go for the FlyInside.

3 Likes

Thanks. The decision will only be temporary anyway as I fully intend to own both in time. I am very interested to see how the two different approaches evolve. The MSFS helo physics will improve I am sure and as they do, the modules that use that the native physics will improve as well.

I didn’t buy any. Flyinside’s Bell 206 helicopter is of very poor quality. The 3D external model is very low quality, very incomplete and inaccurate. I feel like I’m going back in time 15 years. The 3D cockpit is also of very poor quality and inaccurate. The instruments are of poor quality.

The most beautiful models are made by Carenado, Milviz, Nemeth Design. Place the NĂ©meth Design Bell 407 helicopter and the Flyinside Bell 206 helicopter next to each other. The difference is huge.

I think we need high end models. The hardware is available to ensure proper operation. I use a 3090 video card in 4k resolution. I want to see the top quality, because I have the driver background, for the appearance. I love helicopters, but I only buy high quality models.

I bought the Flyinside Bell 47 helicopter. In the past 1 year, I have informed them several times about the errors regarding the visual model and cockpit. It has not been fixed. I think Flyinside gives a weak, average quality. The Cowan sim is of average quality, but there are also many problems with the 3D model and the cockpit.

4 Likes

I own both and am quite happy with each of them. Both are what I would call early access versions - they both need some work. I suspect that both were a little rushed to market. Also the sim needs some further development in the area of rotorcraft. All of this will come in time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, that’s also my feeling. But I think ultimately we need several actual jetranger pilots (unless you are one) test and compare the two flightmodels… If anyone knows review videos by actual jetranger pilots, let us know!

1 Like

Paging @Oldahpilot for feedback on this one! (If possible of course)

1 Like

Hope this will be available in another place soon, paypal won’t let me pay without creating a new account or reactivating my old account, something I don’t want to do for various reasons.

I have a friend that flies the JetRanger and Bell 412. I’ll contact him after the holiday.
Not sure if he owns a copy of the sim. I’ll have to ask.

1 Like

I have Flyinside B206 and just bought the Cowan B206
SO far on the Cowan:
Cowan has better Graphics
She flys very similar to flyinside(but did notice no retreating blade stall, you can cut collective fall out of the sky then just give full collective and she recovers…not so with Flyinside
No ground effects like dust, water and etc.
Also cant seem to get the govner to100% stays at 80%
No manual that i can find
Just my two cents in this early test
Merry Christmas

2 Likes

Thank you for your valueable feedback. Guess I will be skipping both in the meantime.

3 Likes