Crash to desktop without error message

Hope lasted only 2 hours …

Hi @ArisenAutumn59

yes, you have right. There is no guarantee that e.g. the power supply realy cause issues and to bought new one because of a “guess” is a riscy. Same for the memory, in special when retailer installed it. My points are thoughts about possible problems with the system, but it is of course not possible in this way to say that this are definitly problems.

Because Peripherals… some users report issues with wireless devices and also some kind of joystick cause for some users problems. Sometime driver, often USB-Hub, rare more as 10 devices connected, more rare cloud-config-storage becomes invalid. Hence the thoughts about possible problems from this side.

Hi @Jhonny8916

allways the not-easy issues :slight_smile:

0xc0000005 is unfortunately a ‘general’ errornumber and can have many reasons… from old xmp mode , over pagefile, gpu drivers, till a in-game bug.

In this way he can only check step by step about drivers are up to date, of course no overclocking, etc…
Otherwise we need bit more infos… systems specs, when exactly it happens ( is there a pattern ), etc.

Good starting point may be also the FAQs like: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015893879-Crashing-CTDs-issues
( but don’t let him start a reinstall-all-orgie :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi @MichaMMA
Well, he is a pilot of the VA that I fly too and we are like 5 who fly with MSFS but he’s the only one having issues with the sim so far, for the rest of us is very stable.
Yesterday he told me via Discord that the sim stutters on the approach, then I told him to swipe away AI traffics and clear the Cache that he didn’t knew abt this and perform a test, and well , based on the information that u gave me today I’ll tell him to check drivers, XMP profiles step by step to see what happens!!!
Thank you for your prompt answer!

2 Likes

one note… I also seen some reports, that the discord overlay cause issues… just in case…

That’s hard to say with the peripherals, I use a wireless blutooth Kensington trackball for MSFS and it works flawlessly. If I left it timeout being wireless, it can cause a ctd though but has and recovered many times. Have to nudge it every few mins. When I used to use an xbox controller, if it ran out of charge during a flight it could freeze up the sim as well.

1 Like

I am currently going through all process’ described above, to include the following:

Uninstalled all Graphics drivers
Uninstalled MSFS APP
Removed any and all content from where the APP was installed.
Re-Boot
Re-install listed above

We’ll see how it goes. But with a FR of 2-5 this SIM is not playable.

a hint:
try to clean windows with:
cleanmgr.exe.

It is part of windows, key in the name into the search field …

Hi… in my opinion, it is not a solution for CTD to re-install the whole game ( or windows itself ). I know, some users reported that this was helpful ( mosty for the ‘not starting issues’, but I assume then the reason was a driver conflict or something else. Short said, I can recommend re-install MSFS or windows only as the realy last option and it may be also without any success.

In your case the memory looks more interessting… 18GIG working set, means possible >25GIG commited memory only for msfs. Thus check possible your virtual memory.
In special in your systeminfo image I see:
Have you limit this manualy ?

But what I seen also is FRAPS. This is known tool that cause issues ( e.g. ). In case you use FRAPS for FPS counter only, you should better use tools like shadowplay or afterburner ( but only the latest version, others can also cause issues ).

Thanks. Until the last update/hot fix, I was averaging 30 FPS not great, but not horrible either and definitely flyable. No, I didn’t limit manually as shown in that image. I have followed the instructions provided in the link above (yours) however since.

ah… so you had these strange performance issue and no CTD ?
( forgive me in case you already wrote about and I not seen it :slight_smile: )

I ask about virtual memory , because I expected bit more usage in your case. But maybe it’s because when you made the image of sysinfo. Some users limited manualy here virtual memory and 4-5 GIG pagefile is with 32GIG RAM not enough. If you have it at “system managed” it should normaly works fine… but… “normaly” :)… As a little reference point: with my game settings ( near 4k, most ultra ) I see max system usage of 55GIG commited ( not msfs alone, but it was the number one of memory consumer ).

I am a bit concerned by this comment. I am not sure where your “computer IQ” falls so I don’t want to make assumptions. It appears you are confused between the “internal power supply” in the computer and the AC supply that you have the computer plugged in to. While a “dirty” AC supply in the house can cause issues, or if you have too many appliances plugged into the same circuit although this would generally result in “blowing a breaker” on the house panel.

What @MichaMMA was talking about was the internal PSU (power supply unit). This is what distributes the various supplies to the components inside the computer. The CPU, GPU and motherboard all have their own requirements, as do the drives and fans and anything plugged into the USB ports.

When the total power requirements for each of the components are added up we can determine the “size” of PSU required to run the system. In your case the power requirements of the CPU and GPU alone push the 500 watt limit of your current PSU. Power supply capacity and quality is very important to overall system stability. If the draw of power exceeds the supply there will be variations in the voltages that control internal CPU/GPU timings. This can most definitely cause a CTD.

No need to despair. PSU’s are relatively cheap. You can take it back to your retailer and ask them to replace the PSU with a minimum 750watt supply. I personally run a 1000watt but that is based on my desire to never exceed 75% rated capacity. This is a preventative step. It may not solve your problems but the CPU you have installed is rated for a recommended 550watt supply, and so it can not hurt to upgrade that.

While you are there. You might want to ask if the RAM they installed is “matched”. Don’t worry if you don’t know what that means, they will. (hopefully :wink: ) Also ask if they have enabled any O/C in the bios. XMP controls the memory timings. Some users have no problems with it enabled, but there are other “Boosts” that can be set n the bios. Ask them to be sure it is set to normal, not fast or turbo.

Those were the only two things that jumped out to me as well when I read your list. Thanks for posting that by the way. It really helps. To many on here seem to covet that information as though it will grant access to their credit cards if they post it.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask for more assistance. That is why we are here. (when we aren’t flying)

2 Likes

That pretty much sums up everything we need, luck.

When I see EVERYTHING that I could try as solutions found here on this forum, or elsewhere, or with my own ideas, I’m still at the same point. I’m starting to think, it’s my fault, I should have had a little more “luck”.

a little reminder for VR users with issues exist this category

VR or not VR the CTDs are present. By creating 50 subjects on the CTDs, we dilute a BIG problem, into several small problems, but THE problem persists.

When lucky, it is only present if you fly over one of the areas of the map that is not a bug area.
I want it for proof

[quote = “Gsx31, post: 40, topic: 345761”]
We need to stop thinking that AMD or whoever is responsible for CPCs.
The CTD come from a bug on the map.
During updates, they have to fix it in one place and cause it in another place.

[Going back to the first version compatible with VR 1.12.13.0 I managed to fly for at least 5 hours, on the same flight, which with versions 1.14.5.0 or even 1.14.6.0, never exceeded a few minutes.] (Crash to desktop without error message - #3274 by Gsx31)
[/ quote]

[quote = “StopHalfling310, post: 42, topic: 345761, full: true”]
Well, I don’t agree with your statement regarding the GPU. Drivers are the source of the problem in many cases. In my setup reverting to 21.2.2 fixes the issue instantly and I can fly for hours without issues. Upgrading to the latest version 21.3.2 creates a CTD in minutes. It’s as simple as that. A clear Radeon regression.

I do agree, however, that the headset has nothing to do with this.
Additionally, these issues are usually caused by a combination of factors and experience may vary.
[/ quote]

[quote = “Gsx31, post: 44, topic: 345761, full: true”]
I just installed the 21.2.2 driver.

I’m launching a flight that causes CTDs. 747 at high altitude. LFPG to FACT
3 minutes after take-off, finished, screen frozen, PC blocked, forced restart.

If you don’t mind, you can try starting an LFPG flight to FACT with the 747 I don’t take more than a few minutes. Thank you
[/ quote]

[quote = “StopHalfling310, post: 48, topic: 345761”]
I just did the VR flight again this time. After 30 minutes I had a CTD. Checked the dump and the cause was directly in MSFS, an access violation in their code. So nothing about the video driver here. I have to say that I was going from one drone camera to another in a pretty quick sequence.
[/ quote]

As long as he flew over bug-free areas of the map, he didn’t have a CTD.
But by “bad luck” when he came to fly over an area of the map that causes CTD, like me, he had a CTD.

On a 10 hour flight, I don’t keep the VR headset on my head for 10 hours. After a while, the headset switches to standby, and the display switches to the 2D screen for hours. We cannot therefore say that VR is involved. Yet after X time I have a CTD

Thank you both, I am on the case and will report back in due course. This is in fact the most potentially useful info I have had since the Dec Update which is when the CTD started in ernest.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately you were wright.
It did not solve problem after all.

I now use addonslinker (flightsim.to) and that helps a lot but still CTD’S after a while.
The fact that loading times are shorter now (because of addonslinker) makes it bearable :woozy_face:.

Time for ASOBO to step into action !!!
This is getting very annoying …

Gr Will

1 Like

Tried both. Not much difference. I’ve done as stated above, and CTDs during the loading screen have stopped (for now). But, the frame rate is an abysmal 2-5 FPS, still.

yeah :slight_smile:

we going bit off-topic with that, but ok :slight_smile:

I see you play 4K too ( full 4K, in contrast to my 3840x1600 ). What is your in-game settings ?
I own a 2080TI and this is at the limit with my near all ultra settings ( and I have only 6 mega pixel, you 8 ). In special night lights in cities bring fps down. Is your 2fps issue also if you choose a medium / low profile for a test ?

And to see the real GPU load in taskmanager, you can check this thread:

( also the diff HAGS vs not-HAGS in taskmanager is mentioned. I think you have hags disabled and then you have to choose graphics_1 engine in taskmanager. )

Ah… and you can open the “Resource Manager” ( e.g. taskmanager - perf tab - buttom link ) to see more detailed memory consumption of msfs.

Here’s something odd:

I noticed that my last crash whilst flying, happened at exactly one hour into a flight. Today I loaded up the sim and just left it running in the desktop (windowed) on the main menu page. At exactly 1 hour, it crashed. That’s without me touching anything, I just left the PC sitting in the background with the menu running, doing other things with the flight sim music in the background. I noticed the music fell silent, noted the clock, exactly 1 hour had passed since I started the sim.

So why on earth would the sim just close at an hour???