Crash to desktop without error message

@Gsx31 update me of your experiences after the last update, what has changed? the problem persists, did you perform any configuration on your machine?

WU4 released yesterday so I gave it a try, albeit not as extensive as I would like to (mainly due to superslow download speeds as it’d rarely go over 6-7 Mbps).

Didn’t have a CTD with C152, the same with C172 G1000 but most importantly I also didn’t have any issues with CJ4 WT (which threw a CTD every single time I tried it in the last week). Flew around 20-30 minutes with each, almost always the CTDs happen before that but I’ve also seen one in CJ4 after 2 hours.

Can’t verify if it’s WU4 alone, because in the meantime a few more things got updated as well (from Windows 10 KB5001330 yesterday to a few MS Store apps). After all WU4 didn’t include any anti-CTD improvements in its changelog. I’ll try a full 2-hour flight today with CJ4 WT with all apps running (LNM, Navigraph, vPilot etc).

ps: however I should note that CJ4’s performance was a bit lacking, as there was some random heavy stutering at some points plus average fps were significantly worse compared to C152 despite lowering display refresh rate to Low (a known workaround for CJ4). I’ll do more tests later but for me the important part is that I didn’t have a CTD. Hopefully it’ll stay this way.

@Zeppos are you flying with AI traffic on or off?

About 1h into a flight, FS2020 just quits. No error messages - just straight out to windows.
Flying with FSUIP7 so I can connect my Ipad to the sim.

Anyone els having issues?

AI traffic has been off for several months now (way before my CTDs began), first because my old PC setup couldn’t handle this due to performance impact, second because it allegedly causes CTDs (so for some reason some people in the community find it an acceptable solution to disable one of the most marketed features of the sim) and most importantly because ever since I was introduced to VATSIM, I don’t want to fly offline.

Just had a CTD, roughly 1.5 hours into the flight, was around 50nm away from EHAM.
AI/real traffic is off, only multiplayer (and ground aircraft) enabled. Had a lot of other multiplayer aircraft around me the whole time (group flight).
All the time no issues whatsoever before the CTD. Did not touch the sim at all since I was flying on AP on a straight route. Did not use ATC on the flight.

Unfortunately the CAB-File-GUID is 0…

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600XT
16GB RAM 3200Mhz
RTX 2080 8GB

Had monitoring running, no spikes in temperature or anything.
Such CTDs started for me with SU3, it seems to happen when getting closer to major airports (had this happen approaching EDDF as well).

Mods:
JustFlight PA28R
GNS530 mod

Settings:
1080p, Ultra, Render Scaling to 130%
Rolling Cache on SSD with default size of 8GB

Here’s where the CTD happened with a distance measure from EHAM:

I guess I’ll disable ground aircraft entirely to make sure their loading doesn’t cause the issues. Other than that I have no idea what could be the reason.

Had a similar CTD with 1.14.6.0 when approaching EDDF (same settings as stated above).

In the upper red circle I had the CTD (heading south). When retrying the flight all went well.
On the way back I checked at which distance the sim generates the ground aircraft flying the same altitude (red circle around aircraft icon) and I noticed that it’s the same distance I got the CTD on the first flight (blue arrows).

It’s just a hint, but I think there might be some issue with aircraft model loading.
We already had other bugs caused by AI aircraft models in October or so (which caused some weird camera bug) and also there were already issues with AI traffic that did not properly despawn. Such effects would explain why it is usually happening some time into the flight and not at spawn.
Also it would explain the difference if people are affected or not since the ground aircraft slider is probably set different for each of us.
Will now fly without ground aircraft to see if that helps…

@Zeppos, again I would like to remind you that AI traffic is NOT live traffic. Please help me understand why AI traffic is continuously confused with having real traffic populating the sky?
AI traffic is simply a filler. I cannot understand why it was even included when Live traffic is available.

would like ask about your pagefile setting ( windows virtual memory ).

Setting on “system managed” is very often the reason and needs a manully increasment:

Recommended in meanhwile at least MAX value of 20GIG , better 30GIG.

Have you used slew / time acceration ?

I don’t want to speak too soon but the latest WU “may” have sorted out the slew of CTDs I have been experiencing since the last hotfix in March. I flew the problem flight between Barcelona and Ibiza using a Navigraph flight plan and touched down with no issue. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be an anomaly.

1 Like

Yeah OK that’s a good point. As I’ve effectively never used any of these generated traffics in MSFS (either AI or live or whatever) I sometimes forget which is which. Nowadays I have them all off (multiplayer and Azure voices included) but it didn’t help me one bit with the CTDs I was having in the past 3 weeks. Let’s hope WU4 did the trick, will try again in a few hours so fingers crossed. My point was that it’s not ideal to turn off game features several months after its launch in order to prevent CTDs or performance issues.

1 Like

That was too good to be true apparently, as CJ4 WT keeps crashing with both 0x…005 and vcruntime140 errors, about 5 to 20 minutes into the flight. Again the driver timeout error that precedes MSFS CTD.

update: no problems after 2 hours of happy flying with C172 (the non-G1000 version) with lots of apps running in the background. As soon as I landed and returned to main menu, vcruntime140. Oh well. Now to test more aircrafts, mainly with glass cockpits.

16gig nvidia2060 crash in canada but can fly out of France and Australia no crash

Have not experienced any CTD’s untill updating to version 1.15.7.0 this week.

Flew fine over the photogrammaty cities of Paris and Amsterdam, as well as in the Alps. Flying along the French Rivera, had a CTD on approach to Marseille with no error message. Reloaded and flew for a further 45 minutes and had another approaching Cannes. Both in the Carenado Mooney with no warning.

I can reproduce the error on myself. On the IFR route EDDF SOBRA Y180 DIK UN857 NOLSA UN10 GARVU UN857 BANEV LEMD the simulator crashes when I use certain mods, such as 320FBW. Same route with the CRJ, no problems. So I am caught between the responsibilities of the software developer. The open FligthSimulator system is no longer fun for me as a pilot :frowning:

Honestly , ctd after insinde the menu ,
I delete all msfs , and donwload all night 120 go from internet for new installation on big machine essd samsung , all is clean , community is completely empty, cache is delete ,

64 go ram 3090 on last driver nvidia 465.89, 5100 ghz ,

How to explain return on windows without message, without log for see : wath is the problem
Im really angry on asobo if asobo can’t make any log messages, the same,of x-plane if problems

Anyone resolve the situation ? 32h after and no solution
I have unsinstall fsuipc ctd again
Navigraph simlink ctd again
Delete all aircraft ctd again
Clear cash ctd again
Start administrator mode ctd again
Windows update completely. Ctd again

And make offrande to budha ctd again …

The crash in menu comming after maybe 15\20 sec inside,

Strange more stable in full screen mode? , in windowed mode ctd after 10 sec

• No ctd in full screen mode

Solution after loose my time: wait for new patch

Thankfully no CTD with either C172 steam gauges or King Air 350, after flying 2 hours with each. The game will crash with vcruntime140 when I return back to the main menu after landing, but oh well. Also at least one time the entire PC froze between initial loading screens and menu and I had to reset it.

Still seems unstable but it’s better than what it used to be a week ago. Without some proper fixes we’ll never have an end to this sorry situation.

some kind of overclocking ?

Please also check the windows event log and show us an error log entry.

I spoke too soon. Zendesk informed.

2 Likes

I finally gave up. MSFS worked fine when first installed (so no prob with PC specs) standard 1yr old Dell i7 16GB mem Nvida GTX2060 - but after 3 updates CTD every time. Why should I have to fiddle about with so many things to make this product work? Instal took 8 hrs, so don’t want do do that again.
So uninstalled, threw in the bin £145 wasted and now use Xplane which works.

2 Likes

I assume you had need do only one single change, summarized within these topic: Finally.....Solved CTD issues... for those of us with < 32 GB ram , in the FAQ and often mentioned within this one here. But it’s to late now, seems…