Crash to desktop without error message

Me too, after updating to 1.15.7, I got CTD right into the loading screen, tried uninstalling FSUIPC and other stuff, still nothing. Will try to re-download the game again.

1 Like

I just reinstalled windows 10 with a full wipe of my SSD drive and started over from scratch after getting CTD’s immediately after update 3. I haven’t been able to cure the problem the entire time since, having tried every single suggestion through this forum.

So yesterday I fire up my PC for the first time on this new fresh install and setup MSFS, updated accordingly during the installation, with none of my usb devices plugged in at this time, only to have the darn sim crash to desktop from the main menu after just a few minutes of doing nothing at all. I had left it sitting on the main menu deliberately doing nothing and sure enough, as I pour myself a Scotch, boom, CTD!

■■■■ VCRruntime malarkey all over again.

Specs: ASUS Rog Hero XI Mobo, 32Gb DDR4, page file set to 32GB, RTX 2080ti, i7 9700K

Nothing on C drive (M.2) but windows, and MSFS2020, all fully updated and fresh as a daisy, with no addons in the community folder. I didn’t even get as far as downloading the new world content.

This sim is a holy mess and has waisted more than a month. My wife thinks I’m having an affair with the PC. Time to give this nightmare a wide birth and demand a refund from Steam.

3 Likes

My rig (Gigabyte X299, I9-9940, 32GB RAM, RTX2080Ti) had some CTds after this update (and before, but worse). I did manage a few decent flights last evening eventually though. I then updated the SDK and made the ‘big mistake’ of actually trying to use it earlier today. Entered dev-mode and after creating a project it crashed the sim to desktop again.
But get this - it would CTD before finishing loading thereafter and show dev mode during startup. So I couldn’t reach the end of startup to even just kill dev-mode. Unusable then!
It gets worse. I tried in Windows to repair the ‘app’ of Flight Simulator - no effect. So I selected ‘restore’ and accepted the warning that preferences would be lost - OK - expect that - no probs.
But then at restart it began re-installing its entire self. Shocked disbelief doesn’t cover it. No reset of user alterable stuff like we would expect - instead a ‘start all over again’. So if you are ever tempted to do that - don’t ! (No idea how we would get round problems though)

2 Likes

I’ll be honest I’ve got one foot in that camp too. XP11 is still on my pc, ready to rock and roll if I can’t sort out the ctd issue

2 Likes

@Gromit1065

I also learnt the hard way, that having Steam validate flight sim, destroys the content forcing a full download the next time you start the sim, that takes over ten hours to complete, even on fibre!

It’s a very unfunny joke!

2 Likes

there is nothing more frustrating than doing this whole process and the problem still persists, the reality is that the game itself should not be talking to some video cards, and they must be in that game adapt to one hardware and break to another , I am a software developer and I know how it is, I still have CTD problems even during the installation of the game hahaha, I leave this in the hands of Microsoft, it’s up to them to make this correction.

3 Likes

Hello , try to check if all plane inside you official repertory, no inside community, but inside the repertory official is updated ,

Rename community folder
Clean cache

And launch msfs

For,my i resolv with full update , and install again inside msfs in store my planes
I play with good fps last driver and xtal 8k 100% resolutions xtal and 100% in game :))
It is absolutely insane in vr 5100 ghz 64go 3090 oc +140 gpu

And 28 fps on tour effel Paris in Vr Xtal experience !!
All is reading inside the cockpit in vr , no blur

At night after update, i m little sad for the low resolution for the clouds , the colour its no good ,
hight in my config , , good in days but bad in night in vr

Can anyone think of another professional software product that requires you to wipe your HD, reinstall your operating system and spend 10+ hrs to POSSIBLY make it work - such a joke (on us for buying it).

5 Likes

it is impossible to fly over the north west of France, near Le Mans, Rennes, Angers, Nantes…always Have CTD, loading flight…flying…etc

2 Likes

CTD orgy yesterday night. I finally got my Honeycomb Bravo after 4 months of waiting (6+ if you count the Amazon order that was cancelled) but instead of being excited I was merely trying to convince MSFS to launch.

5 vcruntime140 CTDs in a row immediately upon reaching main menu, but eventually the usual workarounds (Windows restart, flying in Xplane for a few minutes) did the trick and I managed to fly with B350 and C172 for about an hour or so. Then I tried to test the latest CJ4 WT version (0.12.1) and CTD’ed within 5 minutes.

So doesn’t look like I’ve made any progress or that WU4 made any difference. I just have to get lucky to load a flight with default aircrafts such as C152/172, B350 etc and then MSFS will be stable for the duration of the flight. More patience needed…

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve had it set to manually fixed 50GB size, should not be the culprit.
Also there would be a dedicated message in the eventviewer if I ran out of memory (had this happen on system managed last year, whereafter I set it to manual size.

Neither of them. Starting cold&dark and simply flew the regular flight.

I’ll watch now if disabling everything regarding AI/autogen vehicles/aircraft on the ground (only multiplayer) helps.
I basically can say that they aren’t hardware related issues. Power draw, temperatures etc. are fine and since it runs well for over an hour before CTD, it probably is something software related.

Now flying with the stock G58 and WT G1000, let’s see if it might be related to my fav aircraft (JF PA28R) since it uses WASM, which seems to be reason for some issues lately anyhow.

1 Like

Well its going to be a long time before I use Dev mode again - even to check framerates. And definitely never app management and ‘reset’. Not only did the sim ‘need’ without warning to reinstall (9hrs) - see my last 2 posts - but it also deleted - yes deleted all in Community and wants to install everything in content manager again.
I watched as it installed every part of the sim as was at first release, then every update since !!

It should only download the very latest update that is available, for both the sim, and items you already own via the Marketplace. It shouldn’t download version 1.1, then 1.2 etc.

1 Like

It also shouldn’t require my 6800XT to run full tilt for hours to install the bloody thing, but it does because Asobo don’t really seem to know what they’re doing.

3 Likes

And here i thought it was the latest Fly-by-Wire update of A32NX that made my MSFS CTD. So as far as i understood, almost everyone has CTD, is there any know any fix or just wait for the update?

1 Like

There are about three dozen different workarounds out there, official or not.

Apart from a very few well documented cases (eg. 16GB RAM benefitting from big pagefiles set manually, known custom addons causing consistent CTDs) , I believe everything else is down to pure luck as the sim can crash for lots of different reasons and it’s nigh impossible to distinguish between them.

So most are simply waiting for an update.

3 Likes

yes… should be fine. The dedicated exact error message comes sometime, but not allways… therefore in meanwhile my first question is about the memory setting. Also for users which own 32GIG and often have a 4GIG setting, or similar. The memory managment need to be optimized a bit.

If all possible error-reason eliminated, may be there is reason with the mod which cause it… and don’t forget you check whether the CTD happens at same location, there are also map-issues ( rare, but exist ). In error message is nothing about coherent* or other kind of dll mentioned ?

For now I had also with 1.15… no CTD… stuttering in the “difficult areas” (e.g. lfpg), but beside of this all is fine. I have all AI- whatever stuff enabled, only Text2Speach is since ages on WindowsOffline ( but you said about no ATC ). Today I will try whether the H135 mod works fine… may be I fly around eham :slight_smile:

If you are still having CTDs with only a fresh install of Windows and MSFS, sounds like something in the fresh install is causing the CTDs since every other possible cause has been eliminated.

It’s hard to tell. Today I was flying the G58 with the WT G1000 mod and had no CTD even after ~3 hours. Not sure if the change of the aircraft/systems or the deactivation of all the traffic actually helped here.

Instead, I had immense stutters at one airport and others who participated on the group flight experienced the same (at LOWI on the ground, every 1-2 sec a stutter where GPU graph showed negative spikes up to 140ms, usually running at 20ms). Exiting to the main menu and jumping back in and all was fine again for me.
But stutters are not the topic here, so I’ll see if flying the JF PA28R again will bring back a CTD. I also had flights without issues on it so I think it’s rather something scenery/traffic/weather specific instead of aircraft/avionics specific.

Or a hardware issue. Overclocks are often cited as a reason for this.

1 Like