Crash to desktop without error message

Hello TodeX33,

… meanwhile, after rebooting my Windows … I`m again stucking in this issue … crash to Desktop.
Even, deleting and updating the very last folder - my suggested workaround, didn´t work out well!

… so we are all sitting, in the same boat - again …

Maybe there is something going on, with my Windows and the drivers … I cannot explain!

MICROSOFT release a hotfix ffs

I’m one of the lucky ones. I got it working. I’ve read this thread and thought I’d (try) recapping some of the steps that worked

First one which seemed to fix for most people was the page file fix. If you haven’t done this then look for it above

There are issues with the sim crashing when any peripherals lose connection or regain connection while the software is running. Whether that be an Xbox controller or a Bluetooth keyboard. (I take the batteries out of my Bluetooth keyboard and use a wired one - that’s been the big thing for me). We’ve even see people have issues with usb hubs as sometimes the voltages going to peripherals isn’t enough to power them.

Another thing to try would be to run the sim with everything off. Low graphics. No online capability. No caching. If it crashes when your sim is in that state - it’s nothing in the settings. A quick way to identify what isn’t the cause.

And the final thing I can remember is if CTD is happening on the load screen. Look for the comment way above suggesting deleting a small file. The sim on launch checks for updates and when it finds a missing file it redownloads it and people have had success with that.

I’m more than happy to be corrected on any of the above and welcome comments for anything I’ve missed.

Please persevere as I have to tell you. This simulator is one of the most spectacular pieces of software I’ve ever seen. Yes it’s buggy and it shouldn’t be our jobs to fix it. But a lot of us have been able to find work arounds. Fingers crossed for the Thursday patch to fix all this.

Good luck

2 Likes

Random crashes for me as well. Normally my PC is rock solid…

I’m happy for everyone who finds a (temporary) solution and can play the game.
Nothing worked for me tough. And as I installed it on a fresh copy of Windows with no overclocking and most recent drivers for all components I wouldn’t know what else to try.
Unfortunately it’s weekend so I doubt we will see any support coming from the devs the next days (besides they stated a patch (of which we don’t know if it helps with our problem) is due earliest for the 27th.
I’m utterly disappointed from MS and Asobo but will stop ruining my weekend now trying to find a solution that doesn’t seem to exist.

There will be a PATCH on Tuesday? Fingers crossed!

Moments before every CTD my Event Viewer logged a Warning of Low Virtual Memory (16gb with system managed pagefile) and listed the biggest users of it. This list included Defender which of course (Doh!) checks everything we download - and we’re streaming gazzilions of scenery files! Exempted the MSFS folder from virus scanning and the CTD’s stopped happening.

YMMV of course but do check for Warnings in Event Viewer.

In desperation. Reinstalled the system, updated the drivers etc, installed the sim. CTD are the same. Any graphical settings, subject to the change of day, if you move the slider in different directions and change the weather, CTD is guaranteed. Tested from the early days of the alpha, it was also, I thought it was a feature of the alpha, but now it continues in the release. Therefore, I doubt that this will be decided in the near future.

I found a soloution for my CTD problem.
Just removed the USB-Bluetooth-Dongle for my wireless desktop and connected a cabel based mouse and keyboard. Since then no more crashes for hours! :slight_smile:

Same resoloution works on my second PC AMD Ryzen 3950X.

Conclusion: Try to remove every USB Device you don’t need for gaming.

No that is not the case. I and many others have this issue on steam version.

1 Like

Same overhere,

Crashes during flight; sometimes after 15 minutes and sometimes after 30 minutes.
CPU intel 6700K
GPU 1080
installed on HDD ( second drive )
Latest Nvidia drivers and katest windows 10.

Changed wire keyboard to a wired keyboard.
Hotas T-flight X

Removing the USB-Bluetooth-Dongle for my wireless Microsoft Desktop and changing to cabel based keyboard and mouse solved my CTD problem as well! :grin:

THANKS Seth8086 !!!

1 Like

Ok so I think I’ve essentially solved my CTD issues. I was getting the occasional random crashes during flights, not on the menus which I know others are struggling with. One of the issues I had was Keflavik airport where it was continually crashing on approach. Turns out that airport is bugged and is now listed as a known fault.

The main driver of crashes that I have had is my wireless xbox controller. This frequently (but not every time) caused a CTD without error message when switching it on (pressing the xbox button on it) whilst in flight. I often do this to control the drone camera which is awesome when using the controller by the way. Usually the xbox controller switches off if not used for a few minutes, and of course this happens a lot when flying over long distances. However, I’ve so far found that if I hit ESC to the pause menu and then switch on the controller, the game doesn’t crash and then I can press ESC again and all is good. This may work for other Bluetooth or USB peripherals, but I’ve not tested this.

I’ve messed about with the page file but haven’t been able to tell is there is any real impact from this. For now I’ve left it at " system selected size" for both the C (OS) drive and my separate SSD drive where I have both the game and the rolling cache file stored.

Specs for info:

i9 10900K
EVGA RTX 2080 super 8Gb
32Gb 3200 MHz RAM
Windows 10 build 2004
OS on C drive, M.2 drive
Game installed on separate SSD
Rolling cache on same drive as game and set at 250Gb

I’m running on ultra everything with live weather, live traffic but not multiplayer, and get 45-60 fps most if the time, 40-50 in cities. I do get occsssional 0.5 seconds or so stutters, but only when rapidly panning around the drone cam, so I think this must be scenery loading in.

Re the rolling cache, there is a file in there which is 250Gb in size, but the download usage only shows 8Gb at the moment. I’m assuming the giant file in some way reserves the disk space.

I also haven’t tried disabling bluetooth or anything.

Fingers crossed this continues. Enjoying my circumnavigation of the world in the TBM. I’m no expert, but the IFR and autopilot systems seem to work fine as far as I can tell.

I’m posting screenshot and progress over in the screenshot thread if you are interested. Views are incredible!

Yeah brother, no idea why it worked for several of us and then didn’t. I’m still playing with it, but not much hope. Thanks again for sharing your experience. It could help with a permanent fix.

Yes, I have the Xbox Game Pass/Windows Store version installed. I don’t have any experience with the Steam version. I have the R Click option from the Start Menu so this may still work for Steam apps that are listed on the start menu?

It could help provided devs take a look inside this thread which someone said they wouldn’t…

1 Like

Anyone else havingodd water textures on and off Most of me CTD are when near waterbody or approaching for landing

So I’ve been having this issue since it was released, even while trying to install the game, while downloading it’d randomly crash to desktop.

Tried absolutely everything listed in here and nothing worked.

So far though, a few hours without a single crash, and all I did was turn off my wireless mouse and used a wired mouse.

The mouse is a Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, and was running through bluetooth. Still using my logitech wireless keyboard through bluetooth, so it’s not a bluetooth issue.

Also, I didn’t have any extra Razer software installed, so not sure if this would make an issue or not. All other drivers and windows are absolutely up to date.

Hope this helps someone else!

1 Like

Where is the file?