Crash to desktop without error message

Unfortunately not in each case because not all applications creates the same “kind of system load” and also most of these so called stress-test-tools test the components step by step. In special (flight)simmers needs a good PSU because there PC is often hours of hours in full load and this must can handle the PSU without any kind of “irregularities”. I assume 850W is sufficent for ryzen 5 5600x + 6800xt.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 1200W Gold PSU. Most likely overkill, but at least I can rule out the PSC as culprit for CDT’s from now on :slight_smile:

Massive sim update tomorrow, just sayin!
( get ready to cancel your order)

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment.

I’ve been developing software for long enough to know that when you can reproduce a crash at the exact same place, with the exact same parameters (stack), chances are it’s not your hardware.

Again, MSFS does crash for many reasons and about 5% to 10% of my crashes have different causes. But the remaining 90% are cause by the weak code in the Renoir library. It’s a memcpy call. Cannot be simpler.

I’m anxiously waiting for SU5, hoping the major code changes in there may get rid of this.

About the PC stability, I finished HL : Alyx in VR three times with extremely high settings. This accounts for several tens of hours. And the GPU suffered. It never crashed. Like for anything else on this PC. End of comment about stability.

If you had anything decent before (750W+), not a chance it fixes it. Sorry.

It’s not only the wattage that’s important. Look at what power effeciency rating your psu has (80+ white, 80+ bronze, 80+ gold, 80+ platinum) I’d always suggest going for a psu with the gold rating of above or at the very least bronze. Psu’s without such rating can be a huge liability and actually cause full system crashes when they can’t handle a spike in power draw. Even if it’s a 750W+ psu.

I don’t want to hear this!!! :slight_smile:

My present PSU is 850W, also Gold. Once I managed to install the new PSU, the old one will go on Ebay (to somewhat cushion the financial blow)

What GPU do you have?

here we have it: VR … we had the reports that users run into issues after installing VR stuff ( mentioned already in vcr…dll thread ). May be this is the common-thing in case users see the Renoiur_… dll error…

No surprise here. It was always clear that VR users tend to have more issues.
MSFS in VR requires close to twice the horsepower required for a monitor.

Chances are that if you have any underlying code issues, it may increase their appearance.

Interested to see how you get on I’ve got a EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W and CTD the only things I haven’t changed is the PSU & Case

Asus Strix RTX 3090 and an I9 10900K…

There is mass CTD’s on Xbox aswell (just a reminder the console is made by Microsoft, game made by Microsoft running on system made by Microsoft) they clearly haven’t figured out anything about the issue still after almost a year it’s just shocking.

1 Like

Sorry to say, but an 850W power supply should have been enough. If you didn’t do any overclocking that is. But a 1200W psu will give you way more headroom. Also be sure to plug all the sata power connectors on your GPU with their own individual cable and don’t use those second headers. Using all separate cables should provide a cleaner power delivery and stability :wink:

Sshh, we can’t speak of that. How’s that PSU of yours though? Strong enough?

Thanks for these tips, duly noted!

1 Like

This makes no sense.
Contrary to the PC, the hardware is fixed and therefore, a crash is close to the simplest thing to fix as they can track it with the debugger and BAM!, there you have the culprit.

I bet it’s the Renoir library :wink: (<-- joke)

I meant that users with installing the VR drivers/software reporting suddenly issues in 2D too.

How can there mass CTD’s on xBox…the game hasn’t been released yet?

Getting so tired of these all the time, it makes it impossible to enjoy the simulation. I have a great rig and no addons, CTD pretty much every time I use the game now.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60c0b1e3
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60c0b1e3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000003dfd210
Faulting process id: 0x14c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d782878b1cd6fd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.17.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.17.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: a35b82ac-5d4a-4675-bd4f-430caa9944b3
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.17.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App