Crash to desktop without error message

Yea im going to go pickup 16gb more. Im thinking turning my settings down will use less RAM. Do you think turning things off like photogrammetry will use less RAM?

1 Like

Same here did we get a fix for this as yet.

I have not been able to even try a flight … cant pass the menu.

oes anyone have an update that I can use to even see the menu in the SIM without crashing to desktop ?

I am i7 9700K / 32GB /2070Super and running it on M.2 so really this is just driving me crazy.

I searched the internet and it seems that this is all over with many users seeing the issues.

Does anyone know if there is an update somewhere?

Error below:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f2ed221
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f2ed221
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000013d8522
Faulting process id: 0x44b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d679bc7c142786
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 1cca1871-5c1e-49a2-a7ac-b508c8992fad
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

This totally makes sense! I was always getting CTDs at the Cessna loading screen and now I disabled the Nvidia graphics card and I managed to get past the Cessna loading screen! We found the culprit for some of the problem, too bad we don’t have the solution because the integrated graphics will never run this lol

agreed… i do not see why thousands of users who spent their hard earned money buying this game should go try fixing their expensive builds to fix a broken game. MS please… do better !!!

2 Likes

I think I fixed my frequent crashes. I have 8GB RAM and it used to crash when loading the Diamond 40 NG on Low, but now I seem able to load it even on Medium.

Here are all the things I did:

• Uninstalled Visual C++ 2015 libraries and rebooted, then re-installed them from the Microsoft website (both 86x and 64x)

• Checked and downloaded all available updates in Microsoft Store and Windows Updates

• Microsoft Store was giving me failed updates on Visual C++ libraries, re-downloaded them in this order: 2012, 2013, 2015, DirectX (these errors still popped up after I fixed the crashes)

• Re-enabled several Windows services that I previously disabled (too many to count, just reset any changes you made there)

• Created virtual memory page files on both C: and D: (where the game is installed), fixed size, 4GB to 8GB

• In Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, unchecked the “Allow this computer to turn off this device …”

• Unplugged my webcam and 2 secondary monitors

• In Settings -> Apps & Features, Flight Simulator -> Advanced Options, clicked Repair then Reset (this deleted my 91GB download so I uninstalled the whole game here and deleted game folders I could find)

• Went to Microsoft Store and download the game again (the initial installer)

• Launched the game from the start menu as Administrator

• I let the game download the 91GB and this time it didn’t hang or crash (like it did the first time), make sure you close other programs because you need all the RAM around the 15-16GB and 87GB to decompress very large files

• In Nvidia control panel I restricted Flight Simulator to run at 30FPS and selected Adaptive vsync (half refresh)

• Launch the game as Administrator

And that’s it. I flew for about 1.5 hours in the DA40 around a big city and was able to load and zoom out the VFR map without crash when the RAM usage was spiking during loading the flight. After about 2-3 minutes of loading the flight the RAM usage decreased. I was also able to load the flight on Medium settings on my low-spec PC (i7-4790T, GTX 1050Ti, 8GB RAM). FPS is fixed at 30 especially in non-dense areas.

I really hope this helps other people.

1 Like

I tried that and still crashed in bigger airports/cities…only thing that worked was low settings

1 Like

hopefully they come out with some patches quick. I love this game already, but the crashes just ruin it.

4 Likes

This worked for me - just completed a 30 minute flight in the CJ5 from KPRC (Prescott, AZ) to KLAS (Las Vegas) at 2560x1440 Ultra with no issues. Previously I couldn’t do that flight in a 172 on low settings.

Virtual Memory Settings Here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-crash-to-desktop-issue-resolved-virtual-memory/203254?u=defenderaz

I’m curious how many people have 16Gb (or less) of RAM like I currently do.

1 Like

My win account name Included “ä” so game created new folder in c:/users. When i created new account without “ä” it worked.

This let me fly in rural areas on high settings for around 50 minutes!

msfs don’t work with nv v-sync parameters, only with fps lock

I found the solution for my CTD issue. I did all the steps Microsoft send in the Mail but it did not help. Then I started my own trial and error series.
For me the issue was my printer and scanner. They specfied USB issues in the Mail, but I didn’t think that Flight Simulator might mistake a printer or scanner for a controller.
I even increased the quality from high to ultra without a problem.
My printer is a Samsung M2620 and my scanner is a Canon CanoScan LiDE 300

1 Like

I also had permanent crashes. After I disconnected any periphery runs.
So disconnect ALL USB devices except what you really need.
On weaker PCs also definitely turn vSYNC off and go to 30 FPS.

Thanks Xandonis. Please let us know if you find the solution. (Dear Other readers: Xandonis and I were experiencing a CTD at the Cessna loading screen, but disabling the NVIDIA display adapter in the Device Manager then allows the game to load just using the Internet Intel GPU, but very slowly. Also found that the intro video runs more smoothly with the NVIDIA off).

Thanks for your post, but it is really hard to read due to lack of punctuation/sentences. Not sure if you can edit to improve readability? Thanks

1 Like

Great Post, thank you. However, adding another 8Gb of RAM would definitely make a big improvement to your PC performance, not just MSFS, and isn’t too expensive. Worth you considering I think.

Seems I’m lucky. I have an under powered machine (AMD FX-8300) but it works fine with a lot of planes. I just get the dreaded “has stopped working” message when I exit the game. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Loading times are a different story…

Hey everyone I know there’s been heaps of possible fixes for this. It happened to me today too. After numerous attempts and frustrations it was my gigabyte aorus 1080ti which was in OC mode in the aorus desktop software. Just went in and changed it back to silent mode. 2 flights so far over 1 hour and no issues. Previous attempts would crash in no more than 5-10 minutes. It happened around 20 times in a row until the fix. Hope this helps a few of you…

i think it will almost impossible to make my english worst, but if i will try to make something better, it’s obviously will lol

Two more guys reported the same behavior by disabling the NVIDIA card: nicola3103 and talessilva552.

Here are some workarounds that I tried last night but none of them worked:

• I updated my Intel onboard card drivers (I was using a 2 yr old driver and I didn’t even know it was possible to update them)
  • Entering the game via the onboard card, I tried to change the graphics settings (V-sync on/off, Maximum FPS 20/30, Screen resolution, Graphics Low to High, Anti aliasing on/off, etc.)
  • Some users on Reddit suggested to make a clean install on the NVIDIA drivers using a software named “Display Driver Uninstaller”. You need to reboot Windows, enter on safe mode, remove the drivers, reboot again and install the last NVIDIA driver. No luck for me.
  • Also, after all this I completely downloaded and reinstalled the FS2020.