Crash to desktop without error message

Just wanted to circle back and update on the zendesk ticket I submitted. I have to say, I am quite disappointed.

Despite taking the time to open a ticket with a good, detailed description of the unexpected behavior – and the steps to reproduce the crash to desktop and included a link to a video and that I validated the issue on multiple PCs – they marked the ticket as “resolved” by sending a form email.

As you can guess, the form email was a set of steps that are focused on troubleshooting your end and your PC. Very disheartening, and it appears that they are likely using bots instead of people to review/triage tickets.

Kind of felt like being on a phone call with an automated system and you just want to scream “REPRESENTATIVE!”

To be fair though, since I have been avoiding the functionality that I know will trigger a CTD, I have not had any other CTDs.

In the spirit of helping others avoid CTDs, here is what I found will trigger a CTD:

In the Cessna 172 with the G1000, using the FMC to manage procedures. Specifically, when you enter and activate an approach procedure you may notice that a USER waypoint is inserted to transition you to the IAF – instead of taking a direct route to the IAF. This is a bug in itself, because that is not how it should work. Furthermore, I have seen it where this USER waypoint and path it creates can take you 80 miles out of the way.

If you try to use the FMC to manage the waypoints in that approach, and specifically to try to delete that USER waypoint, it will delete the entire flight plan. Also, a bug and unexpected behavior.

Finally, when you try to recreate your flight plan by entering your destination airport, and then going to “procedures” and trying to pick and activate an approach, nothing happens. Likley, you will retry it a few times hoping it will decide to work. LOL.

But t won’t. However, when you back out of that you may notice the option to “Activate approach” is not greyed out, and that leads you to believe maybe it did work.

But no, when you highlight that option and click the “ENTER” button, it will CTD the sim.

This is reproducible across multiple systems for me, and I would bet for all. There are at least 3 unexpected behaviors in what I just described. Even if it didn’t lead to a CTD, it makes IFR unusable and should be a bug report worthy of action by a human being.

Just a speculation - I think there is a good chance that the above is not limited to the C172 aircraft. Probably any aircraft with the G1000 is affected. So the moral of the story is use the FMC to manage procedures with caution.

To be fair, yes I am sure that CTDs can be caused by many things, and yes I am sure that there are cases where CTD is a result of GPU driver bugs, old GPU drivers, audio middleware bugs, unstable overclock, etc.

But sometimes it is a programming error as well. I am confident that the CTD I have described above is because of programming errors.

Like they say, you can try to lead the horse to water, but you just can’t make it drink.

2 Likes

Yes totally agree with upgrading RAM to 16GB, but I’m planning a new build in the next couple of months so I can survive until then.

Helpful post, thank you. Although I don’t get CTDs, I can confirm that a lot of this behavious is replicated int he TBM 930. Specifically:

A USER waypoint is often add when using a procedure (I think every time, but I can’t be sure). This user waypoint is usually sufficiently far away that I can’t zoom out the Garmin far enough to be able to see it on the map - but it is usually in the opposite direction to the airport for some reason. I can’t find a way of deleting that waypoint (or any other waypoint) - only the option to delete the whole flight plan.

It does look like I can delete the whole flight plan and re-add the destination plus procedure…but with the USER waypoint again. It doesn’t CTD for me though. Also I can’t find a way to refile the new plan with ATC - they still think I’m following the old IFR Plan.

Makes like difficult!

EDIT: Just checked, and adding the airport as a new waypoint at the end of the flightplan causes the CTD as you say

Wired keyboard and mouse did not work for me.

you can try so many things.
Probably the best option is just to wait until Microsoft has bugfixes and updates.
Feel lucky that you were able to fly some minutes.

I never experienced any software that crashed without notice just because maybe an USB device like a headphone or whatever goes to sleep.
I never ever had to disable bluetooth devices for having a software to work.

2 Likes

I had been experiencing crashes during the Cessna loading screen (just 3 times the game loaded the main menu and crashed after). I tried to disable the NVIDIA card and use the Intel card. It’s not crashing anymore, the intro video is running better, but the game is incredible slow.

Many of us are experiencing this exact thing (disabling the NVIDIA or Radeon Display Adapter in the Windows Device Manager is only way to get past the Cessna loading screen). Please log a ZenDesk and hopefully MS will add it to their list of priorites for the next patch.

1 Like

I summit a ticket saturday and i didn’t received an answer. Not even an automatic one. I think they are just ignoring the serious issues. I saw in another post forum mediators trying to help some people, but they are ignoring this thread. I send the link of this page to the mediator that i saw yesterday, but he didn’t bother to come here.

same, I think they are just ignoring our problems cuz it isnt even on known issues page

2 Likes

I run a technical support team for a living… I wouldn’t dream of flat out ignoring paid customers for DAYS without even so much as an announcement. Terrible customer service. I haven’t had a response in nearly 6 days.

4 Likes

Up and running like a dream!

Previously:

Only ran on medium & low settings. Any modification CTD as soon as you tried to load training, flight etc. Would get to about 80% blue bar then CTD

NOW:

well after setting virtual memory to auto sytem managed all drives, and win 10 to game mode and removing any overclocking tools provided by gigabyte or Nvidia. I tried a flight along Aus cost for 4 x 1/2 flights airport hopping ( Morabbin to Mallacouta) in an icon a5.
(No software re install of anything!)

Was sent in medium mode grahics as that’s All I could get going prior to setting change

Was performing well. I them tempted fate and gradually change some of the settings from medium to high. No crash. Hmm do I tempt fate. I then tied full high setting flight - no crash. Wait a bit , tried Ultra. A big from drop for a few seconds in frame rate an then WOW friggin awsome. no CTD. Graphics wow, smooht as flight, movment, camera !!!

I then started task manager. In flight was CPU 50% GPU 65%, memory use 3.6G, network 2.4 to 3.5 mbps

Paused via ESC

In menu static page strangely CPU 44%,GPU 86% mem 3.9 network .1

System i7 4770k 16gb mem, Gygabyte z78x ,video card asus 2070 8gb
OS win 10 2004 release.

No re install of software or reset. Ia as it was when I downloaded from MS store at midnight AU on the 18th.

MS may have done something a their end

I think I have the same issue. I noticed my Saitek Radio panel was flicking off and on, and now I have unplugged my Powered USB hub, so will test to see if that works

I cant fly without a program crash… last error report look like this: Kjelde
bad_module_info

Samandrag
Sluttet å virke

Dato
‎25.‎08.‎2020 18:56

Status
Rapport sendt

Skildring
Bane til programmet med feil: bad_module_info

Problemsignatur
Namn på problemhending: MoAppCrash
Fullstendig navn på pakke: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Appnavn: praid:App
Programversjon: 0.0.0.0
Tidsstempel for program: 00000000
Navn på feilmodul: StackHash_0e8e
Feilmodulversjon: 0.0.0.0
Tidsstempel for feilmodul: 00000000
Unntakskode: c0000005
Unntaksforskyvning: PCH_28_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009C914
OS-versjon: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101
ID for nasjonal innstilling: 1044
Tilleggsinformasjon 1: 0e8e
Tilleggsinformasjon 2: 0e8e0bf1a5ef603976b025864a1e1bb1
Tilleggsinformasjon 3: 9840
Tilleggsinformasjon 4: 98409f00f3b80bb5fcb8c30b47a12329

Ekstra informasjon om problemet
Minneområde-ID: 88bfefe4fa2409ca6d487a0aba6a46a4 (2110070611918866084)

My sim HATES not being fullscreen. There’s like a 90% chance of it going CTD while in windowed, and more of a 10-20% chance in fullscreen. The windowed mode should be patched.

Hi, another user suggested that the CTD at the cessna loading screen (only occurs if the Nvidia display adapter is on), maybe caused by your Microsoft Online account not recognising the Nvida under the graphics card details for the device you are using (in the device tab on the web account). This is true for me (my microsoft online account just shows the Intel GPU under my device). However, I have tried to update this detail in the MS account but am unable to do so.

It would be good to test this theory - could people check their MS online accounts (and see if their correct graphics card is recognised correctly)? If a Nvida card is not recognised in the MS online account for the device, but the game loads fine, then this will at least rule this theory out as a potential cause.

I just was able to fly for 30 minutes. CTD after landing ind EDDL.

So what have I changed before start?
I do not know anymore, most likely I had the same config already with a CTD:
Disabled bitdefender
Deleted a small folder in Official/OneStore
Run as admin

I was able to get it to the config window.
Changed rollingcache to 16GB
Changed some settings
Did not change aircraft, choosed EDDL.
And it loaded…

After CTD tried to restart - no chance -> CTD

Think CTD is random by chance. Poor programmed or better not finished yet. Still poor for Microsoft.

I’d be surprised if what you see in your MS account has much affect on what the local app uses.

For example, my account shows Intel UHD Graphics 630 (presumably because it knows an i7 8700 contains that gpu), but it’s for sure using my nvidia card. I can see it in the nvidia GPU activity monitor.

So to answer your question, I’m able to load and fly (though it’s buggy and crashes eventually) even though my MS account is displaying the wrong(ish) thing.

[quote=“MailableDog457, post:484, topic:130085, full:true”]I bet no one with 32gb is getting kicked our KMCO…that’s my theory.
[/quote]
I did. Also got CTD at KORD and KISM. Sometimes it happens on approach, landing, or anywhere in between. i5 8600K, 32GB, RTX2070 8GB, M.2 drive.

I don’t think that is the issue because on my MS account i have my 1070 GPU listed as it should and I never had been able to get to the main menu. BTW, today about 6 hours ago i finally got a feedback from the support but that was horrible. I said that I already tried everthing on the troubleshoting and they resend me the list. They didn’t even see that i have already sent the error log.

It is just a theory, but the game uses AVX on CPU!
I think some CPU´s here had a bad offset for AVX…

Maybe this helps someone