Crash to desktop without error message

Fxdaddio

They better fix this crud soon as there are many unhappy customers right now.

4 Likes

this sounds not like a CTD , more like a BSOD and because the monitor signals gone, like a gpu issue. But as allways, hard to say. You get a log message in windows event viewer ?

There’s an official list avilable of possible incompatibilities and precautions to take but in your shoes the first thing I’d try is to unplug one of the monitors and disable any 3rd party software driving it

There is a problem with this simulator and USB peripherals for me. I have discovered that moving my Saitek Trim Wheel while the simulator is loading will cause a CTD. I have found that just before I press the ‘FLY’ button, if I toggle my trim wheel, (and all my controls) I no longer get a pause on the first use and I no longer get a CTD.

Charles.

Well to everything I already tried, you can add "convert the drive its installed on to NTFS to the list.

This is CLEARLY a crippled build from Asobo… Its AsoBAD in fact.

1 Like

It’s not clear at all. Have you any overclocks hard or soft because this version of MSFS will find every one of them, possibly even your xmp settings?

I have the same core problems. I ran the sim fine for a few months, seemed to work reliably and predictably with few crashes. It was a beautiful game. Then I had to leave it for a while and when I came back it would not load. No error messages, nothing. I would start the sim, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it would just CTD. I have tried everything, updated Windows OS (for $200), tried to uninstall the sim and reinstall, updated drivers on my graphics card, uninstalled and reinstalled C++, to name just a few things. Nothing changes. Endless CTDs. When you look through the forums on this topic the question I keep coming back to is “why can’t it just run?!?” I have played many video games in my life and I have never felt the level of frustration I feel when it comes to MSFS. Other games just play, but not MSFS. There are 40 step long troubleshooting guides to help the novice flight simmer try to get the game to run. The expense of buying a PC that can handle the graphics plus the peripherals, all the add ons in terms of software, and at the end of the day, it just will not run. I’ve honestly gotten to the point where I want to walk away from it because it is so frustrating. Maybe it is time for a less involved hobby like bomb disposal expert or neurosurgeon. Perhaps I will do a Hitler rant on Youtube about trying to MSFS to run. That might be fun. Sorry for the rant.

1 Like

The CTDs seem to fall into a pattern.

1. CTDs that can be traced to a particular mod and are usually repeatable. For me using the NXi mod saw a significant increase in CTDs. As soon as I unistalled it CTDs becuase very rare. Installed it again after the NXi update, CTDs spiked. Unistalled it again, CTDs dropped off again. The creator of the NXi assures me that it only uses Javascript so could not cause a CTD. So it is likely that it triggers a scenario within MSFS (unrelated to the NXi mod itself) and then a CTD occurs. This type of CTD triggering event may also explain the CTDs in no. 2 below.

2. Random CTDs. These CTDs seem to occur at random times, with random aircraft, in random locations, with or without mods. There is simply no way to identify when they might occur, and they are not repeatable. Could be loading MSFS, or loading a flight, or during a flight, or even when returning to the main menu after a flight. For me they are rare, but only started after SU5 hotifx 2. Which is funny really, since that was supposed to address CTDs.

3. Hardware related CTDs, overheating, overclocking etc. I would have thought that these types of CTDs would not be influenced much by MSFS updates. As SU5 reduced system resources, theoretically we should see fewer of these CTDs since the system load is lower. I would have thought that these types of problems would see Windows fail rather than just MSFS.

Unfortunately all this points to MSFS itself being the culprit in the majority of CTDs. There would seem to be a need for MSFS to have some sort of “unexpected error” handling built in. Either so that it just ignores scenarios it can’t handle or spits out some sort of report that advises what event it encountered that it couldn’t handle.

2 Likes

I miss the MSFS of months ago. Sad.

3 Likes

Agree, but if I went back I would miss the performance improvements I now have. The grass is always greener on the other side.

1 Like

The people are crazy about FlyByWire, ■■■■■.

You need to lookup “Direct Storage”, because at a guess the boost many of us are getting is because of this better data handing and the new imbalances are going to upset many an overclock, possibly including XMP profiles.

Unclocking is on Asobo’s list

My CTD’s were resolved in an inexplicable way. Today I was able to install the current nVidia driver (version 471.68, game ready) and some Windows updates and as a trial I made a one-hour flight from Amsterdam to London in a modified Cessna Citation Longitude, and that without crashes!

Installed addons were:

• Flightsim.to “Cessna Citation Longitude Improvement Mod”
  • “Working Title G3000” and “Working Title G3000 Roaddata” Mod

I also click the “repair”-button in the app-settings:

type “Microsoft Flight Simulator” in the searchbar → right clickapp-settings → scroll down and hit repair

Addendum: I also deleted all content in the Temp folder. This can be found under: C: \ User \ xxxx \ AppData \ Local

I can finally fly again. Unfortunately, the graphics, the photogrammetry (!!!) in the most big cities and the LOD are still not as nice as they were before the Sim update 5. On the other hand, the game runs much more smoothly and with fewer micro-stuttering.

Please keep this game up to date Asobo!

One day later:
I was happy too soon. I was just about to fly another lap from Innsbruck over Mont Blanc to Nice. Less than 30 seconds on the world map and I have a CTD. The game is still unplayable.

Same here, CTD on almost every flight feels like back in fsx again :smiley:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000001d8ecde
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x43d0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d78e8da54082dd
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: e2a906fa-5e6c-4e4f-9729-cb21dd873716
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

I have no overclocking going on on the Ryzen5 system and I have the same exact architecture from July 20 as I do now. The only difference is that FS was updated.

I am guessing that some drivers are not aligned properly. But I have NO clue as to which it could be… BEcause the monitors literally lose signal I assume its the GPU reacting differently than a few weeks ago when all was fine.
I updated to the latest drivers as I said and no go.

In the meantime I also reformatted the drive it was on in NTFS and put it back on and that did nothing…

I do not have any idea where to even begin looking for a failure. I have never had a single issue with FS and now after the update it simply wont even load. If I get to the map screen which happens intermittently, it doesnt take long for the computer to hang again with black screens and no signal to the monitors. EVEN if I just sit there and do nothing.

If you disabled XMP and have no other overclocks, it’s either hardware, a bad use of storage systems or Windows itself depending on what changes have been made to your system (and that includes by any anti virus). Download and run Memtest86 to see that your ram is not misfireing.

Things you might still try
set a not too large rolling cache on the same drive as your install and let windows manage virtual memory also on that drive and if that’s not enough you will still need to have at least 30GB spare capacity just to keep windows from reorganising.
For now you should if possible have Community and Official on that drive but if you have moved them you should view the UserCfg.opt file to check that they are linked.

Bios update, motherboard resources updates, Windows update including optional and if you still have problems a full from scratch Windows install so any data will need backing up to a different drive and unplugged from the system to be safe (not forgetting to ‘write down’ any encryption keys you might need later (usb stick)).

Really that about all I can suggest that hasn’t been already.

Thank you for this tip! I deleted over 150,000 files, about 4 GB.

My situation is the same as MaxxaMTrash.

After installing the NVidia 471.68 (2070Super) drivers, I was able to make a three-hour tour in the simulator (including flights and working with the editor). Which is much longer and better than the 50 flights of 1 minute in the previous two weeks.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a coincidence or a Placebo effect, but let’s hope for the best. (Just in case, I made a few more test flights before I wrote this message).

Well, you already understood everything, right?

The next morning, again flights for one minute :laughing:

By the way, MaxxaMTrash.

Is your situation stabilized? or how is mine?

One day later:
I was happy too soon. I was just about to fly another lap from Innsbruck over Mont Blanc to Nice. Less than 30 seconds on the world map and I have a CTD. The game is still unplayable.

Same issue like @Chuckson892794 and @VioletKnight255
I always get CTD. Everytime the error is the same:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a12757
Faulting process id: 0x6cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78f5591235016
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 07045f34-49b2-4175-81e2-f40c2d722e65
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

1 Like