Crash to desktop without error message

I’m starting to get random CTD’s without any messages using the steam version. It started after the last little update(s) over the weekend that were a few kbs or mbs in size but no in-game update when it checks for updates while loading. There was a nvidia drivers update that was working fine before this but to make sure I rolled them back and still encountered crashes. I even removed the two aircraft mods I have and still crashes with the default aircraft. There’s no sign of a crash, like stuttering or anything, just poof, back to the desktop.

Followup; CTD occurred in spite of SAM feature (rBAR, resizable bar) disabled:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.13.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.13.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000102390b
Faulting process id: 0x3b04
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ead5134ddcd8
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 498aede7-7dad-4fe3-8bf1-e2e5ae49b1cb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Update (20-12-2021):

I stabilized my RAM and since then I had zero CTD. Try to look into your system stability, RAM, GPU, CPU. Try not to OC if you are not 99,9% sure it is stable. Stable also means it does not cause any errors not only it doesn’t crash your PC.

PC

European Disk Version

Not using Dev mode and have not made changes in it

Well guys & girls I am begging for help. I can count on two hands the number of complete flights I have had since SU6 (the one that coincides with the Xbox release. Let me take you back to pre SU6. Like many, my FS2020 was not perfect but CTD’s were fairly infrequent and the game was very enjoyable. All of the problems I have today started after the SU that coincides with the XBOX release. Although I have been able to overcome some, such as the decompression issue when downloading updates and packages i still have major CTD issues.

After SU6, CTD’s became rather frequent and since the game of the year update they happen probably 8 or 9 times out of 10 times I load the game up. I even have CTD’s sometimes when in the menus. The only similarity is that the CTD’s appear to produce the same thing every single time they happen. The game seemingly stutters (visually and audibly) and then the game closes.

There is no way to accurately recreate the CTD’s as they happen sometimes 1/2 mins into the flight and can happen 30 mins into the flight. The CTD’s occur even when the game is running very smoothly, for example when cruising at FL300 and above, where the demand on the GPU is not as much as at lower altitudes.

As I have previously mentioned, I cannot remember the last time I was able to complete a flight. The last Time I came close was A domestic flight in the UK between Heathrow and Manchester using the FBW A320.

It is also worth noting that the CTD issues occur even when the community folder is empty and with every aircraft in the game.

Please help me. I have trawled the forums and facebook groups for fixes for months but have yet to find a solution for my problems. When this game was announced I was beyond excited to return to flight simming after about 7 years away from FSX. Despite the initial excitement I have been deeply disappointed by this game which I find visually stunning but, for me at least, totally unplayable. I would love to love this simulator but right now, it’s not worth half the money I paid for it.

PC Specs:
GPU - Nvidea GeForce RTX 2070 Super
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Memory - 32 GB at 3600 Hz
Storage - Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 500GB
Joystick - Logitech Saitek X52

What Nvidia driver are you using. There are CTD issues with the most recent one.

3 Likes

I would also add that I had close to 100hours without an in-flight crash. I’m careful with my addons, and have few loaded but the “essentials”.

I had my first crash since SU6, and it was a flight where I had Littlenavmap tracking my flight. I stopped using that, Volanta, and even Navigraph SimLink, months ago, and now my sim is very stable.

Strip everything away except the core Asobo stuff until stability is achieved. Establish a baseline before introducing things one at, one at a time if possible.

Instil use LBM all the time, I just don’t connect it to the sim. I suspect SimConnect is still the cause of some of these crashes.

I suspect that LNM has caused at least a couple of CTDs for me, but it’s not common and I never found the exact root cause. I somehow think it happened when I started messing with airspace overlays and panning the map quickly while in the middle of a flight. Ever since I tend to leave airspace overlays disabled and only enable them when I need them. But I’m far from sure it had anything to do with the CTD, as I use LNM 99.99% of my time in MSFS so it’s not that I can replicate at will.

Other times I suspected Simtoolkitpro, so I tend to leave it minimized (or at least with minimal usage) after I have set up my flight plan.

After all MSFS can crash because of a quadrillion different reasons, that’s why there are so many fundamentally different workarounds out there. The other time it crashed when I accidentally asked spad.next to load all data values from the sim (default and LVAR). Apparently MSFS couldn’t handle the multiple requests and died.

My naive question is: MSFS is not Fifa or GTA or NBA 2k or whatever, where the software tends to be isolated and not dependent on 3rd party addons. MSFS (like all serious flight sims) was built from the start under the business model that after some point the majority of its content may be 3rd party addons.

With that in mind, if I were an MSFS software architect I would have designed my software to be super-robust and as immune as possible to 3rd party issues (especially badly written 3rd party apps). In reality MSFS doesn’t seem to be sandbox-ing these addons, but anything can potentially crash the sim at any given time, even in Xbox (which is unheard of).

3 Likes

XBox titles can, and do crash. I’ve seen it happen right in the middle of a live stream. But it would be fair to say they are far less common.

I am getting a CTD every time i try and start a flight or just after. It happens every single time i start a new session, so what i have done is completely delete the whole game from steam plus any folders which relate to mfs. At the moment, i have reinstalled the game but have not tried it yet, so i have not installed anything from the content side of things, no world updates, planes nothing. Is there anything else i should do before i try for the first time since all deletion to try and get this dam game to run . I have an RTX 2080 so have the latest driver installed. Am getting so frustrated with this game suddenly crashing so i hope a fresh start might help. Also i have installed this game on a separate SSD to the C drive as i was running out of space so it has its own 500gb E; drive just so you all know

Hello
The advice I give you is to uninstall the latest driver 497.09 as I advise a few messages above.

Hi there thanks for the reply. I have tried running the game with no add on content. Nothing but Asobo content and issue still happens witht he same frequency.

1 Like

Hi there. At the moment I am currently running the lastest Nvidea driver but the issue was happening as frequently on the previous few drivers, not just the most recent one. Thanks

1 Like

What error code do you see in the Application Event Log? The Event ID will be 1000 I expect.

Yeah! I too got fed up and moved to X-Plane…at least I’m enjoying my flights and going all over the world. Just landed at BIKF…hey its snowing!! Loving my flying again without having to worry about CTD’s.

Spent too much time with MS FS2020 trying to fix CTD’s which ruined the whole product after Update 5 and left me totally grounded.

I do feel for all who are going through the agony and frustration, but unless a “sure shot” fix comes up (in the future), this will “make it” or “break it” for many.

Tomorrow will do BIKF to BGSF in Greenland! The last time I flew this sector was in APR when FS2020 was such an incredible simulator. Didn’t know at that time what would happen after Update 5 and could never have dreamt that I would do this sector again but not in a Microsoft Simulator!!

3 Likes

This issue is also present on the X Box. DLC seems to increase the chances of it occurring. Sometimes straight away upon starting a flight. Sometimes during the flight / final approach.

Rolled back my Nvidia to 496.76 this weekend after having every flight CTD after loading. Just had a CTD during a long flight:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.13.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.13.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000102390b
Faulting process id: 0x3de4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7eb70b7b1573f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 6312afd1-91e1-4017-94f8-8fd97d108c97
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Seems the fault offset and process ID differ in each case. This log pretty much tells me nothing. I disagree with it being GPU drivers after rolling back to a previous version and finding stability. But these cases are still randomly popping up for me, and I’m sure a bunch of other people.

2 Likes

@ ToniGsxr600, Ok thanks, i will give that a shot and see how it goes. It just seems weird to me that for many people they are not experiencing any CTD’s. I have messaged many YTbers about this and very few can say they are having issues. Makes me wonder how the hell this is going to get sorted, is it down to specific hardware, umm not sure

1 Like

I have rolled back my Nvidia drivers as well… Now it is working perfectly for me

1 Like

This has already been solved :d

I never had CTD’s with MSFS 2020 until update 7. I’ve rolled back Nvidia drivers and tried the previous 4 versions only to receive the same, CTD’s. The product is now unusable for me and I won’t waste time troubleshooting it anymore or having it installed on my system. I bought X-Plane 11 two days ago and now I’m making flights again!

I’ll install MSFS 2020 again sometime next year and see where it is. I’ve owned every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator since the beginnings back in the 80’s and all version were good until Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Something bad happened with that version and I found out Microsoft had an external company do the coding. That was a big mistake but I assume they saved money. That was the last version of Microsoft Flight Simulator I purchased until MSFS 2020. It appears with the coding for MSFS 2020 Microsoft made the same mistake again and the software is proof it has the same problem, just on a larger scale. Asobo…

My system:
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Nvidia RTX 3090
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 11 Pro

2 Likes

Same here. After a full week of reinstalling the clean / base game without mods, without OCs keeps CTDing. Never had any issues until now and no changes made to my rig.

Will check in again i a couple of months.
Untill then, thanks for taking my money and leaving me with an unusable product.