Crash to desktop without error message

Same opinion here. It feels like an alpha with lots of potential, not like an end product.
Very disapointed in Microsoft…

That answer says a LOT about what’s happening. That means that the issues we’re having were known (or at least, they knew this would happen). So, instead of doing like most good game developpers do these days (releasing an open alpha, debug the vast majority of the bugs, then get a open beta out, do the same thing again and THEN release a final product), they simply rushed it on the market and now as a result the ‘average MSF player’ is experiencing an alpha for 80$…

I do not think MFS2020 players want to be test subjects to debug/reports bugs; we want to enjoy flying. That’s all.
You want me to WORK for you, Microsoft? Okay, pay me; not the other way around…!

2 Likes

:smirk: So his crash again? for me not at the moment …

Finally found a solution for my problems.

• I edited my VRAM Pagefile using 1024 + GB of RAM x 1,5
  • Did set GPU Priority for FS in Windows to high performance
  • Disabled OC Tuner on my motherboard (ASUS Prime 450 PLUS)
  • disabled core 0 and 1 in Task Manager -> Details - Affinity while playing

Performed one VFR Flight and one IFR Flight with a Go Around, Sim stays stable!

4 Likes

Guys,

I think all the tinkering is moot … I believe the CTD’s happen when the simulator is unable to fetch data from the cloud. If you are running/flying at low settings, turn up the graphics level in flight, you will hear the same stuttering in the music/sound, and the display freezes. If the server is able to provide the data, the sim proceeds, else it crashes.

This is my hypothesis. There also seems to be some thread sensitivity that makes the sim very crash prone at high clock rates for CPU/Memory. Don’t know why that is. Dumbing things from a performance perspective gives a stabler flight on the pc (No crashes) but I think MS/Asobo has been tinkering in the background with the servers, because my machine doesn’t do the CTD anymore.

I think you might be right about it related to accessing the cloud server. I’m seeing a random crash here and there (some not for hours and some soon after entering the menu and loading up a flight) all regardless of the settings changes made on my computer.

I have been having issues with CTD no error msg… Some five minutes in, some 4 hours in.
I9 9900K not currently OC
32 GB Ram
2060 Super 8 GB Ram

Ultra Settings, 50 FPS… Crash
High Settings, 60 FPS… Crash
Low Settings, 60 FPS… Crash

Ran Xplane 11 and nothing crashed. Although the eye candy of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is awesome, I will go back to stable over eye candy.

Maybe in a few months… maybe not. Does anyone think they really care?

2 Likes

Apparently, I have had the simulator crash to desktop once on my descent to my destination. This is a very common “curse” with Microsoft Flight Simulation over the years. Perhaps Asobo team can nip it in the bud in due course with this recent release. I don’t think it makes any difference in what computer hardware or unit you use.

1 Like

I think there are several root causes associated with CTDs. Some are connected to USB devices, some can be solved wit limiting GPS, some can be resolved by changing Ram speeds etc. But unfortunately here is no general rule what might help
In the end it is up to MS/Asobo to solve this by releasing the patch.

5 Likes

Another thing to note was early on I was running 32gb of memory at the same clock speed of 2133mhz but I was still getting the CTD. I discovered in the Windows event logs that even with 32gb of memory on the ‘ultra’ graphic setting, the game was CTD due to a low memory condition.

When I upgraded to 64gb to solve the issue, I went for the higher clock speed at the same time but the CTD event in Windows Event logs was different now. When I adjusted to the stable 2133mhz, I have been flying solid ever since. I have logged almost 20 hours and not a single crash and I have performed multiple landings in heavily player and ai populated areas. So this wasn’t simply flying for 20 hours over an ocean or anything simple like that. I am not suggesting that 2133mhz is the sweet spot, but I think we are all experiencing a different type of CTD. Before finally coming to this resolution for myself, I could barely play the game for about an hour to three hours. Always crashing near a busy airport either while on approach or passing over low enough.

I think it’s important to walk down the basic troubleshooting guide here. Once you have walked down every step I would add, make sure the drives used for the game are not full or almost full, watch your memory usage cause in my experience 32gb doesn’t cut if you have background programs going, and check clock speeds cpu/memory.

I hope the fix to the CTDs are buried in the upcoming patch as this game is utterly amazing. (I might be biased though, long time MS Flight fan here.)

Very nice tip, thank you

1 Like

I use a very old PC, i think my CPU has not even the minimum requirements (i5-3570).
Even with the lowest settings i had sometimes less then 10 fps with a 1050Ti.

Then i changed a lot of Settings (in Windows too) and updated to the newest Nvidia Drivers.
Now i have about 30 fps, but the Simulation was crashing without error massages to desktop, sometimes in loading screen, sometimes while flying…

Now im starting the FS through Nvidia Geforce Experience App (without optimize the game - keep ur settings), no crash anymore since 3 flights.

The Youtube Video " Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - How to BOOST FPS and Increase Performance on any PC " helped me a lot to find the perfect Settings.

Another helpful Video for the Desktop crashes was " How to Fix MSFS 2020 Crashing or Freezing! Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 "

Maybe u wanna try this and report if that helped you, for me it did !

Cheers

Edit 3 hours later, it did NOT !
CTD (2 times) again, yesterday it worked perfect…
Sorry for wasting time.

Just tried the windows update 2004 seemed to fly ok, in less busy area’s but anything with alot of buildings instant CTD with no error. I tried this from Thruxton Airport towards Gatwick Airport. Now normally i get a crash around Farnborough Airport, I dont think this is Our PC Systems but a cloud issue because when on approach to Gatwick i encountered stutters (like it’s loading in the textures) then stutters stop for about 2 secs then instant freeze and CTD.

My build
Ryzen 2600x
16gb
5700xt
1tb SSD

Some settings on Ultra 1440p, frames around 35fps. Overall the flight is smooth, but load in any big city for example LAS, Toyko, London it’s a instant CTD and the strange thing is when you select Fly and your in the cockpit frames seem smooth then boom CTD. you can see the game stutters before selecting fly aswel as it loads in the the textures, buildings ect…

Welcome.
Have you tested with all settings at medium to see if the stutters and crash goes away?

Ok just done another trail test from Farnborough to Gatwick, some stutters but no crashes!

V-Sync off
Render Scaling 100
TAA on
Turrain Level of detail 100
Turrain Vector Data Medium
Buildings Ultra
Trees Medium
Grass and Bushes Medium
Object Level of Detail 200
Volumetric Clouds Ultra
Texture Resolution Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering X16
Texture Supersampling 6x6
Texture Synthesis Ultra
Water Waves Medium
Shadow Maps 768
Turrain Shadows 1024
Contact Shadows High
Windsheild effects high
Reflections High
Light Shafts Ultra
Bloom on
Depth of Field Ultra

it seems that the Terrain Level of Detail and Texture Supersampling is the culprit

Give it a go and see if this stops the CTD

Hi. Can’t test it myself. Don’t have CTD. Perhaps other people can try.
I suggested turning down settings to see if reducing system stressing would help. Keep flying and enjoy

Where do you go to up page filing

And another Crash it’s like even on the lower settings it still hangs, there was no error. Plus my system is run on watercooling. Out of Gatwick frames went down to 15fps ouch. then towards London boom CTD.On the Dev Tools if you select show frames it mainly states limited by threads which is interesting.

Tried using Vsync ON, 30 or 60?
I meant default medium settings. not what you show

What does water cooling have to do with CTD? I can see cashing due to heat without any type of cooling. Unless your water is leaking on your GPU?