Crash to desktop without error message

Yes, when I try that I get this:

The only options are “Search for updated driver on Windows Update” which does nothing, and Close.

When I run the actual installer itself, it completes but when I check the device after the required restart it still shows the Windows driver.

Try right clicking instead and select update driver. You should see…image

I can get to the folder now, but the realtek drivers are packaged with a ton .inf files. I’m not sure which one is supposed to be for my system.

I don’t really see a way around this, so I guess for now I just have to wait for the devs to figure out why MSFS is having trouble with certain audio setups. I don’t have these issues with anything else besides MSFS.

Just had a CTD on a flight from KSEA to KSFO, even though affinity on Core0 was unchecked and real time protection in Windows Defender was off.

Event Viewer details are as follows:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fc94fca
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fc94fca
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000040ea8c
Faulting process id: 0x1798
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6d66659d379b4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: f7de62a6-95ec-4cb6-9d00-883387baa4d3
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.11.7.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Was hoping that the solution of unchecking CPU0 and turning off real time protection in Windows Defender would work, but this problem is not resolved!

WebAssembly doesn’t have a way to throw — or catch — an exception itself. Yet.

They’re working on it, but it’s not done yet.

What performance information led you to changing the CPU affinity? You are messing around with the Windows 10 core scheduler and CPU design architecture.

I have now flown from San Antonio to Dallas and had live traffic with the setting and no crash - but still not a single plane !?!, previously with Ai 100% i have had one, although I had done everything that was suggested in the forum, even though affinity on Core0 was unchecked and real time protection in Windows Defender was off. - It doesn’t work. If the computer wants, it lets me fly with AI traffic - even to the end - or lets me crash right at the start, as it likes. :wink: Asobo should improve the AI traffic further. Live traffic alone is too boring, especially at less crowded airports.

Hi @kliff0rd7070 ,

have you tried to disable your onbaord sound in bios for a testcase, as mentioned ?
( you can also disable it in device manager, but if you never use onboard soundcard you not need it to activate it in bios )

Then let us know which usb dac you own … usb complain or do you need extra drivers ?
Please check your sound settings… do NOT set useless settings like 300kbits what ever, you are not a bat :wink: . A very high quality setting is 24bit/48khz … i’am pretty sure you also not notice a diff if you set normal 16bit/44khz ( CD ).

As @willisxdc mentioned… this ** nvidia High Definition Audio make sometime realy trouble ( like other stuff from nvidia in meanwhile ) . I personaly choose manual nvidia driver installation and I NOT installed these nvidia sound drivers ( I not need that because I not use sound in that way ). You can also try to disable it in device manager.

As you see, I have lots more devices ( also asio drivers which you not see ) and all works fine…

Just wanted to report that I decided to reinstall MSFS for the heck of it to see if that helped the CTDs. I am having CTDs after ~60-90 minutes. Answer: no, CTD as per usual. Sound stutters 2-3 times, then desktop.

IDK. I give up. My annoyance with this has transitioned to a complete loss of interest in the sim. I kinda don’t care if I walk away from this for several months.

then avoid these “spot”… if then at other places no CTD , then it might be a bug in map. There is already on thread in forum where a specific position let crash the sim.

You have million other places in the world.

Please raise a ZenDesk Ticket… Report the Position where the CTD occurs and developers can fix it.

Additional you can post here in forum the position and users can recheck it. If a new bug, then we can open a new Bug/Issue thread.

There are third party payware airports causing an CTD, but Zendesk isn’t doing anything about it. They think it is a problem caused by your PC and in the end, they tell you to contact the developer of the payware airport directly. But there is no link in the content manager.
So, if you experience an CTD, please check if it is caused by an nearby third party payware airport.

List of known third party payware add on airfields causing an CTD:
LFOU
LFMD
EGTB
LSGS
S20
GCGM

1 Like

Referring to the discussion regarding the crash to desktop issue. I have a NVIDIA RTX 3070 video card and expirienced frequent CTD’s with Microsoft Flight Sim 2020. I found a sollution which appears to work for mee. The video card becomes to hot and than automatically shuts down (via CTD). I have used an external (normal) ventilator to cool the card (which worked) but I also found another solution - via MSI Afterburner I made an adjustment in the ventilator manual settings - the warmer the card gets, the faster the ventilator now works - and that seems to have solved the problem. I hope it will work for you too!

I just wanted to let you know so you can advise other clients if they have the same problem.

hi - see my post below - hope it helps - adjust your ventilator settings via MSI Afterburner. For me it worked! I agree it is soooo anoying after a long flight you get a CTD.

Same with me!!!

It was suggested by charlieqt888 five days ago that he had solved his CTD problem by unchecking CPU (0) and turning off Real Time Protection in Windows Defender. I decided to try what he suggested. On a flight 4 days ago I flew from KBFI to KPSC without a CTD. However, as reported 1 day ago, on a flight from KSEA to KSFO I had a CTD while approaching the BTG VOR, so have concluded that unchecking CPU (0) does not prevent a CTD. The affinity settings are reset after every flight, but I have decided to not do this from now on. As willisxdc and PacificSet90456 have pointed out, doing this might cause other issues, which I do not need! For now, will just save the flight at regular intervals. Hopefully those who created the software will eventually sort it out.

I finally got an ERROR message when CTD :smiley:

we spoke often about overheat issues :wink:

If your 3070 overheated, you made possible former manualy a wrong setting or your pc case is simple to small.

of course not… why ever he have no longer ctd, it was not because of these setting :wink:

It is dangerous and not helpful…

then you have ctd WITH error message :joy:

is there also a log in windows event viewer ?

Yes! That too! I get a lot off ERRORs with dmw.exe and too little virtual memory allocated (I have custom set VM from 2047-18000 MB). I also have 16 GB of RAM and 8 GB on my RTX 2060 super…

Programnavn med feil: dwm.exe, versjon: 10.0.19041.508, tidsangivelse: 0xcd97c98b
Modulnavn med feil: KERNELBASE.dll, versjon: 10.0.19041.662, tidsangivelse: 0xec58f015
Unntakskode: 0xc00001ad
Feilforskyvning: 0x000000000010bd5c
Feil prosess-ID: 0x2798
Feil starttid for program: 0x01d6d77208ff03d7
Feil programbane: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Feil modulbane: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Rapport-ID: cdd8e853-6d7b-482b-a13d-8557ae731b6e
Fullstendig navn på feilpakke: 
Relativ program-ID for feilpakke: